Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I could fit 18x8 wheels. Im lookin at the Konig zero, but am leaning towards an 18. I have an '02 SVT with an Eibach Pro System Plus suspension package. Any info would be awesome! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasnt sure if there would be any clearance issues or not. I dont want any rubbin or anything so Ill probably have to stick with a 17. They have 17x7,17x8, and 18x8.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
The only thing I can say for a fact is that your ride would be really rough. i have a pro kit too with the stock wheels and I'm actually goimg down a size because its too hard on my suspension. However, if you live in an area with a lot of smooth tarmac you'll be fine and i'll be jealous lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SVT isnt my daily or anything, but I would like a half way decent ride. I'm not too crazy on her, I just like her to look nice, but there does come a time where I would have to sacrifice the "look" I want for performance.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
well if its not your daily it would be pretty easy to keep two sets of wheels and tires around. i'm pretty sure the 18s would fit, i've seen a few SVTs on here with 18s but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to sizes and stuff. But 18s r a little too big for my taste since the car is pretty small but hey whatever floats your boat

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
if you get 18s make sure you get some really low pro tires

they will rub on every turn you take.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
While not optimal there are some 18's that will probably fit but the offset of the wheel is critical. A stock SVT wheel has an offset of 49mm and that's what you want to stay as close to as possible. Anything less and you start pushing it toward the fender lip and potential rubbing issues. With the 8 inch rim width you're already a half inch closer (stock SVT rims are 7" wide) and the reduction in height further reduces clearances. For optimum performance 17"s are a better option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the purpose of this post is to see others views that maybe I havnt looked at. Looks like ill be stickin with the 17s. I just liked the 18s because it filled everything nicely, but I would like to drive her from time to time. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
dude just lower your car and you will be set.

thats all you need to do to fill up the wheel gap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Eibach Pro Plus suspension and sway bar package. So it shouldnt be too bad, I bought the car totalled and have been working on it for almost a year. Now Im finally gettin to the wheels and tires!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess my next question would be 17x7 or 17x8? Im not much of a tire and wheel guy so sorry for all the noob questions.

·
Registered
548 Posts
18x8's with a decent ride would work IF you can find rims with a offset of 47mm. That way you can use 215/40/18 or 225/35/18 (factory overall tire height) tires if you can find the 225's in that size. Even if you go with 17's they will rub with anything less than 45mm or anything more than 49mm offset.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Thats the purpose of this post is to see others views that maybe I havnt looked at. Looks like ill be stickin with the 17s. I just liked the 18s because it filled everything nicely, but I would like to drive her from time to time. Thanks for the input.

Theoretically, if you size the tires correctly the overall diameter, whether a 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 inch wheel should all be the same and fill the fender opening the same. The only visual difference will be the wheel size as a result of the lower tire profile. If performance is a concern stick with the smaller wheels. 16" is optimum but has a smaller performance tire selection. 17" is OK, but make sure to use lightweight wheels and tires to reduce rotating mass. Its very hard to justify a 18" wheel from a performance standpoint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats understandable, I just figured 18s would pair with the car better. Im not looking to race of anything, but I would like it to ride decently.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Thats understandable, I just figured 18s would pair with the car better. Im not looking to race of anything, but I would like it to ride decently.
A tire with more sidewall will ride better in the long run. A "45" aspect ratio seems to be a good compromise between ride and performance and just happens to be ideal on a 17" rim (215/45-17).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill keep that in mind, right now Im tryin to get the offset for the wheels Im lookin at. It isnt on their website, so I guess Ill try a shop around here. As far as a 17" goes, should I go with a 7, 7.5, or 8? If probably all depends on the offset huh?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Ill keep that in mind, right now Im tryin to get the offset for the wheels Im lookin at. It isnt on their website, so I guess Ill try a shop around here. As far as a 17" goes, should I go with a 7, 7.5, or 8? If probably all depends on the offset huh?

I'm not a fan of the "bigger and wider" is better theory. I have 17x7" ford racing wheels and 215/45-17 tires. I see no reason for anything taller or wider. In reality if i had to do it over again I'd stick with a light weight 16" wheel and tire combo. The desired wheel width really depends on the tire width you want to use. In my case the tire and wheel sizes are an ideal match. And yes, tire size, wheel size and width are integral parts of the offset/clearance issue. The referenced tire and wheel combo with the optimal 49mm offset works well with the Pro Kit or System. Why gamble on anything else? (note 45mm offset works well with this tire and wheel size as well).

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMO, I would go with the stock SVT rims and tires. You can buy all 3 stock rim sets from fordracingparts.com and also the WRC rim. Nitto Neogens (great tire IMO) go for less than $100 a piece. And with your Eibach pro system, the car will look great!!!! No need to go with a wider tire unless you have some serious power adders, and 18's are too big for the foci IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts