Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just did a 300KM round trip pure highway, never went over 110km/h used cruise the entire time. even used premium fuel

Hand calculated my mileage was 7.1l\100km?

this is much lower than i normally get. I have done this trip before and got 6.

I understand cold weather makes mileage decrease, but that just seems like a very big jump?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Cold weather could be the culprit - could also be due to more ethanol in the winter gasoline?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i mean it wasn't sub freezing temps. i was walking around outside with a t-shirt on.

i hate to think what this is going to result come actual cold weather.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Lots of things seem to cause a loss of fuel economy.
I have never owned a car that could get such great mileage.
And it is clear that great gas mileage comes with 'baggage'.
All the things have to be just right to get it.
Low air temps, lesser fuel quality, headwinds, hilly roads, more stops.. low tire pressure (even just a few psi will rob mpgs in my Focus)
All conspire to rob mpgs.
I read up on 'Winter gas' and it does actually have less quality. The Summer gas has some other hydrocarbons added which lessen volatility, but also add mpgs. In Winter that stuff is not mixed in, and so the mpgs drop.

Wind is a big factor too. with a slight headwind it kills that top few extra mpgs that make great gas mileage. Even a cross wind? might undo the mpgs?

I am getting less too around here and the temps are in the 50's here yet.

I have a feeling it is mostly the gas...
Some cars are more sensitive to gas quality. I guess the Focus is one of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could be winter gas. Could be lower tire pressure due to colder temperatures. Could have been a good head wind.

110km/h isn't the best for fuel economy either, but with your economy you might as well have been going 130.

Are you just relying on the fuel economy computer or are you basing it on litres to fill up divided by kms driven between fillups?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if your familiar with southern Ontario, its a very flat landscape. so no hills. very little wind that day.

i guess we will have to go with lower quality gas? i don't know.

i just find this car is so inconsistent when it comes to mileage. i never get numbers that are around the same.

more and more i drive this car the more and more i wish i went with something else.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be winter gas. Could be lower tire pressure due to colder temperatures. Could have been a good head wind.

110km/h isn't the best for fuel economy either, but with your economy you might as well have been going 130.

Are you just relying on the fuel economy computer or are you basing it on litres to fill up divided by kms driven between fillups?
Tire pressure is at what its supposed to be.

no winds as i said in the other post.

and i calculated 7.1 by taking the amount of KM's i drove based off the amount of gas i pumped into my car. I always manually calculate never go off the instrument panel. the gauge in the car said i was had gotten 6.7

·
Registered
132 Posts
EddieWinslow -

I'm getting up there, and my highway MPGs seem to be pretty stable (6.1 L / 100 km if I do the conversion right).

This could be a one-bit anomaly. If you're hand calculating, it could be the pump's fault and not you (it put in too much gas before stopping, or your last pump really just shut off too early blowing up your numbers).

You could also try another trip. Sometimes I find cruise to be more fuel consumptive on slight uphills (undetectable to us), rather than by feathering the accelerator myself.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
EddieWinslow -

This could be a one-bit anomaly. If you're hand calculating, it could be the pump's fault and not you (it put in too much gas before stopping, or your last pump really just shut off too early blowing up your numbers).
I find putting in gas the angle of the fuel nozzle is a problem and it shuts off before the tank is full.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't see how not using cruise would benefit me? the stretch of highway that i did is all flat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i don't see how not using cruise would benefit me? the stretch of highway that i did is all flat.
It most probably is, but I just had a "lightbulb" experience, when I thought a road was "completely" flat, and it actually was a several hundred feet incline over 100-150 miles. Sounds like a lot when its over a mile or two, but because it was over such a huge distance, it looked flat. But for the longest time I wondered why my MPG sucked in one direction and were way better in the other... until I looked at a topographical map. After that time, I saw that pattern hold true no matter where I went.

There's also the "pulse and glide" technique I totally believe in (accelerate a bit, and let the car coast for a bit). I for some odd reason find I get way better mileage than cruise on the same tracks by being feathery on my accelerator. But then again the technique comes with the disclaimer "results may vary."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts