Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2223 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,132 Posts
That's great. I guess it makes my 7/100 Premium Care worth about half what I paid for it.
Not necessarily as the 14M01 warranty extension only covers the input shaft seal and clutch. The transmission would be covered by your extended warranty.

The biggest problem will be getting your car in to get it done. .
Actually, the biggest problem may be getting Ford to acknowledge that you need a new clutch and seals. it will depend on how strict the latest TSB is in regard to the "tolerance" that is acceptable to Ford. Not everybody is going to automatically get a new clutch and seals.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well this is great news and I have to give a shout out to the OP for providing this update and for the videos and other input he provides -- just bumped his reputation.

I've had a few shudder events of little consequence but have known that I may need to replace the clutch at some point so knowing that they are standing behind this is a great comfort. It may have been tempting to get the clutch replaced earlier but since mine has been pretty good it made sense to wait for improved hardware/software and it looks like they are still making improvements with it now at rev F.

I'm at 33K miles now and if I can manage to 50K or so then get a new clutch/seals I would hope that would pretty much put to bed the concern about the dual clutch.

Now what will they do about the MFT for those that have it...

Brian

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Note the date of June 5, 2013 in the dealer letter.

For cars built before that date, it would seem to indicate that the shaft seals have a reasonable chance of developing a leak.

Also note that this program does will not apply to cars built after that date (which means most 2014 MY Focuses).

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
This is great news. That warranty will cover the life of my loan now. Really happy Ford stepped up on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So, basically Ford is telling the customers that:

Transmissions built after 6/6/2013 use new parts and they should be (largely) problem free.

If this is really the case, then we should congratulate Ford for getting the job done. To judge if this is really the case, I think we need to poll 2014 owners and those who recently received oil leak treatments.

If you are sure that you have the new parts (inner shaft seals and clutch packs), please report your experience.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Congratulate them? For taking more than 2 years to "fix" a shaft seal?

Keep in mind that is was clearly in their best interest (as a business) to fix any and all known problems with the DCT.
Remember, it took Ford 2 years to fix the 1997-1998 F-150 4.2 timing seal leaks too. And took them infinite years (as in wait until it went out of service) to fix the 3.8 V6 front wheel drive application blown head gaskets, and infinite years (as in wait for it out of service) to fix the 2.0 SPI engine's cylinder head dropping of valve seats.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I don't know how to feel about this. My 2014 has a build date of 11/22/2013. So I guess I'm not covered by this. But I also guess that means I have the "new" clutch pack, etc.

I will say that I have about 5500 miles on the car and have had no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know when the "Rev D" clutch packs came out? I, for one, had a "Rev D" clutch pack installed in September 2013 -- after the June 2013 build date cutoff -- though my 2013 SE was built in October 2012. And yet, that Rev D clutch still need to be replaced due to fluid leaking. They replaced it just this week, but used the same clutch pack (Rev D) and input shaft seals (part numbers line up) as they did in September 2013. However, they said the culprit this time was a different seal, which they claim to have fixed this time as opposed to last time. So I am hoping and praying that the reason "Rev D" and its new seals did not work for me the first time was that the fix was not complete, as opposed to that the Rev D clutch pack and seals do not get the job done.

Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not necessarily as the 14M01 warranty extension only covers the input shaft seal and clutch. The transmission would be covered by your extended warranty.

Actually, the biggest problem may be getting Ford to acknowledge that you need a new clutch and seals. it will depend on how strict the latest TSB is in regard to the "tolerance" that is acceptable to Ford. Not everybody is going to automatically get a new clutch and seals.
I read the technical info and it basically mirrors the current TSB. They flash the PCM first , then do the RPM test. If the seals need replacing, you clean the clutch first and if it eventually needs it, it has to be called to Ford for authorization before we order a new clutch. The big change for us (I work in a Ford parts dept) is we no longer have to order each piece (seals and hardware) separately. It all comes as a kit now. Makes it more easy for us. It also says to use either the D or F clutch. I think Ford wants to use up all the D kits till the supply runs out. That's just my useless opinion though. LOL My wife's car has slippage in 2nd gear only that is bad at times and non existent at times also. The last RPM test it shuddered at 242 rpms. I think I'll wait till either it gets real bad or before 100,000 miles (it has 43,000 as I type).

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?
Mine was done last fall and is shuddering and grinding again. I was going to have it redone two weeks ago when I was on vacation, but couldn't get the car to the dealer before we left. I have to get it back there again, but I think now I will wait until the Rev D clutch packs are out of inventory.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My wife's car has slippage in 2nd gear only that is bad at times and non existent at times also.
That is one of the more vexing aspects of the problem. It comes and goes and you have to pray you get it to the dealer on one of the bad days, otherwise you will be wasting more time with additional trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is one of the more vexing aspects of the problem. It comes and goes and you have to pray you get it to the dealer on one of the bad days, otherwise you will be wasting more time with additional trips to the dealer.
And this is why I have always think it's a program issue that causes the clutch to slip, making it ineffective after so many thousand of miles. Yes, the seals go bad too, but mine is dry as a bone and I have been looking for it at every oil change. But what do I know, I'm not an engineer. LOL

21 - 40 of 2223 Posts