Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Update:

I had my clutches replaced today and new TCM programmed.

I had confirmed before and after that the F1FZ-7B546-B part was installed in my car. In fact, I told them that I would be willing to wait if they did not have it available and were planning on installing the F revision again (that's what I had from about 10 months ago).

When I received the car back today, every single shift, save one, was completely smooth. I could not tell I was driving a DCT; very much felt like the rental BMW X5 that I had. The one shift that jerked a little was when I had just turned the car one and was proceeding from a stop. It was fine after that.

I drove almost 40 miles after receiving the car back. It was perfect on the freeway, streets, and in stop and go traffic.

I am very pleased with this update. More than I was with the F revision last year.

The service adviser confirmed that this was the part in the 2016 model and that I have a "99% chance of this being the last replacement" for this car. He said I should not have any problem with this replacement combination.

Additionally, I had rented an X5 (w/corporate discount it only cost about $15 more than a standard midsize rental) for a day. While it drove a lot smoother than the Focus, I do have to say that I had more fun driving the Focus (especially after the replacement). There are a lot more blindspots on the X5. Never knew how much I appreciated the Focus' blindspot mirror (and the large overall mirror).

Obviously, it was much quieter in the X5. Next time, I'll take the Camaro convertible if it's available again. My other option was an Explorer for the "luxury class" from Enterprise, but I figured I might as well try a German car while I had the chance.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to driving the Focus again tomorrow. Hopefully it gets a lot warmer so I can really test out how temperature-resistant the new clutches are.

The RPMs tend to smoothly shift, although they do hang at 3-3.2k, I ASSUME to smooth out the shift back downwards.

I would have preferred if the shifts were similar to crisp manual shifts, but if we can't get that, I am happy with CVT style smooth "shifts."

Next test will be next week when I have to drive through some anticipated heavy traffic. If it can make it through that, I will have high hopes for the performance of this clutch replacement, albeit longevity is still unknown.
Sounds exactly like my car and my review. The only shudder I felt was exactly when I drove out the dealer lot with less than 2 miles on the fresh clutches. After that it's been butter smooth and I described my car shifting like a cvt also in my review thread. My clutch part is different but I bet they put a updated programming on both of our cars.

Focus is wonderful to drive with whatever they did

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sounds exactly like my car and my review. The only shudder I felt was exactly when I drove out the dealer lot with less than 2 miles on the fresh clutches. After that it's been butter smooth and I described my car shifting like a cvt also in my review thread. My clutch part is different but I bet they put a updated programming on both of our cars.

Focus is wonderful to drive with whatever they did

Sent from my N9518 using FF Mobile
When was your clutches done? Because mile and time will tell.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When was your clutches done? Because mile and time will tell.

700 something miles on these clutches now. Hopefully they last for a while. This is not a car I'm keeping for my full car loan as I out mentally out grown the size and style already, but I do want a smooth ride for the time I'm keeping this size car.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clutch repair

After having my TCM changed twice for this year in a 3-4 month period now at 47217 km. I just got BV6Z-7B546-F, reprogram PCM/TCM asy oil and clutch fork change. I hope this works, one year of transmission problem. [?|]

From Trinidad and Tobago

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
New clutches (F1FZ-7B546-B), new seals (EV6Z-7052-C), and new transmission fluid = excellent drive!

Just drove close to 200 miles today from 70-100 degrees (morning to afternoon) and the car drove great!

·
Registered
220 Posts
New clutches (F1FZ-7B546-B), new seals (EV6Z-7052-C), and new transmission fluid = excellent drive!

Just drove close to 200 miles today from 70-100 degrees (morning to afternoon) and the car drove great!
Hope this is the final fix. I was going to bring my car in to have check clutches after the last TCM update, and then I started to figure out what behavior they changed in the shift program and I can get the car to mostly behave itself without too much effort. However it still shudders and slips when my wife drives it, which makes me think I should just get the work done.

The dealer did say they had to send all their old clutch packs back, so I'm guessing Ford must be very confident in these new parts...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had issues with my transmission since I've gotten my 2013 focus at 30k miles, but I bought into the whole "you're driving it wrong" response. The transmission would shudder in first and second religiously, grind, and refuse to go into gear after slowing down or making a turn. I've been 'fighting' the transmission since day one to get it to function.

I had the transmission die on me at 75k, I was stopped at a red light, and it refused to go into gear. I panicked turned it off then on, followed by a bunch of grinding from the engine then the CEL coming on. I decided to open the door to try and push it off the road, and when I opened the door it did it's whole transmission "clicking" thing very loudly. After that it started right back up. but the transmission would not stay in gear, it would bounce into neutral constantly; which was very scary when I was accelerating. I had no choice but to bring it into the dealer.

I figured the worst from reading these forums, but I am very happy with my service. I brought it in Tuesday and I had it back today (Thursday). I had the full service done, clutches(F1FZ), seals, new tcm, throughout bearing, and dust cover. All covered under the program.

It is like a brand new car! I'm still getting used to not feeling every shift slip, the car feels like my old CVT Sentra. I hope this lasts! It drives so much differently now, it is kinda shocking.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Excerpted the end of this thread for a new one to show the current new clutches avail..

It's been noted in a few places but no single thread to show it yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a skipped gear today with the new clutch. I was told that I need to put my car in neutral once in traffic as my transmission may be overheating. I wasn't in traffic at the point in time. So why am I back to square one?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had a skipped gear today with the new clutch. I was told that I need to put my car in neutral once in traffic as my transmission may be overheating. I wasn't in traffic at the point in time. So why am I back to square one?
Never heard of these clutches skipping a gear. Also, you don't have the newest clutches.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It is like a brand new car! I'm still getting used to not feeling every shift slip, the car feels like my old CVT Sentra. I hope this lasts! It drives so much differently now, it is kinda shocking.
That's how I feel too!

I didn't realize how much I was mentally preparing myself for each shift's jerk!

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Putting in neutral at a stop makes no difference, IF you actually press the brake pedal adequately.

Let up on the pedal after a stop and it tries to move again, partially engaging the clutch and heating it up if you don't give it some throttle and move again. It'll engage and disengage in that indecisive condition.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's how I feel too!

I didn't realize how much I was mentally preparing myself for each shift's jerk!
Close to 900 miles now on my new "F" clutches and i still expect to feel a shudder on every take off. Still no shudder so it is sad how the mk3 shudders and jerks have trained our bodies and minds [giddy]

·
FF Affiliate
30,611 Posts
The 2016 Focus have a LOT of shudder issues as well , I have A lot of strategys sent into SCT waiting for them to add the 2016 Focus to the Strategys list to adjust the DCT

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Putting in neutral at a stop makes no difference, IF you actually press the brake pedal adequately.

Let up on the pedal after a stop and it tries to move again, partially engaging the clutch and heating it up if you don't give it some throttle and move again. It'll engage and disengage in that indecisive condition.
Thank you Lewisra for the info although it may not be the new one, my clutch is already giving trouble 2 days after a change. My master cylinder is leaking again this will be my third change, last one was 2-3 months ago.

@sailor, that's what they tell all of us in Trinidad and Tobago to switch gears to neutral once in traffic. I agree with you it makes no difference. I would adequately press the brake then release, press the accelerator experiencing one of the following no power/hesistation, transmission overheating pull over for 8 minutes or a sharp buck/kick/jerk which leads to TCM change x2. This time however they changed the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a mess, THREE brake master cylinders????
It certainly is a mess indeed, yes this will be my third brake master cylinder change. Every change goes back to original problem it leaks fluid and brakes gives out. I believe the vehicle is actually beyond repair nothing lasts more than 3 months when fixed.

When one thing goes wrong in my car all things give trouble:
Brake master cylinder
Transmission overheating
Gears shifting
Rolling forward in reverse gear on a flat surface/does not move at all
Hill assist
Traction control
Steering rack screech
Rear fog lamp shorting

21 - 40 of 113 Posts