Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
You'll want to keep an eye on it, I have read at least a few posts of people with DCT problems on the 2014 model focus.
Thanks, will do. Kind of disappointing to think that they wouldn't have fixed the issue by now. Is the 2015 supposed to have a new model/version of the DCT?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks, will do. Kind of disappointing to think that they wouldn't have fixed the issue by now. Is the 2015 supposed to have a new model/version of the DCT?
I haven't heard anything about the 2015 model yet. You may have no issues at all, look on the bright side !

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got my car back last night. Initial impressions are good but I'm waiting until I've gone through break-in/re-learning to say if it's 100%.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Story

I’m going to have my car in for the duel clutch repair September 17, I drive the car to work 6 miles to and from 5 days a week, more stop & go on the way home than the way in, Current mileage 10400. Bought the car January 31, 2013. I learned the cars manufactured around October 2012 seem to have the most trouble with this clutch and I’ve determined that is when mine was manufactured.
I’m pursuing the repair because the stuttering has increased over time from none to an annoying regularity, seems most noticeable when the outside temperature is above 80° F. Lately, when the it descends a steep hill from at a slow speed the transmission tries to stay in a very low gear instead of going to a higher gear allowing for a smoother decent. This is a new condition, the car just started doing this, I take this route every day. (Pittsburgh is known for steep hills)
Two questions, has anyone else noticed this too, and how is the success rate of the current repair?
This car has a lot to like, the ride is solid, handling great but the clutch and the sync system problems must be addressed if Ford wants to sell more cars to me in the future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just received my letter last Thursday and luckily enough I had my oil change appointment the following Saturday. Any how, when I brought it in the guy at the service desk tried to explain to me that the letter is just an explanation of the warranty and the shaking/shuddering is normal. I kindly asked him to ask the service tech to drive it. Luckily they had a senior service tech drive it and he said he didn't like the way it drove so I'm getting a new clutch next week.

With a new clutch, will the grinding/shaking/shuddering be lessened?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had the transmission reprogrammed, and parts ordered. It stil fails the computer check, but still shudders and vlanks. I've dri ven a few longer trips since thursday reprogramming, anx I have been getting lower gas milage for the same routes .

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got blown off on my latest visit. Said it passes the drive test parameters.. Ill have paperwork in hand later
That sucks man. I had mine taken in last week and initially my service advisor said that it wasn't that it wasn't meeting the test criteria for replacement. But then he personally drove it, noticed the shudder/grinding, and they kept rerunning the test until it met the replacement criteria.

So now I have my focus back with the new clutch assembly (revision D) and seals. It sure makes a hell of a difference to have a dealer works to make things right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have take my Focus at least 5 or 6 times complaining of the gearbox. About 3 month ago the took the gearbox out and told me they had changed the clutches. I took the car back a month ago and finally they accepted that they only cleaned the clutches.

this time ford approved the clutch replacement and it is working very good. They also had to reprogram myford since it was changing stations on any phone call received.

Also the right front lower arm had to be replaced since the bushing was broken. I complained about a noise and they claim it was nothing. I raise the car in my parking lift and took a photo. All this in less than 3 years and less that 29K miles.

I did purchase the ESP 7 years 100K warranty ( I do it on all Ford purchases) and always pays up (air conditioner, power brakes, suspension parts, induction parts etc). You can not buy a car without the extended warranty. I own 5 Ford cars and 3 other ford powered cars and cars are to complicated with all the electronics. My Ford Edge the GPS was out and showed the car running in the ocean. It was another fight with the dealer and ford to fix it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With a new clutch, will the grinding/shaking/shuddering be lessened?
Yes, absolutely. I had a new clutch pack installed a couple of weeks ago, and the lurching and shuddering disappeared completely. The grinding was almost completely eliminated (it became very faint and lasted for fractions of a second). For the first time in more than a year of ownership, I liked the experience of driving my car!

That party came to an end yesterday. The shudders are coming back when pulling away from stop lights, though the fork-in-a-blender grinding sounds are not yet back.

I think that gives me about three total weeks of normal car behavior in 15 months of ownership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take the car back and request a loaner. Call Ford and open a case. Make the life of the dealer difficult. I just leased a Escape SE 4WD for my Daughter for 3 years. It is more expensive that owning or buying the car but you do not get stuck with a lemon.

I want the new Mustang but I will wait until the Shelby/Cobra comes out and most of the bugs are fixed. I purchased the 2012 Focus Titanium in Sept 2011 too new. 3 years it took ford to acknowledge the errors.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I’m going to have my car in for the duel clutch repair September 17, I drive the car to work 6 miles to and from 5 days a week, more stop & go on the way home than the way in, Current mileage 10400...
I want to look into some options on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
19 Posts
As of today, I'm actually on my third clutch assembly. Worst vehicle I've ever owned. I just want out of it at this point. I've only owned my Focus 1.5 years and it has less than 16000 miles on it! Countless trips to the service center...countless, just to have been told a problem couldn't be recreated! The car had to actually shutter and buck so violently last time I got a new clutch assembly that they agreed it wasn't safe to drive. Earlier in the day, they told me it was just fine...go figure.

Ford corporate even told me if I kept bringing the car into the service center, they'd start charging me if they couldn't recreate the problem. The burden of proof was on me...I was told they were not concerned with a little rattle or low gear shuttering. That was normal, etc. etc.

Interesting how everything I was told was normal (when I originally complained) is everything they mentioned was a concern and cause for replacement on this update/warranty extension.

I have zero faith in this vehicle or this most recent fix. They're on they're third seal revision alone. In my state if a problem can't be corrected in three attempts the vehicle is considered a lemon.

Like I said. I just want out of this thing at this point. We originally leased the car with the intent of probably buying it towards the end. Who in their right mind would buy a car with this history of problems?

I have two options. Sue them or endure it for another 2 years. My last Ford. DONE, DONE, DONE! I figure we'll all see a class action suit on this thing before it's all said and done. They know the problem is huge with these dual shift transmissions... Ask anyone at your local service center.

For those of you getting your first new clutch assembly. My last one ran great for about 1000 miles before the same old problems came back. I honestly believe Ford is just throwing fixes at this rather than instituting a proper recall. Stay on top of them if you're having these problems. In my experience, they keep coming back.

I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone. The absolute worst new car experience ever. What good is the warranty if I have to make it my life's work to keep the car in the service center? Sooner or later, my time and most certainly (our peace of mind) is worth something to.

What kills me is any reasonable person could look at my vehicles history, speak with my local service mgr. and agree this is a bad egg. You'd think someone would simply say, "Hey, we get it and stand behind our product and nobody should ever have to go through all of this...especially with a new vehicle...let's get you in something without all these problems."

I've found Ford does not operate that way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is it really obvious when one of these transmissions have problems? The transmission on my 2014 feels different from a "regular" automatic, but I assume that's normal.

This is actually my first non-manual car, though I've driven a couple of automatics...just not on a regular basis, and never owned one before.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Took mine to the dealer this morning. The software re-flash performed last Nov. worked for a while, but this summer the trans behaved particularly poorly. The service rep called this afternoon to say that they were going to install the new clutch pack & seals, and that I should have the car back next week.

I wish there was more posted about the Adaptive Learning technology in these transmissions and what it senses and responds to. What is the risk to the powertrain if there was no Adaptive Learning? Excessive clutch pack wear? Do other commercial DCTs utilize a form of Adaptive Learning as well?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, I've leased my Focus and I most certainly feel stuck with a lemon. I escalated the case from this very forum and once in motion was even warned if I kept taking the car in to be checked I could be charged for the service calls.

At no point has anyone ever told me, "a new car owner shouldn't have to go through what you have; let's get you in a different vehicle."

There's been no concern for my time, peace of mind or countless trips to the service center. It's just an endless cycle of lip-service and if you're willing to fight hard enough you might finally beat them into a temporary fix and then you get to do it all again in a few months.

I honestly believe, Ford is throwing fixes at this problem until they're forced into a proper recall.

As far as trading in early on a lease?? What, and be punished financially because Ford can't keep the vehicle we agreed on running properly? Hell, I originally planned to buy this thing at the end of the lease. That option went out the window the first week I owned it after talking to the service center. Even the tech told me he wouldn't own one of these cars!

Filled me full of warm fuzzies right off the bat.

Take the car back and request a loaner. Call Ford and open a case. Make the life of the dealer difficult. I just leased a Escape SE 4WD for my Daughter for 3 years. It is more expensive that owning or buying the car but you do not get stuck with a lemon.

I want the new Mustang but I will wait until the Shelby/Cobra comes out and most of the bugs are fixed. I purchased the 2012 Focus Titanium in Sept 2011 too new. 3 years it took ford to acknowledge the errors.

161 - 180 of 2223 Posts