Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, you may remember the issue I had a week or two ago with the psychotic homie and his Acura CL. After some contemplation, he's decided to take my advice regarding the project. In other words, he's doing what I'm telling him. I gave him a repair guide and told him what needs to be done and he is doing it. Input is appreciated. The plan of action for the time being is...

1) Get the head resurfaced. I know a guy at a machine shop who will do it for $20 and homie is taking it in on Monday.
2) New head bolts. I'm ordering them tomorrow. He has exhausted his 2 uses and I mean come on, they're probably warped too.
3) Put it all together with the new headgasket, change all of the fluids and spark plugs and see what happens.

Any input is appreciated and also, homie says that he bought a new thermostat prior to this head gasket blowing chickens on him but it has consistently been overheated-on, so does replacing the thermostat sound necessary or eh? I want to say it's necessary but he's gun-shy to spend the money (which is what messed him up in the first place). The block looks fine, it's the F22B1 engine so likely the head is the only real issue.

In addition, the cooling system has been refurbished although it didn't do him much good considering that he put the new head gasket on a warped head with likely warped head bolts = NO. Once again, any input is appreciated.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Or, Homie can buy a used JDM engine with 30k on it from Japan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subbed for the lunacy

Check to make sure the t-stat isn't installed backwards.
HAHAHA I lol'd. This dude is a lunatic but he's a friend in the circle and you know this stupid southern loyalty+stupidity=my attitude towards others deal that I have going on. I told him that I'm not touching it because I don't need him accusing me of being an automotive death-dealer again but I CERTAINLY WILL CHECK XD

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
La luna mexicana..............

·
Registered
495 Posts
While the cylinder head is off he should also check the blocks deck surface for warping. Easy enough to do with a straight edge. |Specially where he was constantly overheating the engine and running it with improperly adjusted valves and an inop water pump.

I didn't take the time to read thought that other thread entirely. Have you already replaced the timing belt and water pump? If not now would be the time. Also replacing the thermostat at this time would be a must. For what it's worth, I work on these engines on a weekly basis and know the 4th and 5th gen Accord/Legend/CL chassis specifically!

From what I did read of the previous thread...sounds like your friend should hand the wrenching duties over to you for this job.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You're obviously a natural red-head (implied stepchild).

IIRC the general consensus was that you should just avoid this chump and let him dig his own grave. Not sure if it's the womanly/motherly nature but you obviously didn't take that advice.

GL. But we all know how this is going to turn out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this is kind of my last ditch effort to help him with his ride. Everyone thinks I'm nuts for it (friend/family circle wise) and I agree but crap, he's listening to my advice now and he's come around after I chewed him out. I'll check the block myself on Monday before I take him to machine ANYTHING. If it turns out that the block itself it warped (from outward appearance the first time, it didn't appear so but that's worth little to nothing), by some miracle, then I can assume it's going to work.

In addition, the water pump and thermostat has been replaced, I saw to that myself during the initial repair so at the very least, the cooling system is functioning normally.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
G/L - this one will need a LOT of hand holding to avoid trouble.

"whadda ya mean I shouldn't have tightened the head bolts down one by one from one end to the other?"

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Bajo la luna mexicana(under the Mexican moon)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the head bolt is seized. Any advice? I am having my buddy call the machine shop today to figure out what his options are. I believe two head bolts are seized and one was rounded off.

FABULOUS.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, the head bolt is seized. Any advice? I am having my buddy call the machine shop today to figure out what his options are. I believe two head bolts are seized and one was rounded off.

FABULOUS.
I have run into this a few times on these heads. if you have access to a TIG or MIG welding machine there is a way. I usually look through the used head bolts and find the ones with good heads on them. Cut them in half and weld one to the top of each of the rounded and seized bolts that are still in the head. This will give you more leverage on the stud as well as more access to the head of the stud. There should be no need to use an extension or deep socket. This reduces the chances of rounding off another head.

If you don't have access to a welding machine you are left with the option of drilling the heads off the studs. best way to do this is in as many stages as possible. Start off small and work your way up. They are hardened studs so you will need HS hardened steel drill bits.

Once you have the heads of the studs drilled off you should be able to remove the head and then use some heat and vice grips/stud puller to remove the remainder of the bolt from the block.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Low mileage imported engines for those chassis are pretty cheap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts