Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a new Focus. The 17" wheels are a $500+ option. Is the overall diameter of this wheel/tire combo the same as for the 16" wheel/tire combo? What advantage, if any, do the 17" wheels offer other than eye candy?

Car will be an SES... upgraded suspension. Should be sporty enough with 16", I'd think.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Idk about the newer focus's but i'm going to guess the tires are 215/45/17 and 205/50/16, which basically have the same diameter. The 17's smaller profile tire will give you a little better handling but you'll feel more bumps.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Umm. Yes, the overall diameter stays the same if not apparent from Insane's post. The 17" tire has a thinner/shorter/less tall sidewall than a 50 series. You should be fine unless you live in a place where you have substantial potholes.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The 17's will be a little heavier and since the tire is farther from the hub this also increases rotational mass. If your a performance fanatic this could be of importance. Normally the lightest tire/wheel combo is preferred.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I just made up my mind on the 16s... :) Performance is nice, sounds like the 16" would be better for that. But more importantly for now, our area has TONS of potholes! Best to have more tire around those wheels!

Glad I asked. Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts