Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have an '07 ZX3 SES, and I'm in the market for new tires. But had a thought, why not pay a few hundred more and get some new rims too, why not? But question is, as long as I stay with the 4x108 pattern, 18's should be fine? Just curious if I'd have to change the ECM or anything.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
When up sizing or downsizing wheel size, the aspect ration is usually kept the same by the overall tire diameter. a 205.50/16 is just about the same as a 205.45/17 or 215.45/17 overall diameter. So with an 18" wheel you are looking at 215.35/18. You will be changing the overall diameter some and the speedo would be a little off but nothing drastic.

Things to consider though, tires in 18" size are usually around 20% more expensive than the same tire in 17". You will also have very little side wall to protect the wheel from potholes and the like. Normally 18's move more of the wheel weight towards the outside, causes the car to work harder to speed up/slow down and could also decrease mpg. I personally think 17's look better on our generation car but some people have done 18's and made it look good. Remember the first gen RS came with factory 18's, so Ford thought it was a good idea too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand. But other than tirerack and discounttire, what are other sites that would have a good selection? Just thought for a little more, or about the same price depending on wheels, could fill the fenders a little more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went up to 18's on my 2000 ZX3 years ago, dropped it 1.5 in the front and 1.75 in the rear and upgraded the sway bars. It has been set up this way for the last 11 or 12 years and I still love the way it handles. The speedo isn't off by much at all if you do plan on going to a bigger wheel and tire set up, there is no reason to mess with the ECU. I think I'm off by less than 2 MPH up to about 95 or so.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I currently run 18" RS wheels, and have had no issue with driveability or anything for that matter. Tires will run a bit more expensive but tbh deals come up quite a bit and my last set i paid less then i have had for my old 17" s

as far as places you can buy, depends on budget. There are a few places that can make your bolt pattern like Rotiform, Fifteen52, Works and etc...

for a used set here on the marketplace is a good place to start. Also for latest stuff to sell a lot of traffic has occured on the fb marketplace. that is where i found my set. a lot of people have been selling wheels on there lately for good prices too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently run 18" RS wheels, and have had no issue with driveability or anything for that matter. Tires will run a bit more expensive but tbh deals come up quite a bit and my last set i paid less then i have had for my old 17" s

as far as places you can buy, depends on budget. There are a few places that can make your bolt pattern like Rotiform, Fifteen52, Works and etc...

for a used set here on the marketplace is a good place to start. Also for latest stuff to sell a lot of traffic has occured on the fb marketplace. that is where i found my set. a lot of people have been selling wheels on there lately for good prices too.
FB Marketplace? Which one?

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
FB Marketplace? Which one?
I believe you may have found it already, but if not its called

Ford Focus Parts For Sale/Trade/Wtb

i can get you a link this afternoon i get shit signal at work..

but yeah great group of peeps and a alternative method to find stuff for our cars that sometimes don't make it to the forum.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A guy is offering a set of 18x8 +35 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 with 215/35R18 Nitto NeoGens. Not a bad price either. Are those good rims?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tyre sizing or tire sizing

When up sizing or downsizing wheel size, the aspect ration is usually kept the same by the overall tire diameter. a 205.50/16 is just about the same as a 205.45/17 or 215.45/17 overall diameter. So with an 18" wheel you are looking at 215.35/18. You will be changing the overall diameter some and the speedo would be a little off but nothing drastic.

Things to consider though, tires in 18" size are usually around 20% more expensive than the same tire in 17". You will also have very little side wall to protect the wheel from potholes and the like. Normally 18's move more of the wheel weight towards the outside, causes the car to work harder to speed up/slow down and could also decrease mpg. I personally think 17's look better on our generation car but some people have done 18's and made it look good. Remember the first gen RS came with factory 18's, so Ford thought it was a good idea too.
Hi there, I just thought I would mention when going to 18" wheels the closest tyre size in terms of overall diameter would be a 225/40/18. It's a lot closer than a 215/35/18. Cheers. I'm actually getting a set of 18x8 (15 Spoke) Rims. They come as blanks & the PCD is drilled once ordered & paid for. They are also available in different offsets & colours. I'm getting a set of White ones to go on my Imperial Blue ST170 that I just had lowered. My friend that owns the wheel & tyre shop swears by the rims as he uses them on his M3 race car. Sorry about the Flash on the wheel photo & the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts

I'm running 205/45/R17 with General GT G-Max summer tires. It firms up the ride a little bit. At about 55 mph it only through the speedo off about a mile per hour, so not much difference at speed

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Your foci looks great btw,,,,,

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been running 18's for years. First was Konig Hotswaps 18x7.5 +42 (I believe) with 215/35-18 tires. I had zero rubbing issues. Now I am running Enkei RSV 18x7.5 +45 with 225/40-18 tires. I do have some rubbing that should go away with a slight fender roll (this is happening tonight). No rubbing with suspension or brake components.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Say Jeremy your foci looks great, see you have a sap front bumper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep. Picked this one up last week from a wrecking yard in ID. I will clue you in on all the other stuff I have done at the meet on the 23rd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts