Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 220 miles to my last tank of gas. The mileage has always been below average for a Focus, but my old Taurus got better gas mileage than this.

The car has been this way since I got it. The tires are properly inflated and everything in the engine seems to be in order. The car is scheduled for an oil change, but again, this has been a problem from the start. I average from 20-22 miles per gallon on average.

What do you guys average, and can you suggest how to pinpoint what causes my problem? I drive an '03 ZX3.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
why does ur post say 18, when ur talking about 20-22, oh yeah im only getting like 17 or 18 miles per gallon, mines an 03 too......hmm you think there is a link. I drive kinda hard sometimes, people have said too that its my 17 inch wheels, but other people have aftermarket rims, and probably drive harder then me and get better gas milage, so i dont know, i still have to make an appointment with the dealer, but most likly theyll say im getting what i suppose to get and im driving to hard, and its the rims, even though when i had the stocks on i was still getting the same amount. I have a feeling that nothing will be fixed and ill be stuck getting 18 miles per gallon in a eco box.

Do you have a zetec? does anyone know if there was a problem with anything related to getting gas milage on the 03 zetec foci??

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If you drive it hard, 20-22 mpg might be all you're gonna get. If you don't drive it hard, I would expect more like 24 - 28.

Auto or manual?

How long have you had it?

How many miles on it?

Any mods?

The more info you provide the better the answers will be.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
well most likly that wasnt directed towards me but heres my stats

03 ZX3, automatic tranny, 6500 miles, had it for a year, and i have 17 inch rims, with 205/45/17 size tires on it. In the winter i return to stock, but still do not see over 200 miles on the trip, oh and i have installed a k&n drop in filter back in may, and still no change.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
How about an experiment?

Fill 'er up. Then, for one tankful, drive as smooth as possible. Upshift quickly and use a really, really light foot on the gas. Look ahead, and when you see a light turn red half a block away, quit accelerating and cruise to a stop. Imagine you're in a contest where whoever gets the best gas milesage gets a $10,000 prize.

See what sort of a difference it makes.

I'd be really, really interested in the results as, while I know it almost certainly makes a significant difference, I have no idea how significant it really is for a Focus.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^k, i guess i gotta drive like a grandma throught my next tank of gas lol....oh yeah i dont reallly have control of how fast i upshift, i have an auto remeber.

·
Registered
406 Posts
BSFC....

Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. Most engines will use approx. 1/2 lb of fuel per hp per hour. The more HP you make, the more fuel you consume.

Let's do some math......130HP stock Zetec will use about 65 lbs of fuel per hour at WOT. That is about 10 gallons/hr. Run the car (without speed limiter) at top speed...guessing around 120 mph. AND!!!!! you get about 12 mpg. Accelerate from a dead stop at WOT to 60mph and slam on the brakes.....repeat until the tank is empty will give you a LOT less than the 12mpg at top speed because you aren't covering as much ground in the lower gears.

So, it looks like the worst anyone could realistically do is about 12 and the best anyone has done (that I have heard of) is about 40. Where your car falls in this range tells how you are driving.

If you are getting only 18mpg, well, you obviously are NOT trying to conserve fuel so have fun and don't worry about the numbers! Enjoy!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Almost all of my driving is highway, and my '05 ZX5 SES gets around 30mpg doing about 75mph. It seems that the milage stays around 30 until I start going over 80mph, then it drops really quick. I haven't tried yet, but I imagine I would get 35 or 40mph if I dropped my speed to 60 or 65mph.

If most of your driving is done in stop-start city conditions, then 20mpg is about where it should be (I think they say a 2003 focus should get about 24mpg in the city), especially if you are driving hard.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
penguin said:
If you drive it hard, 20-22 mpg might be all you're gonna get. If you don't drive it hard, I would expect more like 24 - 28.

Auto or manual?

How long have you had it?

How many miles on it?

Any mods?

The more info you provide the better the answers will be.
Automatic, had it since April, 29,000 miles, no mods.

I don't drive it hard.

Also, my last tank of gas got 18 miles to the gallon, but on average I get 20-22.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I seem to be having a similar problem. Maybe not that bad but still. In AZ I was getting over 30mpg. Now as Im on my road trip to FL, as I get closer to sea level + humidity my gas milage seems to be taking a dive. When I started the trip I had the cruise set at 80mph & was getting about 220miles on about 7 gallons. Now Im lucky to hit 200miles on that same amount of gallons. Still using cruise & nothing has changed other then grade of gas (texas uses 86 not 87?) and the sea level + humidity thing. The car has been weighed down the whole trip so that has not changed. So when I get to FL tomorrow I will add up my notes & see what I realy got for a average. Right now Im in MS & started this road trip yesturday morning[rolleyes]

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
well the automatic is always gonna have worse gas mileage but with all the mods that i have..and given the fact that i am pretty ruff on my car (usually dont take it above 5k unles at the track though) i still get 19 miles to the gallon..when im easy on it probably about 25 to the gallon..and seeing is your car is pretty new, id say its that lead in your foot

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an 01 ZTS with ATX. I get about 24(mostly at WOT) to 29mpg. It has 75,000 miles and always driven hard. I see that u have an 03. I don't know if it has a fuel pump recall. Try replacing the air filter or cleaning it. And try resetting the ECU by taking out the negative wire from the battery for 20 mins. While your in the process of doing this, clean the MAF sensor by spraying it with an electronic cleaner. I bet everything will be better. Don't forget to change the oil regualrly. Regular oil lasts up to 3500miles only even just by driving it normally.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
is it possible, i really dont remeber but i might of driven it hard when i first got it a bit, and i think the computer for the auto tranny, like learns from how you drive, so is it possible that it has set itself to me driving hard?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do you use the A/C a lot? I had the same problem in my '01 ZX3/MTX...18-20 MPG in mixed driving, no matter what I did. My problem was that I almost always used the A/C (black car = 0 to furnace in minutes). I tried doing a tank without it, and got 26 MPG in mixed driving, mostly city. Could be worth a try, and it's a lot less hard to do than obeying that infernal shift light.

·
Registered
113 Posts
haha i have an 03 too and i get 18 mpg too. well i would say that i drive it hard i tried driving like a grandma but i get bored and start driving hard again. i only drive city for now so thats part of the problem. but i guess ill just suck it up and pay because i cant say that im not having tons of fun in my car

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Do you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic?

That could be a cause.

And I read a few posts above that the more HP you make the more fuel you will consume? I am making about 150/150 and still get the same gas mileage when I was stock. And the car gets driven hard almost everytime it's driven. I'm getting between 27-33 MPG 03 5 speed Zetec.[:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts