Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a really good 180° thermostat replacement upgrade that will help with performance? If anyone has one that really helps could you attach a picture and brand name and stuff. Ive been doin research but cant find much. I have a 2017 focus

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,437 Posts
The fan control would have to be changed in order to change engine temp. The stat just controls when coolant begins to flow, but has nothing to do with controlling the temps after it opens fully. Older cars were controlled by stat, but no longer the case.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,437 Posts
Maybe you should try telling the manufacturers that....
They already know it, so your point is....????

These engines run happily at 220-230F with a 192 stat. The stat is fully open after about 7 degrees above its rating and the fans take over after that to control engine temp.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,346 Posts
Without a tune, putting a 180 degree thermostat in, will offer no performance benefit.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
OP, if you have the DCT trans I would not touch that car, you may need it OEM stock to get trans worked on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I changed my thermostat to 180 for a tune specifically
Even without a tune I would still recommend the lower temp thermostat.
Less heat soak into the DCT seems to have improved its shuddering issue
My DCT shuddering problem always was worse after the car was up to temp, now it runs cooler with the new stat.
I dont believe the DCT really liked the factory thermostat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed my thermostat to 180 for a tune specifically
Even without a tune I would still recommend the lower temp thermostat.
Less heat soak into the DCT seems to have improved its shuddering issue
My DCT shuddering problem always was worse after the car was up to temp, now it runs cooler with the new stat.
I dont believe the DCT really liked the factory thermostat.
Whats a good lower thermostat to look at? Could you attach a photo of what it looks like please.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe it was the below thermostat, did it about 3 years ago.

It took about 2 hours, would have been quicker if I had the right tools.
One of the bolts is really difficult to get to, had to use a 1/4 drive with some wobble extensions to get the socket in the right position to twist the bolt.
Not 100% but I think it was 8mm bolts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it was the below thermostat, did it about 3 years ago.

It took about 2 hours, would have been quicker if I had the right tools.
One of the bolts is really difficult to get to, had to use a 1/4 drive with some wobble extensions to get the socket in the right position to twist the bolt.
Not 100% but I think it was 8mm bolts.
Awesome thank you so much!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look, I've had no issues with the Duralast or the DCT since the swap.

I had a 2014 Titanium that had 3 clutches replaced by Ford, none of them made it past 5 to 10 K before the shudder returned.
Traded it for a 16 Titanium and again the shudder started again with the new car.
After it started again with the 2016 I dropped the 180 in. (actual temp running about 190)
That was 2 years ago, still the car shifts perfectly.
Before I never made it through a Florida Summer without the clutch going to junk.

If anything Ford ruined a perfectly good car with the DCT, between both cars I went through 4 clutches.
I'm very happy with the car now that the DCT issues seem to be behind me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts