Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it posible to get around 150hp and be reliable? should i go to the crank 150hp or the wheels. what is the drive train loss? Let's say i want 150hp at the wheels how much real crank hp would i have? will it be realible? pass smog?

also, my 2.0 durates, how much real wheel hp does it put out...

thanks

what I really want to be around 5-7 seconds to 60 and around 14.5 to 15 q/t mile

·
Registered
247 Posts
And I think 112 with an auto.

Five seconds is a bit ambitious 0-60 without some serious modding, IMO.

With that said, 150whp is not at all out of the question. Do some searching and add up the total numbers for each mod (they are almost always shown as wheel horse power) untill you get to 150. I do it all the time myself and hope to be able to bolt on 40whp in an na set up (that would be cams, intake, tune, header, exhaust, throttle body).

By the way, all that stuff adds up to about $2000. Have fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hehe, 5 seconds??!! LOL. You're dreaming! Trade it towards a Cobra. THEN you'd have a realistic shot at a 5 second zero-to-60. 7 seconds may be doable, though.

·
2,272 Posts
I'm around 150 whp and I do a 7 second 0-60 and that was with a bit of a crappy launch. I have a 2.3L so you will need a bit more to get there. It will still be reliable.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
With a CAI (cold air intake) and cat back exhaust and a good tune you should be around 150 hp at the fly wheel. And that is the easy bolt on stuff. The bottom line is it takes money to make horse power. And if I was going to put some money in some motor work, I would go with a turbo set up. I am sure 220 hp at the wheels with a turbo would keep it very dependable as a daily driver. And a 1/4 mile time in the low 14's all day long. Any way that is my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you wont get the acceleration/ 1/4 mile number without a good amount of engine building or some boost. 150whp is around 170bhp. An attainable number without to heavily moddingi would guess.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Car and Driver's test of a 5-speed d23E focus wagon (2004) was 7.8 seconds, 0-60.

Their best test of a SVTF was 7.7

7.8 seconds was with a wagon, so I really don't think that 6.8 or 6.7 is really difficult with a ZX3, even with the d20, as you 2 liter guys have the 3.82 gears to compensate for the lower torque numbers (right??)...

5 seconds, though, you would probably need a very serious NA setup, or run a turbo.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
smokethebear_280 said:
7.8 seconds was with a wagon, so I really don't think that 6.8 or 6.7 is really difficult with a ZX3, even with the d20, as you 2 liter guys have the 3.82 gears to compensate for the lower torque numbers (right??)...
Kinda sorta. Ford originally put out the 03-04 PZEV 2.3 cars with a 3.41 gear- true to typical Ford thinking- to lower the rpm's at highway speeds. This nets a little less than 2500 at 70. Then Ford decided for some reason to change all the gears in all Foci's to 3.82. I don't think it has anything to do with more or less torque from the motors because the ST has the same differential gear. I've been told by Walter Marcy in a discussion that the 3.82 gears seem to give the best fuel economy for all the Focus cars.

I come from incorrect thinking too, believing that taller gears give better mileage. It isn't always the case.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The ST has 3.82 also?!

I'm pissed now (more like jealous, but it shows as pissed)...

But, maybe the ST has the 3.82 ratio 'cause it was made the flagship Focus, the performance model to replace the beloved SVT. It needed to at least accelerate as quickly.

It's probably just the MPG thing though, I dunno.

Very interesting thread, this has become...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
remusrm[/i][B] is it posible to get around 150hp and be reliable? should i go to the crank 150hp or the wheels. what is the drive train loss? [/B][/QUOTE] Drivetrain Loss: Manual - 15% Auto - 20% 4 WD/AWD- 20% [B][QUOTE] Let's say i want 150hp at the wheels how much real crank hp would i have?[/B][/QUOTE] 176 hp [B][QUOTE] will it be realible? pass smog? [/B][/QUOTE] Depends on your mods. [B][QUOTE]also said:
Car and Driver's test of a 5-speed d23E focus wagon (2004) was 7.8 ...
seconds was with a wagon, so I really don't think that 6.8 or 6.7 is really difficult with a ZX3, ...
The wagon is only 100 lbs. heavier than the sedan (remember, these are compact cars!) so that should only be about 1/10 slower in the quarter).

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I have intake, TB, and exhaust and I am getting the SCT XCAL2 and that is REALLY supposed to help the car out... about 10-12 whp with just two simple bolt-on mods... so a stock car you shouldn't worry about it but after the intake exhaust that would be the next mod because after that you can the header and have the rear o2 sensor turned off properly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I figured the difference would be significantly greater (like, maybe 300lbs). I mean, the car is like 14-15 inches longer. But the added length is mostly open cargo space, so, makes sense...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry no turbo... so to get around 7 secs i need CAI, headers and exhaust. right now I only got the resonator cut and it does seem quicker when building up speed. What is the stock zx3 2.0L duratec 0-60? and qt mile time? also what you guys mean by a good tune?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
you will probably run STOCK a mid 16 sec quarter... maybe a 16.3 with a good driver... and 0-60 MPH... I am taking an educated guess here... prolly an 8 - mid 8sec 0-60 time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that the mtx had 3.42 and auto have 3.82 gears? i could be wrong but the mtx was a 3.42 from what i read cuz i was thinking about putting some 4.06 in. and i know the atx and the mtx gears were way differant. but with my x-cal2 intake, tb, and exhaust i can post a mid 15 1/4 time. if you want 150 whp i think exhaust, tb, x-cal2, cai, and some stage 1 cams would do the trick. i think if you added a header would get you 145-160 whp. and if you want to get in the 6's in your 0-60 get 4.06 gears but hope you dont drive alot of highway miles lol. and surprisingly good tires and suspension will help you pick you time up with alot better grip. but thats my $.02

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
he's gonna need a little more than intake, header, exhaust, and cams to get 160 whp... a 2.3 pulls those kinda number in so he would be prolly at 140-145 whp...

TB doesn't do anything either so thats why I am trading that off for a head so I can port and polish that biotch...LOL

·
Registered
440 Posts
true but i love the throttle respones on it thou. well if that cant get you there put a fart can and some window stickers on thats like 5 hp per sticker

1 - 20 of 48 Posts