Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Does anyone know when the "Rev D" clutch packs came out? I, for one, had a "Rev D" clutch pack installed in September 2013 -- after the June 2013 build date cutoff -- though my 2013 SE was built in October 2012. And yet, that Rev D clutch still need to be replaced due to fluid leaking. They replaced it just this week, but used the same clutch pack (Rev D) and input shaft seals (part numbers line up) as they did in September 2013. However, they said the culprit this time was a different seal, which they claim to have fixed this time as opposed to last time. So I am hoping and praying that the reason "Rev D" and its new seals did not work for me the first time was that the fix was not complete, as opposed to that the Rev D clutch pack and seals do not get the job done.

Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?
I don't understand your many references to the clutch assembly since (in your case) the culprit was a leaking shaft seal.

These are 2 different parts with 2 entirely different functions.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't understand your many references to the clutch assembly since (in your case) the culprit was a leaking shaft seal.

These are 2 different parts with 2 entirely different functions.
There are 2 shaft seals on the DCT right? One for the outer shaft / case, and one for the inner vs. outer shaft?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
There was some ambiguity in the original post from the member that is the Ford mechanic as to whether the seals were just recently updated again in addition to the update to the clutch pack. I watched his video a couple times and still am not sure if that is what he intended.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
There are 2 shaft seals on the DCT right? One for the outer shaft / case, and one for the inner vs. outer shaft?
Yes see them here-

There was some ambiguity in the original post from the member that is the Ford mechanic as to whether the seals were just recently updated again in addition to the update to the clutch pack. I watched his video a couple times and still am not sure if that is what he intended.
Yes the seals change part numbers again from C to D now.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?
My point was this:

When the shaft seal leaks, all bets are off so any details about the clutch assembly become irrelevant.

A "rev. D" clutch assembly can be contaminated by oil just as the older ones can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To Kabigon:

True as it goes re clutch assembly version being irrelevant once seals leak, but it doesn't answer the concern, which is: Does the new TSB (with the "Rev F" clutch pack) include new, improved seals? Because my second "Rev D" clutch replacement included replacement seals with the same part numbers as the first time they gave me new clutches. This does not give me confidence that my new seals will work -- they are the same as the old ones, which apparently did not, unless, in fact, my new leak was the result of the "main" seal which is something different (obviously I am not an engineer).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
True as it goes, but it doesn't answer the concern, which is: Does the new TSB (with the "Rev F" clutch pack) include new, improved seals? Because my second "Rev D" clutch replacement included replacement seals with the same part numbers as the first time they gave me new clutches. This does not give me confidence that my new seals will work -- they are the same as the old ones, which apparently did not.
Sounds like they didn't install the latest revision of the seals available at the time of your replacement. We may have to ask Makuloco2000 how many he's performed that have come back.

·
__________/\__
2,127 Posts
To Kabigon:

True as it goes re clutch assembly version being irrelevant once seals leak, but it doesn't answer the concern, which is: Does the new TSB (with the "Rev F" clutch pack) include new, improved seals? Because my second "Rev D" clutch replacement included replacement seals with the same part numbers as the first time they gave me new clutches. This does not give me confidence that my new seals will work -- they are the same as the old ones, which apparently did not, unless, in fact, my new leak was the result of the "main" seal which is something different (obviously I am not an engineer).
The new clutch revision "F" now comes in a kit with the new seal. Per Brian, yes, it is a new seal with part identifier "D" The old seal had part identifier "C"

·
Registered
110 Posts
The moment that F revision comes out, I may take a trip over to the 'ole dealer. I like how 'E' was skipped altogether.
The extended warranty covers the D series clutch pack so even if they continue to update the transmission over time whether it's F,G or whatever, the conclusion I draw is that Ford has high confidence that the D fix will address previous problems. So far, it has for me, so I couldn't care less if they come out with another update as long as mine works the way it's working now.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The extended warranty covers the D series clutch pack so even if they continue to update the transmission over time whether it's F,G or whatever, the conclusion I draw is that Ford has high confidence that the D fix will address previous problems. So far, it has for me, so I couldn't care less if they come out with another update as long as mine works the way it's working now.
That's certainly a glass half full view of things.

My own suspicion is they are taking a wait and see approach pending more data on the later builds, but will eventually end up having to add them to the warranty as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I dropped my 2012 off yesterday 7/25 since I had shudder and grinding at 27k on the odometer. I called today to check on status and was told they are still working on it and it will probably need a new clutch.....We will see if the new info that was release a few days ago is applied to my car. I was told it would be Wednesday before I may get my car back.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thank you. Were there any obvious differences you could see between them?
They are now brown instead of black which may just be a color or another material that can handle higher heat ranges better. The browns sure do work.

Have you ever witnessed or heard of a DCT clutch shuddering (chattering?) that has not had leaking seals?
Yes many times and that is why the clutch has had many revisions also otherwise they would just keep revising the seals only until the clutch housing was dry.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They are now brown instead of black which may just be a color or another material that can handle higher heat ranges better. The browns sure do work.

Yes many times and that is why the clutch has had many revisions also otherwise they would just keep revising the seals only until the clutch housing was dry.
Thank you for the clarification. Just wondering, do you feel Ford has found a solution for the leaking seals and the clutch shudder? How many brown seal sets has your service department installed have returned for leakage?

We have at least a few on FocusFanatics that feel Ford is making zero progress in the DCT seal leaking and clutch chatter problems. I find it interesting that you differ from others by saying the brown seals work.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Too little, too late.

Any chance that I can get re-imbursed by Ford for having to dump their piece of junk car at a huge loss? LOL

The thing is that the transmission was only one infuriating aspect of that car. Even if the transmission gave no trouble, there would still be suspension noises, creaking sheetmetal in the door hinge area, peeling chrome (razor sharp!) on the steering wheel, and before I got rid of it, squealing bearings in the heater blower motor.

It cost me a lot to trade in that car, but it was worth every penny. I hated it and it was making me miserable.

The Subaru that replaced it now has 14,000 miles on it and not a single issue.

41 - 60 of 2220 Posts