Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at gettin some konig kolor rims for my LG sedan, but i can only find them in 18s. i have the eibach prol-kit(about a 1.5" drop) on my car. will i experience any rubbing issues? also wat tire size should i get? would a 215/40/r18 work w/o rubbing. any help would be great asw im lookin at buying them w/ in the next few days.

r

do youll recommend i look at gettin a different style rim in 17s?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
No, as long as the rim offset is correct.

You can have 18" rims on over a 2" drop with that tire size and have no rubbing issues, as long as the offset is correct, that is the key as everything else you mentioned is correct.

You want to ensure the rim offset is as close to 42mm as possible, up to 45mm. You should NOT have any rubbing issues of any kind with that offset/rim/tire size.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
They will..... you have the proper offset, the proper tire size (although some go with a 35 series tire on the 18" but the '5' different is minimal, especially on a 1.5" only drop, won't make a difference and the perfect width (215). You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thnx for the help s2. i went ahead n ordered them, they should be in next week. i think the graphite on the LG car will look real good
thnx again.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Do you got any pics of the rims, just curious......

Where did you purchase them though?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
These?

If so..... DAYAM AWESOME!!! Those will look gorgeous on LG.... [thumb]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes those are them. i found a pic of them on a lg focus. i think they look awesome.
thnx again for the help i almost didnt get them b/c i thought they would rub.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The perfect size is 18x7.5 with 40mm offset. Then the right tires are 215/35/18 or MAYBE 215/40/18. If you look at mine, those are 215/35/18 with the size rim i stated.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I've always been told this and been involved with that 'theory' in the past (and read on multiple forums, also my buddy has the same exact offset/tire/rim combination as well as drop) and has no rubbing problems.

Keep in mind we're talking 2 millimetres, that's about a 1/16 of an inch. No worries. You have to be concerned with the 38mm offset that some go with.

It's always been common knowledge as far as everything I've seen in the past 3-4 years that 42mm to 45mm is the ideal range but anything 40-49 will be fine also. Anything outside that range, regardless of rims size (even 19" from what I've heard but no bigger) will not rub on a 1.5 or less drop.

I dunno, don't worry about it man, 2mm won't make any difference.

For the record, my buddy (another one) had a 2.2" drop, he's riding on 18" rims, 35 series at 215 on a 42mm drop and NO RUBBING at all.

Your completely in the 'ok' range......

But in saying that, Mike is correct also. Everyone had a different opinion on the exact offset but I guess, what I'm trying to get at is you won't rub with anything 40-49 on a 1.5" drop with your current setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, thnx. i cant wait for them to come in. now i have to decide on a tire. wat do u think is best, i want an all season tire. right now im lookin at the kumho ecsta asx any opinion on that?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Another thing, you only really have to worry if your outside the 40-49 range or running tires over 225 or got an insane drop.

For a 1.5" drop you have plenty of suspension travel left (spacing in the wheel wells) and the difference in offset is minimal. Some rim manufactures will list it as a 4x108 with only a 40 offset option, some have 42, some have a broader range.

Regardless you won't have any problems.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
blueshadowfocus said:
ok, thnx. i cant wait for them to come in. now i have to decide on a tire. wat do u think is best, i want an all season tire. right now im lookin at the kumho ecsta asx any opinion on that?
I've heard very good things about Kumho. Are you planning to keep your stock rims? If so, honestly I'd get a set of all season or winter tires for your stock rims (or just keep whatever is on there now) and get a good set of summer tires for your new rims.

99% of people remove their aftermarket rims for winter......

EDIT:

Yeah so your from Louisiana so no 'winter' there.... why not go with a high performance tire (summer directional tread) if you don't run into any incliment weather conditions there..??? Just curious........

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
As for tires, I'd go with a 215/35/18 tire, something with an aggressive tread for those rims. Check with THEFRUSH as he's heavy into autox and knows his tires very well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thnx for the link. good point i might look into just a high performance summer tire since we dont have a winter here, n it hardly even gets cold enough to ice the ground. ill look into that. im thinkin kumho tires only b/c ive heard good things about them n they only cost about $80-$90 a piece instead of the other tires that are $110+ a piece

thnx for all ur help s2

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was just worried about the 215/35/r18 tires not having enough padding b/c they will be driven about 80 miles daily, but if thats the better size to go w/ then ill go w/ those. ill pm thefrush

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Just before I sold my focus, I was looking into rims/tires for my S2. The tires I was looking at where KUMHO, can't remember which model though but those were the ones I was looking at.

I also looked at some Contisports but I liked the Kumho's better..........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts