Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a set of konig black lace wheels 17 and kept breaking them off ( had rims three months broke two rims in half) pot holes the best of me... lol so i am debating on getting new rims i have the stocks back on there but i can not deside if i want 16 or 17s its just my every day driver and just wanted to see what everyone on here thought or what input i could get from you guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was not even around the spoke that broke lol it was right down the middle of the rim lol it was weird but happend to two of them and just to much money to keep buying them every month lol but ya that is what i was thinking i just wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with any rims

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I like 17's better because of the look of them but there really isn't much of a difference as far as performance and ride quality. If anything, 16's should be a little cheaper and new tires cost less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like the look better what size tire would be good with the 17's i just worry about not having enough side walls to take up some of the hit because the roads in ohio suck lol

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
get a quality 17" wheel and use 215/45r17. that is the size tire that comes on the factory 17 inch wheels. it should be the same diameter as the tires you have now.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For a daily driver that requires durability a 16" wheel wrapped in a stock size 205/50-16 can't be beat. A 205/55-16 is slightly taller and would even be a better pot hole fighter (also a really big selection of tires in this size).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol i try to but every time i try to there is a bigger one in the line i take to miss the smaller one lol they jump right out in front of me lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i called odot and they told me there had to be more then one complaint lol then i called konig and because they come with warranty and they said to bad sucks to be you lol so i bought new rim at full price and new tire lol then two weeks later hit another pot hole... long story short rims got put on craigslist when i bought the fourth and another new tire lol that is why 17 scare me so much but i cant find the 16s i want right now i have stock six spoke painted black

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A 17" option worth considering is the SVT Euro edition wheels which are pretty beefy. There's not to many reports of them failing when used with decent tires.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A 17" option worth considering are the SVT Euro edition wheels which are pretty beefy. There's not to many reports of them failing when used with decent tires.
17" EAPs FTW!

You can always paint/powdercoat the snowflakes, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya good point on the powdercoating the wheels... and will look into the svt euro edition wheels also to see what they look like

·
Registered
339 Posts
not to get off topic... but i don't really understand everyone's fascination with having bigger rims/wheels... we drive compact cars. there's really no need for that at all??? to me a smaller wheel would seemingly be stronger, lighter, and likely less expensive... maybe i'm just very naive... but a smaller, stronger, and probably lighter wheel just seems like a better choice imho

i'd say go with a "15 - "16 wheel... you may have more wheel gap but in my humble opinion getting a bigger wheel isn't the way to fix that... upgrading your suspension is!

plus you will probably be able to find cheaper tire options and more flexibility in that size...

just my opinion, please don't bash me haha

oh, and maybe buy used... i just saw you live in ohio... potholes are inevitable... and more like small caves haha

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The reason I prefer the look of a larger wheel is the size of the gap in the wheel well. I find the larger wheel, when used in conjunction with a lower stance provides a more appealing appearance. Depending on material the wheels are made from and difference in size the performance is not majorly affected.

Take my case. I went to a larger wheel, but even though it was taller and wider, it weighed less than the wheel I replaced. This is a net gain in performance and bonus for appearance. Form and function. Win-Win.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Also, the guy selling the 16" snowflakes is talking about being motivated to sell.

Check out his thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts