Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
So what differences are there to driving a DCT compared to a traditional automatic? Never driven one, so want to be able to provide the wife with the info since the Focus will be hers (if that is what we buy)

Read the first 2 posts here: Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=11389&share_tid=415994&url=http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415994&share_type=t

In general, don't let the car creep (feathering the brake pedal). When you come to a complete stop and are ready to go, let go of the brake and don't immediately hit the gas. Give it an extra half second. For me, these are the two major things I have changed since I got a transmission overheating alert while creeping uphill to Dodgers Stadium. That event is what drove me to find this website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bought my '14 with 24k miles a month ago. Pretty great car so far, but it does have a small shudder on acceleration. Took it up a few weeks ago, they did the tests I was at 500 rpm in the test, so they reprogrammed the TCM and that did help a lot although the shudder is still there. Have an appointment this Thursday to get it fixed. Oddly enough, the PO never did any of the recalls or major services, so my car has the original clutches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
History repeats or just snake bit?

lol. I was one of the VW diesel people. Having resolved that (after 1 yr 4 mos), I wanted a simple basic compact. I DID know of the Focus transmission problems. But my research and inquiries indicated that it was FOR SURE the 12 - 15 Focus. "Fixed" sometime for the '15s and absolutely clear by the '16 model year. So, I was a bit surprised at the class action including the '16s (which may be just a precaution) and to receive my notification post card. Mine is a '16, manufactured in Nov. '16, bought in Jan (with a great deal!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
good question.. I've heard of turbos in the regular focuses so one would think Ford offers a "beefed up" there dct. Maybe write Ford in this site. There is a few Ford factory moderators and they will respond to questions and concerns..ussualy the turbos have the manual transmissions... hope this helps

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sorry, replied to wrong post

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had this new clutch version installed in june....took a bit longer to smooth out which i would assume is due to the material. So far though, its been much better shifting. This is clutch number 6 or 7 so im hoping this was the fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone verify if "F1FZ-7B546-B" is the most current clutch assembly for the 2014 Ford Focus SE? My understanding is that this will fit the 2016, but also can be used in a 2014. The first time my clutch was replaced (the original after 20K) they installed "BV6Z-7B546-F" which lasted about 25K. The dealer says the replacement is currently on backorder but I see it in stock on fordparts.com at another local Ford parts dealer.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can someone verify if "F1FZ-7B546-B" is the most current clutch assembly for the 2014 Ford Focus SE? My understanding is that this will fit the 2016, but also can be used in a 2014. The first time my clutch was replaced (the original after 20K) they installed "BV6Z-7B546-F" which lasted about 25K. The dealer says the replacement is currently on backorder but I see it in stock on fordparts.com at another local Ford parts dealer.
This is correct. The clutch pack "F1FZ-7B546-B" is the latest version for 2012-2018, all trims and vehicules that has the DCT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm at 78k and I've had 6 clutch packs and 3 tcm's
Geez... and I was bent out of shape because I have to get my clutch replaced for the second time after only 55K on my 2014 Focus SE. Based on your experience and others on this forum it seems like I'm actually lucky. Pretty sure after it gets replaced I'm going to try to trade it in for a Honda, Mazda, or Suburu. I'm just sour about this whole experience with the Focus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
does anyone else dream of the day that they come out with a clutch pack that doesnt break after 15-20K? do you think were close? does the new pack truly fix it or is it too soon to tell? do you think the lawsuit in effect atm will encourage some more permanent solutions?

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
Its isnt the clutch pack thats causing the issue , people just blame the clutches for lack of understand what the real problem is , the TCM software

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
In my opinion no , I feel its the software in the PCM / TCM , I have helped / cured hundreds of DCT shudder issues with my Custom Tune , I wouldnt be able to do that if it was a clutch issue

I took a used DCT Clutch removed from a Focus because of shudder and installed it in a buddies Focus and its running perfectly normal , How is that possible if its the clutches ?

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
In my opinion no , I feel its the software in the PCM / TCM , I have helped / cured hundreds of DCT shudder issues with my Custom Tune , I wouldnt be able to do that if it was a clutch issue

I took a used DCT Clutch removed from a Focus because of shudder and installed it in a buddies Focus and its running perfectly normal , How is that possible if its the clutches ?

Tom
I was under the understanding that DCT clutch replacement was only possible by a dealer because special tools and equipment we needed to complete the task. Please enlighten me. The only thing holding me back from getting a used DCT car to play with was the serviceability of the tranny.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I was under the understanding that DCT clutch replacement was only possible by a dealer because special tools and equipment we needed to complete the task.
I wouldn't say they're the ONLY ones who would have the tools, but they're certainly more likely to than a mom and pop's shop. Plus, there have been so many Focus and Fiesta problems that there's a good chance it won't be your tech's first time making this repair. I'd certainly only trust a Ford dealer to repair my DCT.

The only thing holding me back from getting a used DCT car to play with was the serviceability of the tranny.
Aren't there other fun used cars you can buy? [deviltail]

81 - 100 of 113 Posts