Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 05 Ford focus has about 181k miles on it.
Now my spark plugs are swimming in oil, I think that that is the valve cover gasket leak.
My EGR and PCV valves are original ones rolled off the factory. All of the vacuum tubes pretty much look dry rotted.
What should I be replacing? PCV valve and its tube? There is another vacuum tube that runs into plastic intake and it is leaking oil.
Looks like I will need to take the intake off to get to PCV valve.
Any tips for doing that?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
753 Posts
PCV hoses, two or three of them. Replace.
You could remove the intake but its not necessary.
Replace anything you think looks in bad shape.
Your valve cover gasket needs replaced.
Suck out all the oil!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for all the advice. Didnt get to it yet, had to change all 3 engine mounts.
Changed the character of the car now that it has new mounts. Still just a bit of shaking at the wheel at idle other than that very pleasant and quiet now.

The lower engine mount/dogbone bolts had 0 rust, I could still see the zink on them. Undercoating cat with oil FTW!

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
Be careful with that last sentence, cat runs at 600+ degrees and can light that much oil off to burn car to the ground...............

When at 180K miles I only look to fix immediate or soon to be issues, the time for proactive maintenance is pretty much gone. By then I am throwing back on older belts and hoses pulled a bit early and like tensioners pulled early, even have reinstalled an old water pump before to save the cash. The car has already paid off and I'm looking to skim even more there.

I wouldn't touch PCV valve or EGR if engine is idling and cruising correctly, the PCV hose may bite you though. I generally NEVER change PCV valve ever anyway, too easy to clean them. Haven't bought one in 30 years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, should have been more clear. We have a specific "oil" here formulated to be sprayed under the body of the car and in the engine bay. If some gets on the exhaust manifold it stinks for a day or two but it has a very high flash point and wont burn.

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
I would have to see the oil that does not flash at 600 degrees, that's the low light off point by the way, normal operating is up around 700-800.

There must be an MSDS on it somewhere, can you state the name of the product? I'm curious..........what's it for? Protection against salt during winter?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Oil Spray" type undercoating is avail. & very popular in Canada, right across the Border here.

Hadn't heard of it being offered locally, but I haven't been looking either. A number of different brands of undercoating avail., hadn't heard of the annual application type being around.

·
Registered
739 Posts
"Oil Spray" type undercoating is avail. & very popular in Canada, right across the Border here.

Hadn't heard of it being offered locally, but I haven't been looking either. A number of different brands of undercoating avail., hadn't heard of the annual application type being around.
Ziebart is the most prominent rustproofing provider in the area here in Rochester. I had my '07 Civic Si done by them previously however after my experience and reading into it further I wouldn't recommend getting it done by them. They drill holes in your panels do spray oil inside however I've seen reports from folks where the holes aren't rustproofed, therefore causing the holes to rust. Also, when they spray the undercoating on the underside of the car they don't remove your wheels. I had black goop all over the inside of my wheels. They also try and sell you every single other product imaginable while you're there and don't like taking no for an answer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think that I would ever put on an old belt, but I work at a scrap yard and would rather put on an old OEM part than put on a re-f#$ed chinese part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts