Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some tires 185/65R15 that I wish to use on my 2002 Focus. Obviously they will fit the original 15" rims and there is minimal circumference difference, but there is 10mm width difference. Does this make much difference to load bearing, etc?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
its the same rolling circumference to within a few mm. for snow tires you want to go with a slightly slimmer tire, that way it will cut through the snow better.

if you go with the smaller size you wont have any negative effects

and [welcome] to ff.com

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you get alot of snow I would go with the larger size. Otherwise go with the smaller of the two for improved fuel economy.
By smaller you mean the narrower of the two, correct? Narrower = less friction and theoretically better gas mileage. A smaller diameter tire would increase RPM and increase gas use.

·
Registered
238 Posts
By smaller you mean the narrower of the two, correct? Narrower = less friction and theoretically better gas mileage. A smaller diameter tire would increase RPM and increase gas use.
Yes, I was referring to the narrowness of the tire as the difference between the two sizes he specified are only 5mm different in diameter. So to be more specific: Snow: 195/60R15 No Snow/Better Mileage: 185/65R15

1 - 7 of 7 Posts