Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got a new clutch pack, but sometimes in city driving, it wants to do 2nd gear starts. [No 2nd to 3rd-4th shudder as seen often, at least.]

So, I shift manually 1-2-3 in S mode, and back to D, and somehow it goes away. But only in city driving, on Interstates and burbs been OK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay. So it's been four-and-a-half months since they replaced my clutch pack in my 2014 Focus, and I think the other shoe has dropped.

This past weekend it shuddered once and my heart sank. I hadn't felt it in nearly five months. It didn't shudder again for a day or two, so I figured it was an anomaly.

I was wrong. The shudders have gradually been increasing over the past five days. Today it happened a bunch of times, and I am totally stressed out about it. I know it probably sounds silly, but I'm really STRESSED. My car drove like a dream for the entire summer and now....BAM!

I'm still at 29,000 miles, so what do I do? Take it back to the dealership and hope they'll replace them again so I can get another 4.5 months of smooth driving? I'm really frustrated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right, Sailor. I can feel right now it's not as bad as it was when they replaced them back in May. We'll see how rapidly it progresses. It's just frustrating. :-(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
On Third Clutch

Okay. So it's been four-and-a-half months since they replaced my clutch pack in my 2014 Focus, and I think the other shoe has dropped.

This past weekend it shuddered once and my heart sank. I hadn't felt it in nearly five months. It didn't shudder again for a day or two, so I figured it was an anomaly.

I was wrong. The shudders have gradually been increasing over the past five days. Today it happened a bunch of times, and I am totally stressed out about it. I know it probably sounds silly, but I'm really STRESSED. My car drove like a dream for the entire summer and now....BAM!

I'm still at 29,000 miles, so what do I do? Take it back to the dealership and hope they'll replace them again so I can get another 4.5 months of smooth driving? I'm really frustrated.
We just had the clutch replaced again in my wife's Job 1 2014 Focus with the new style "B" clutch at 24K miles. The prior clutch was an "F" version and lasted 17K miles before it became unbearable from an off the line and 1 to 2 shutter perspective. We has even been using mid-grade gas as that seemed to reduce the shudder.

Interestingly enough, the tech also found that the outer input shaft seal was leaking oil so he replaced both seals. The car had the "good" seals from the factory (the paperwork for the first clutch replacement indicates the seals were not replaced at that time), so it is possible that your car is shuddering because one of the seals has started to leak.[rant]

·
Registered
39 Posts
it is possible that your car is shuddering because one of the seals has started to leak.
That's good info to know. It definitely gives me something to quiz them on whenever I end up taking it back to the dealership. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went ahead and made an appointment with the dealership for next week. About 70% of my cold starts now are "shudder-filled". This dealership treated me very well in May when my clutch pack was first replaced and I think they'll try and do right by me. Will keep y'all updated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Need a Reference for the Boston area

My daughter's Fiesta needs to have its clutch tested and potentially changed. Anybody had positive experiences with dealers on this issue in the Boston area, hopefully around Woburn or Stoneham? The car was purchased in Indiana, so taking it back to the selling dealer is not practical.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Took my wife's 2012 focus in last week. Confirmed over the threshold but the wait on a repair bay is 6 months :|. They say they can do two of these cars a week and they have a massive queue. So I guess we will have to wait till Feb for them to replace.

Wondering if it's best to get it fixed then trade it in. The last clutch pack/seals lasted about 1.5 years. If these only last another 1.5 years or so, I'll be at the end of the 7 year extended warranty on the transmission and might miss out on fixing it one more last time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My last clutch pack only lasted the summer. I'm on the list for new clutch, seals, and TCM with no ETA as they are on backorder.

Wonder if I should get on the waitlist immediately after this replacement so the parts will be in by the time is starts again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Backorder

My last clutch pack only lasted the summer. I'm on the list for new clutch, seals, and TCM with no ETA as they are on backorder.

Wonder if I should get on the waitlist immediately after this replacement so the parts will be in by the time is starts again.
I was told a few weeks ago when we had a new clutch installed that the clutches are fairly available with leadtime of a week or so but that the TCM's have a significant backorder issue. At the time, I was contemplating having them replace the TCM at my expense to reduce the likelihood that my wife would be stranded. Given the backorder situation, we didn't go down that path.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
gatzdon - situation with clutch packs has changed, with the new version coming out to replace the ones they weren't keeping in stock pending the new version release.

Keep in touch through any "backorder" situation to make sure you are not overlooked.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Has anyone who previously had the F revision clutches installed have the shudder come back and get the dealer to agree to replace with the new F1FZ-7B546-B parts? My shudder came back after about a year and a half. Dealer did the TCM fix last week but it's shuddering and grinding just as much as before.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Has anyone who previously had the F revision clutches installed have the shudder come back and get the dealer to agree to replace with the new F1FZ-7B546-B parts? My shudder came back after about a year and a half. Dealer did the TCM fix last week but it's shuddering and grinding just as much as before.
Yea, me. Look for my prior posts on this thread!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
On Third Clutch

Yes, my wife's 2014 Focus is on the third clutch, now the "B" version replacing an early "F". The car just turned 27K miles!

The tech did find that the seals were leaking even though they were the "brown" seals that were supposed to be the improved version.

My 2014 Focus had the "F" version installed a year ago and shudders occasionally. That car has 40K miles and I expect that I'll have to get the "B" version installed at some point.[chair]

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks guys. I called my dealer this morning and they claimed Ford wants them to try fixes in "stages" which is why they couldn't go right to replacing the clutches again. I made another appointment, if anything the shuddering has been more consistent since the TCM update. It seems worst in my car after it's been driven for a while and when there is a passenger in the car.

I will specifically mention the F1FZ-7B546-B clutches when I drop my car off. I also have a case open with Ford Service here, waiting for the CSM to call back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2015 Focus last year in September. Car had 4325 miles on it. When I first bought the car I would get the occasional shudder not bad though. At about 25k it started to get worse.
I noticed things like extended driving and heat seemed to make it worse. At 25,500 I took it in for service. They reflashed the computer. It didn't seem much different but I figured I would give it some time. I brought it back and they replaced the TCM. I didn't notice any difference so six weeks later I returned.
This time they replaced the entire assembly. I was told this was the newest version.
I've had the car back a week now and it definitely better. It drives like a real automatic now. It even has the firm shifts between gears. My guess is that the new upgraded clutch pack uses heavy duty plates.
The problem is they should be replacing the clutch pack first. The computer is trying to compensate for a worn out clutch that slips. I'm hoping this is the final fix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
New Programming made a Difference

My 2014 Focus had it's clutch replaced a year ago at 24K with an "F" clutch. At about 37K it started to shudder between 1-2 and 2-3. I had them run the pinpoint test and it did pass (125RPM slip vs. spec of 250) However, as part of the test the software is updated to the latest version and the adaptive learning is restarted. I am happy to report that after about a 150 miles learning period, the new software has improved the behavior of my Focus. It is not quite as good as my wife's 2014 Focus with the new "B" clutch, but about 90% there, at least for now. [wrenchin]

41 - 60 of 113 Posts