Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i'm having trouble puttin the car into 1st. it usually happens when i'm slowing down and shove it into neutral at a traffic light, then when i go to put it back into 1st it wont go in.
what the #%^ is going on????????

·
Registered
875 Posts
What speed are you intending to engage first at? It is significantly harder to engage first in its mid and upper ranges, I'd recommend double-clutching on your 2->1 downshift, this will smooth things out a lot. You'll also incur a LOT less wear on your transmission over time if you combine this with rev-matching.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I sometimes have difficulty shifting into first gear, in any manual-trans. car, not just the Focus. I do what the owner's manual says to do if you can't get into reverse: put it back into neutral, push the clutch in/out, then back in, and try to put in first again. If it won't go, I try again. Eventually it works. Never try to force anything - you'll only end doing more damage.

Oh, and ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC, that sig banner you have is freaking HUGE. It needs to be downsized a bit.

·
Registered
875 Posts
SVT4ME said:
Oh, and ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC, that sig banner you have is freaking HUGE. It needs to be downsized a bit.
You're still displaying signatures? Ick!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't down gear into first, thats just stupid. its too low a gear to down gear into.
Let me try to re-explaining it.
While i'm waiting at a red light waiting for a green the car is in neutral, then when it go green and i go to put it into first it wont go sometimes.

Hope that cleared it up from my original post.

Cheers
James.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take it to Ford. That's it man. Sounds to me like it's the beggining of the problem I had. Ford, straight to Ford. It's under warranty - let'em fix it. I had my whole clutch assembly replaced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn i didn't think it would be that serious.
i'll get them to look at it when i go in for my 3000km service then.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Projekt`[J] said:
I don't down gear into first, thats just stupid. its too low a gear to down gear into.
Not if you're stopping on snow/ice. Engine braking, man![:)]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a fair point,
But theres no snow or ice down here unless you go up into the mountains during winter, other wise engine brake into 2nd is the lowest i would go.
but thats only me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It could also be a syncro. out of alignment. A friend of mine blew a clutch in half due to his 1-2 syncro. being out of whack. On a hill no less.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why are you putting you car in neutal at the light. If you had an auto would you put it in neutral at light then shift to drive. You are putting extra wear on the synro's each time you shift from first to neutral and then neutral to first, and also extra wear on the clutch disk each time you engage and disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what do you sugest had one?
any particular tips u wanna share?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Can someone define double clutching again for people like me who are dumb

there is no reason to double clutch. None. They syncros will last the life of the tranny. That is what they are for. Like was said, take it to the dealer for warenty work.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It could also be a syncro. out of alignment. A friend of mine blew a clutch in half due to his 1-2 syncro. being out of whack. On a hill no less.

BS... a synco can't be "out of alignment" and a syncro won't blow the clutch. Period. Can't even argue that one. A synco is nothing more than a ring with clutch material on it to slow the gear down to the next gear speed so it ingages easier.. or sycronizes the gears.. hence the name. You are seriously missinformed about manual transmission operation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts