Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't say they're the ONLY ones who would have the tools, but they're certainly more likely to than a mom and pop's shop. Plus, there have been so many Focus and Fiesta problems that there's a good chance it won't be your tech's first time making this repair. I'd certainly only trust a Ford dealer to repair my DCT.

Aren't there other fun used cars you can buy? [deviltail]
I have always thought that a DCT Focus with paddle shift would be a great autocross car. I have the manual in my car. I love the car but I think I would rather keep it nice and get a beater DCT car for autocross.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a few questions if anyone's still around...I just got the news that I need my 2014 SE clutches replaced, but I've imported my car to Europe, and the dealer of course says that they can't do anything unless I buy the clutch myself, they'll do the labor (for a fee of course...) but they don't have the parts. Now, since I'll be doing the repair at my local transmission service, I need to know what to order and how much to order. Does the 2016 "B" revision work? All the parts sites say that it doesn't, hence my hesitance.
Do I need one or two of these parts, asking because it says that the kit consists of clutch and hub, don't I need 2 clutches?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just confirmed that my clutch seals are also bad. TCM is fine.

I am barely out of warranty, and the charge to replace is just a few bucks under $3k.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Why so high , you can buy the clutches your self off ebay

Tom
Sounds like your quote came from a true stealership. Find a different one.
I actually really like this particular dealership. They're much better than my local stealership.

It was $500 for the clutch pack, 10-12 hours or so for labor. I think labor is about $190/hr. Then there's taxes on the part.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A couple things to note for anyone who is now beyond the extended warranty period. As Tom said, the shudder problem isn't always just the seal failure that results in clutch contamination. I checked underneath my 2012 and the interface between the transmission bellhousing and the engine was dry as a bone indicating that I likely don't have a seal leaking. However, I was starting to see the shudder return on the 1-2 shift. I have been through 3 warranty-covered clutch/seal replacements and have the latest generation of parts.

I recently found out that with a laptop, free Forscan software (with extended license) and the appropriate scan tool (under $20 from Amazon), you can run the adaptive learn service yourself. It goes through the same steps as a Ford technician would with the factory scan tool. I did this and it reset all of the shift parameters to my existing clutch - I didn't change a single part. After running this procedure that takes about 12 minutes, my shifting has improved dramatically with no 1-2 shudder (except for a bit on the first test drive which is said to be expected).

So, what I learned from this is that over time, the adaptive learning that happens out on the road as the system tries to make modifications based on your driving style gets out of whack over time. So, this confirms what Tom suggests that it is a software issue, not hardware. I would suggest taking a look at your bellhousing area under the car and if it looks good but you are experiencing transmission problems, give this a shot. It is actually much less hassle than going to a dealer and having a clutch replaced under warranty. I can see doing this every 2nd or 3rd oil change to keep things working great. One suggestion is to follow the procedure outlined on the Forscan forum explicitly. They recommend having your battery fully charged and vehicle connected to a battery charger throughout the test. I would also have your laptop plugged in during the process. You want to minimize the possibility of the test being terminated before it has been completed. Also, perform the procedure outside because near the end of the test, you have to start the car and rev the engine to WOT.

What this also means is that when/if needed, a clutch replacement job is not beyond the reach of a shadetree mechanic. You can fashion all of the tools you need to do the job pretty readily with a piece of plate steel, some steel pipe/caps and a few other miscellaneous parts. Then when it is all buttoned up, you run the adaptive learn in Forscan and you should be good to go. RockAuto has a nice LUK clutch kit for $350 so you could get the job done for around $400 as opposed to up to a couple grand.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I recently found out that with a laptop, free Forscan software (with extended license) and the appropriate scan tool (under $20 from Amazon), you can run the adaptive learn service yourself. It goes through the same steps as a Ford technician would with the factory scan tool.
I don't have a DCT (though I might have had I not learned about their problems from this website) but I'm sure many Focus owners who do will appreciate this. Thanks for sharing. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
$190.00 an Hr is a rip off

Tom
It may be, but you have to remember that this is in the SF Bay area.

Homes that would sell for under $300,000 in your part of the country (~1,500 sq ft, 3 br 2 ba) go for over $1,000,000 (in a mediocre location) around here and gasoline often sells for $1.00 a gallon more than the national average. Everything here is more expensive.

It would also probably be hard to find an independent shop that would do that job reliably.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple things to note for anyone who is now beyond the extended warranty period. As Tom said, the shudder problem isn't always just the seal failure that results in clutch contamination. I checked underneath my 2012 and the interface between the transmission bellhousing and the engine was dry as a bone indicating that I likely don't have a seal leaking. However, I was starting to see the shudder return on the 1-2 shift. I have been through 3 warranty-covered clutch/seal replacements and have the latest generation of parts.
/QUOTE]

For the 2016 se focus hatch is there any extended warranty period for transmission issues. I have placed a deposit on a used hatch with DCT that recently (January) has had the TSB 19-0109 clutch replaced. Test drove it and didnt notice any shimmy with transmission at all. This car has 53K and powertrain warranty expires at 60.

Also what other TSBs should I worry about with this car. We really like the 2016 se Focus hatch and have a great deal pending to buy it used.
I plan to have this be my daughter's 1st vehicle to go to college next fall and would just hate it if her first car experience was with a lemon.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Strange stuff in post?

EDIT:
Never mind. The new software allowed me to delete the image. (Still a mystery how it got there in the first place.)

MODERATORS: At the end of my post #111 in this thread I am seeing an image labeled "Attached Thumbnails" (looks like a screenshot) that I did not put there and that I am unable to remove. The link to it does not even show up inside the "Edit post" window. (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/attachments/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/258923d1553275922t-14m01-now-new-clutches-avail-screenshot_20190322-132927_1553275921486.png)

Is there ant way you can remove it from that post?

101 - 113 of 113 Posts