Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it happens when i go around sharp left corners, the rear passenger wheel will make the whole rear end wobble violently , if i jack the car up and grab at 3 and 9 the whole tire has alot of movement, i changed the hub and bearing, the movement is at the knuckle where the upper and lower control arms connect to the knuckle but i cant tell which bushing or if all bushings are bad

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
How many miles? If its a decent amount and you have crap roads like in Mi, I wouldn't be surprised if you need multiple arms or bushing, I think they have like 3 arms and 6 bushings per side.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Change them all in that case.

Seriously, you either need to look closer or let others work on the car, if you can see the knuckle moving you can see the loose bushing(s). Look CLOSER.

And It should be obvious that we can't, so ??????????????????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
booblinker and ztecDon, yes i moved to the suspension after i changed the hub and bearing, it has now 180,000 miles, in great cond however yea bushings are going everywhere.
im pretty much on my own when i work on my car so its hard to wiggle the tire and look at each bushing up close but the tire does a pull movement so i figured one bushing went bad and therefore caused the rest to go bad. So saying that my next question would be ............
should i find some used control arms from a salvage or used for cheap cost and it will be ok for a length of time worth the work or
should i buy new arms or
should i buy JUST THE BUSHINGS, i have read horror stories about fitting new bushings in stock arms and getting them out

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The only "just bushing" fix involves pressing in sleeved Poly bushings, and it's a big job.

Replacement arms are relatively cheap, but most hdwe. will probably have to be cut out & replaced (rusted solid in the sleeves).

If you can figure which arm(s) have the play you can replace just the bad ones for now.

Rear lowers are the most common, but front lowers can go bad as well to match the description.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts