Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like the title says... I have installed a 180* thermostat and I am wondering what the fans should be set at in order to take advantage of the lower temp thermostat. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I think I have mine coming on at 188*... but I cant check it right now (at work)

·
Registered
975 Posts
running at 188 is too cold. ur gas milage probably sucks. i have a 180 and in winter months i raise it into the 200s to keep the car around 195-205

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
32 on the highway and 25 mixed driving..........

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing... this isnt my first rodeo [rolleyes]

Setting your fan turn on temps that high in winter doesnt accomplish anything, it may warm up past 180* if you let it set long enough but as soon as you start moving you temps will go right back down to 180* .....havent you even logged your temps in winter???

I know for a fact that in summer with a 180* T-stat that when you drive down the high way your coolent doesnt get above 180-185* and in the winter it sees those numbers even less often (especially with 32* air moving through it as you drive)

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
what are the advantages of running a cooler thermostat anyway? Pardon my thread jack and my stupidity.

·
Registered
975 Posts
yes i have logged them. im not going to start an argument because i know u know alot more than i do, but i know for sure 100% that changing the temp that the fans kick on will make the car run hotter or cooler. ill take a pic of my SCT this morning on the way to work on the highway doing 75mph.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
From a PERFORMANCE stand point .... ABSOLUELTY

what are the advantages of running a cooler thermostat anyway? Pardon my thread jack and my stupidity.
The cooler your car runs (coolant wise) the lower your combustion chamber temps will be... in turn this helps to lower the chances of detonation, and a plus is you can run a tad more timing (timing is POWER)

Last summer I removed ALL of my AC stuff from the car (especially the condensor) and went datalogging.... on earlier datalogs the coolant temps would be in the mid to high 180's on the highway and they would creep up in the high 190's - low 200's in town during heavy traffic.

After the removal my highway temps never got above 180* (where the T-stat opens) and intown never got past 188* where the fans came on... I've never seen my fans come on in the winter (I live in southern Ohio) with them set at 188* simply because the cold air during winter keeps it cold enough to prevent the fans from coming on.... so setting the fans at 195-200* doesnt do a thing... since the cooling system is still going to open and circulate at 180*.... just like the T-stat is intended to do.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
yes i have logged them. im not going to start an argument because i know u know alot more than i do, but i know for sure 100% that changing the temp that the fans kick on will make the car run hotter or cooler. ill take a pic of my SCT this morning on the way to work on the highway doing 75mph.
If your cooling system is working properly and you have a 180* thermo in the car the fans should never kick on while driving down the highway.... if it does get hot enough then you either have something wrong somewhere (thermo sticking or air pocket in the system) or you have a 192* thermo in the car.

·
Registered
975 Posts
stock is 192 right?
ill see here soon im about to leave.

also isnt running too cold also bad for over all engine life (not talking focus im talking in general) 204 is optimal temp to have longer engine life and good cooling.

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
Temp has little to do with engine life unless it gets hot enough to do damage but to cool isnt an issue , I wouldnt go install a 160 thurmostat tho thinking that much cooler is better

Auto makers have started taking the temps higher more for emmissions then anything , they have found higher water temps help to burn off more making it easier to pass the newer each year federal giudelines and in some cases higher temps in some cars also helps MPG , dont know that I have seen this with the Focus tho

With a 180 I set the fans to 190, Keep in mind that if your cooling system is going its job the only time fans should come on is at low speed and idle , moving you shouldnt even need the fans on the car

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a bunch everyone for all your input! I will go ahead and make a couple changes to the tune [:)]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In case anyone is interested... I found out that there is a setting on my Xcal3 for low speed fan and high speed fan. I set the low speed fan at 188* and the high speed fan at 192*

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Hmm this makes me nervous. My fans have been kicking on a lot lately. Ever since I installed the turbo. I installed a 180 tstat too. It has been striking me as odd since its been like 20's and below lately.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Thanks for the info 03orangeSVT!

·
Registered
975 Posts
on my way to work today on the highway i was doing 70mph and my temp was 200-202* when i push the clutch it goes to 184.
i have a video with my phone too.
tomorrow ill lower the fan temp and take another video.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
on my way to work today on the highway i was doing 70mph and my temp was 200-202* when i push the clutch it goes to 184.
i have a video with my phone too.
tomorrow ill lower the fan temp and take another video.
You may have a problem somewheres else.... 200* coolant temp when it 5* outside is definitly a sign that something is wrong.

Especially since you said that you have a 180* thermo in the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts