Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My 2008 is getting close to its 15,000 mark. I never serviced the car myself but I am looking forward to.

I need to ask you guys what steps I need to take in order to ensure all required inspections are made correctly and how to ensure notthing is wrong with any pieces inspected.

I will appreciate the input. Also, will do my oil change and was thinking of changing the spark plugs, or should I wait for the spark plugs? Radiator Flush is a good idea too?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
First read the maintenance manual......while you can change things like the plugs and coolant if you want that soon, it's not really necessary.

Other than regular oil and filter changes, the only part my '06 manual recommends changing at 15K is the cabin filter if equipped.

Under severe driving conditions, pulling a trailer, dusty roads, etc., you might want to do maintenance earlier than recommended.......like an air filter, maybe a fuel filter. You should be checking fluids and other stuff on a regular basis however.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'd do an oil change and put in a good synthetic oil i.e. REDLINE, ROYAL PURPLE or AMSOIL, then do the oil change with synthetic every 5k.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd do an oil change and put in a good synthetic oil i.e. REDLINE, ROYAL PURPLE or AMSOIL, then do the oil change with synthetic every 5k.
The first service, 7,500 miles I replaced the oil to full syntetic from Valvoline. I still have a case left (insane deal, $0.99/qt)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The recommended service is a good place to start. You can get the Ford schedules at http://www.fleet.ford.com

One thing many people gloss over and ignore is the "inspection" part of the service. That really is an important part and should not be ignored, e.g., examine the CV joint boots, check wheels and tires for damage, etc.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
One thing many people gloss over and ignore is the "inspection" part of the service. That really is an important part and should not be ignored, e.g., examine the CV joint boots, check wheels and tires for damage, etc.[/QUOTE]

x2 [thumb]

·
Registered
872 Posts
The maintenance schedule and the required maintenance items are in your Owner Information Guide booklet. Please read it and use that as your guide. Whenever you are doing routine service like an oil change for example, it's just common sense to have a good visual look around at the car, like the items mentioned by voortrek3 above. They are all just right there anyway. AND jeez!......you're only at 15,000 miles, make use of the technology........there is not a lot to do on these cars. The spark plugs will be like brand new for example, and you don't have to worry about them for a long time. Leave the coolant alone as well.......Ford's yellow coolant is good for a long time. There IS such a thing as maintenance overkill. AGAIN......follow the Owner Information Guide and the information in your Owner's Manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts