Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 and sometimes when I stop and try to put it into 1st it is a little hard to go in. Usually it will be easier if I double up on the clutch. I am at 96k miles and the clutch doesnt seem to be slipping. Any ideas? I did have the linkage done about 10k mile ago because it broke.

Nate

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I have the same problem sometimes goin into reverse or first...I think its just a stubborn transmission.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Are you at a dead stop before you put it in???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am at a complete dead stop. It will be stubborn sometimes in reverse too. Mainly first.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You could try double clutching it. If you're having trouble getting it into the gate, put the stick in neutral, let up on the clutch all the way for a heart beat, then clutch and select the gear. If that works it may be a synchro issue, I'm no tranny tech, I just hed a Neon that didnt like to go into reverse after 140k miles, double clutching helped it along.

·
Registered
189 Posts
^^ Yup, I think that's just the way it's made. But hey, now you have an excuse to get a high performance clutch! [clap]

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
mine does it too.
i'm still trying to get used to it, as I know all foci have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
mine goes in pretty smooth I use to have that problem but switched my fluid to redline and now i'm goin to royal purple fluid try that it might solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
and don't just slam it into gear you could possibly break the shifter linkage just ease the clutch out a bit and it should go in

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
IT's a sign of your clutch going out. How long do you expect it to last?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
^^ I'm gonna have to disagree.
most of us report having that problem since since driving out from the dealership parking lot.
it's a known fact that there's something with this transmission that makes it this way, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's about to take a number 2. Just a faulty design.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
royal purple will not help i am having the same problem and i have changed clutch and put royal purple in it did not help. now i have gm syncromesh and it is a bit smoother but still not fixed. it must be syncros.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine is working fine. I did have a 02 Nissan Spec V. It pretty much had this problem from day one. Try what sleeper01 said. I just slipped it into 2nd gear and then if would fall into 1st gear with no problem. It kind of sucks but you'll get use to it. You could even try downshifting as you slow. This should help as well.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. Check that the linkage isnt touching anything else, when i checked there was a loose screw that prevented me to switch to 1st gear, and that was all, check that before investing in a big transmision repair.

nate2006 said:
I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 and sometimes when I stop and try to put it into 1st it is a little hard to go in. Usually it will be easier if I double up on the clutch. I am at 96k miles and the clutch doesnt seem to be slipping. Any ideas? I did have the linkage done about 10k mile ago because it broke.

Nate

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
running a diff. fluid helped me a lot and and I never have a problem with my tranny goin into gear now. Also the synchos will eventually start to go out around 60k if you run your car very hard. My friends tranny wound'nt even go into 3rd because of the synchos and he masses his car, and now aftermarket high performance ones are out yet from what I understand

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
pspringe said:
IT's a sign of your clutch going out. How long do you expect it to last?
How does that make any sense whatsoever? If the clutch is wearing out it should be easier to put the transmission in gear because the clutch won't be engaging, the same as pushing it in. This is a syncronizer issue...the blocker isn't allowing him to put the transmission into gear from a dead stop with the clutch disengaged. If double-clutching (which matches the transmission's revs with the engine's) makes it easier, that pretty much confirms the syncro issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts