Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I don't post on here often but check in from time to time. However, I am having an issue with my 2013 Focus SE.
My car did not seem to have any of the recall issues for these cars (Door Latch, BCM Reprogram, and now the 18S32 recall).
However, I'm getting ready to sell my Focus to get a bigger vehicle to start a family, so I decided to get all the recall work done.
I got the car back this past Wednesday, everything was fine, and it said I didn't have the tank deformation issue and I had code P0420. They replaced the purge valve and reprogrammed my PCM.
Drove it home, no issues. Then Saturday Morning on the way over to a friend's house, my throttle becomes really studdered and delayed, and eventually my CEL came on.
I made an appointment with the same dealership to get this fixed, but in the meantime I figured out I have code P2227 (I have an OBDII Scanner and use Torque).
After doing some digging, Ford says the issue is my PCM doesn't jive with my BARO or MAP PIDs, which leads me to believe the reprogram is what screwed things up.

Anyone else have this issue? Needless to say, I'm pretty irritated that my car was working fine and now all of a sudden I have an issue after they "fixed" things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I took the car back to the dealership and they tried to do the pinpoint test and said my PCM was bad, but my battery died during the testing.
I'm pretty sure it's the original battery for the car because I have not replaced the battery since 2015. Anyway, I replaced the battery and now the car runs fine, but the P2227 code is still being thrown.
The dealership claims I need to completely replace the PCM, but I'm not at all convinced it's the PCM. Still kind of annoying that I've never had an issue with my car until AFTER I took it to the dealership to get these recalls completed and they reprogrammed my PCM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're telling me I have to pay for it. So get this: now I'm getting code P2196 as well. I also plugged my OBD II into my wife's RAV4 and got the same barometric pressure reading as my car (based on the car's input; not atmospheric pressure). It seems to me like it shouldn't be the BARO Sensor. I'm starting to wonder if my MAP sensor just needs cleaned or replaced, because that's a common denominator between both fault codes. Also, my car is running fine now but it starts up a little hard; a symptom of the P2196 code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question because I get the same code. Did you need up getting your PCM replaced? How much did it cost out of pocket at the ford dealer? My car was tuned and threw a p0420 code, got the cat fixed but from what I read the pcm can cause those sort of. Gonna shy away from the whole time stuff and eventually just buy a faster car lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up going back to the dealership that I bought it from, and they confirmed that the PCM needs to be replaced if the Barometric Pressure Sensor is bad, since it's integrated into the PCM. However, if you still happen to have your warranty for emissions, it should be covered. Apparently I still have my warranty, which I didn't realize, and I can get the PCM replaced for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts