Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the map lamps in the dome fixture on my '02 SVT burned out. This bulb is identified as 12V6W in the Owner's Manual, but the Ford P/N appears to be BP3886LL (?) I called the local Kitchener-area Ford delerrs and was told the price is ~$17 per bulb, and they are normally ordered in packets of ten. [8]

Does anyone know of a cheaper source in Canada or a cheaper equivalent bulb ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S2 said:
My gawd, that's insane $$$$. Go to Partsource or Crappy Tire..... there's gotta be a common aftermarket bulb for the car that isn't OEM.
Went to both places - and to NAPA. They don't have anything like that bulb... Two Ford dealers around here don't stock the bulb - and are reluctant to order less than the 10 piece package.

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
Here is some information that I've gathered. The prices may be a bit higher than getting a 'standard' bulb because the bulbs that I replaced the stocks with are super white. Just shop around and get what you want [thumb]

Applications: License Plate Bulbs, Center Dome Light

Bulb Info: 10mm x 36mm [1.5in] (Dome 15 or DE3175)
Polarg Super White Bulbs (Set of Two Bulbs per Order)
http://eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-2067.cfm

Applications: Side Map Light Bulbs

Bulb Info: 1" x 3/8"
Polarg Super White Bulbs 756 (Set of Two Bulbs per Order)
http://eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-33122.cfm

Cheers!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out there is a generic "near replacement" for this bulb. What's different about this particular oroginal map light bulb (made in Italy) is its high wattage - 6 watt - and its narrowness. Otherwise, it is a standard bayonet bulb.

I bought a "near-equivalent" bulb in Canadian Tire. It is sold as Motomaster 1893 - about $3.50 for two bulbs. There are two problems with this near-equivalent replacement:

1) Bulb wattage is only ~4.5W, so the bulb is noticeably dimmer than the original.

2) The glass section of the replacement bulb is wider than the sleek Italian original - though the width at the base is the same. Normally, this means the replacement bulb can't be inserted onto the mounting flange, because the glass section has to be passed through the hole for the flange. However, by releasing some plastic tabs on the dome light assembly, the replacement bulb can be inserted from the "wrong end" and then rotated so the bayonet points seat on the bulb-holder flange. (It's harder to explain than to see).

So - the replacement maplight bulb "works" but the light is noticeably dimmer. Maybe "1893" is an industry standard number, and someone can find a dimensionally identical 6 watt bayonet bulb.

Normally this is all a waste of time, but I'm not inclined to pay $17 for a $1 bulb...

·
Registered
93 Posts
another thing you might try is break the glass and soldier a couple white leds in to the brass base of the origainal balb
a. is brighter
b. it will last longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kalos said:
One of the map lamps in the dome fixture on my '02 SVT burned out. This bulb is identified as 12V6W in the Owner's Manual, but the Ford P/N appears to be BP3886LL (?) I called the local Kitchener-area Ford delerrs and was told the price is ~$17 per bulb, and they are normally ordered in packets of ten. [8]

Does anyone know of a cheaper source in Canada or a cheaper equivalent bulb ?
I work at a Ford dealer in Mississauga and can maybe help you out.

The part number is 96FZ 13466 AA Call the dealer near you and have them do a dealer search to see who the closest dealer to you that does have stock on this bulb. The ones that do have stock would love to sell off the other 9 they have.

There are a few dealers around hear that have some.. but would cost you more in gas to get here lol

If you find a dealer ask if they can help you on the price.. most will.. trade on the bulb is $13.62 Just say your dad works for Ford ;)

good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Or, just go to www.autolumination.com .

They have a wide selection of bulbs, ranging from superwhites (at about $1.50 each) to LED Superwhites (about $8).

I myself got a 9 blue LED one, and am very satisfied. It's extremely bright, and the shipping costs are reasonable.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts