Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought some older audi rims, there speedlines 15x7 ET37. Ive machined the center bore and have had them refinished. im trying to find some lug nuts for them, as the focii lug nuts aren't wide enough. Ive looked around at a few local autoshops and cant seem to find any? Ive found ones online but im still not sure if they will be correct and dont want to order them being unsure. Anyone here running quattro rims? What lugs are you using?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think your best bet is to try some Merkur XR4ti lug nuts.
They are wider than stock Focus lug nuts and you should be able to find some in the GVA.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Are those 4X108 stock?

Don't remember seeing them as something that'd work - the remachining may be the answer to not seeing this option before.

(fixed the title)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Audi 4000, 80, 90 & Coupe GT (B2) had 4x108 but nothing cut and dried about exactly which ones got 4x108 or 4x100 except all Quattros got 4x108.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Audi 4000, 80, 90 & Coupe GT (B2) had 4x108 but nothing cut and dried about exactly which ones got 4x108 or 4x100 except all Quattros got 4x108.
Interesting.

I'd noticed FIAT & Alfa using the pattern (some of my old cool toys). That's another I hadn't seen tried for the Focus.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
What kind of rims are you running?

Thanks!
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6280562&postcount=426

They are Forgeline RS 17x8 et~30, I bought them second hand but the previous owner would have ordered them custom to their spec. Not sure if there was a benefit for them ordering them with the wider lug holes or why the chose that (center hub bore is a perfect fit, so not point in lug centric.) It came off a car specifically used for racing. Only 4x108 I have seen in a Focus offset/width but I was told they would have also been made for foxbody mustangs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6280562&postcount=426

They are Forgeline RS 17x8 et~30, I bought them second hand but the previous owner would have ordered them custom to their spec. Not sure if there was a benefit for them ordering them with the wider lug holes or why the chose that (center hub bore is a perfect fit, so not point in lug centric.) It came off a car specifically used for racing. Only 4x108 I have seen in a Focus offset/width but I was told they would have also been made for foxbody mustangs.

Interesting.

A little update on where im at. I have tried 4 or 5 different style of lugs and here is what i found out. From what i read, from someone who runs audi specific rims on focal jet, is the audi rims run a conical lug... this is not true (im surprized he hasnt wallowed the lug seats and had a wheel fly off by now) audi and volkswagons do not run a conical seat(at least in the 4x108 bolt pattern that audi uses), they use a ball seat, but not just any ball seat (not like hondas R12 ball seat) there are 3 different ball seats available, a R12 which is used by honda and mercedes, a R13 which is used by audi and volkswagon, and a R14, also used by audi on there bigger cars. What does the R stand for and what are the different numbers? R stands for "radial" and the numbers stand for the radial distance around the ball. The other issue is that audi and VW use a lug bolt instead of a stud with a nut.. the ford focus lug stud specs are 12x1.5, the audi/VW stud is 14x1.5. so the overall diameter is bigger on the rim as opposed to the stud... so there are a few options here, 1- you can remove your lugs, and have the holes re drilles by a machine shop and press in 14mm studs, who would want to do that?? You wont be able to run your stock rims anymore! 2- you can have the rims seats filled and redrilled to a smaller 12 mm pattern (might as well run a different rim) or the third option which is obviously the most logical..

Since the VW guys dont have a whole lot of options running 14mm stud rims, well they do, but it triples the options in a 12 mm) and the fact that apparently they hate the lug stud design when trying to install a rim, and would rather have a lug stud and nut design, companys out there make converion kits. This allows them to thread a 14mm stud into there hubs that convert to a 12mm stud and they can use any rim they want, whith its designed lug style,that company also makes a 12x 1.5 R13 lug bolt, so when winter comes they still have the option to run there factory snowys. Thats the route i went. I have ordered HnR part number 125003 (12x1.5 d26ball seat also known as R13). These will allow you to run audi rims on your focus after getting the hub bore machined. So if anyone out there wants to run audi rims you need those lugs. 16 of them costes me 100.00 buck shipped.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job doing it right!

Thanks sailor! I tell ya, i learnt an aweful lot about lug nuts! Never knew there were that many different styles specifically with the ball seats! Damn german automakers lol! Everything has to be different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Coilovers and rims are on, I'm not happy with the color, I have 2 other sets of rims. The main purpose of me buying a lipped rim was to go with a ridiculous color scheme... I haven't found one yet.. These were destroyed when I got them. The lips have cleaned up nice!

No adjusters in rear, no helpers in front. I'm not all the way down in the front.. Maybe have 4 threads left.

Anyways I just thought I'd would update with a picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts