Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hell, Getrag, Luk, (whoever the seal supplier is/was), Ford may never know.
As hard as I find this to believe (I mean, it's clearly a problem, how do they not know what's causing it?), it might very well be the truth. Otherwise, why would they need to revise it so many times? It can't possible be that complex, can it?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... It can't possible be that complex, can it?
It could be. Maybe rather than a single root cause there have been several simultaneous problems interacting in strange ways.

I hope that's the case. Otherwise, the length of time it has taken to be resolved does not inspire much confidence in Ford.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Perhaps it has something to do with the tolerances of two concentric shafts driving the transmission? Or tolerances with heat (gradients)? Especially if the dry clutch isn't very good at dissipating heat.

Is our gear oil anything special? Sometimes material changes are made due to chemical incompatibility. That's about all I got off the top of my head.
Throw a bit of software in that mix, too. I'm still suspicious of what kind of beating the seals take with those two concentric shafts bouncing around during a shuddering event. Maybe the strength or spacing of the bearings that support the shafts could be improved?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am glad (after two years plus) that Ford has now issued a voluntary recall for the DCT transmission problems.

At this point hopefully owners can get the support they needed from day one, as they were told verbally and in writing that all those symptoms were normal and/or that they were driving it wrong (until now Ford has issued a voluntary recall)

The voluntary recall by Ford should put an end to the mis-information from dealers as well as the misguided ford supporters who thought people were unfairly pushing this subject. And also the odd collection of DIY fixes posters were pushing like WOT.

It would be great if the guy who created the 4-page "everything is normal" memo could be forced to consume it on nationwide TV.

Best wishes to all, I said I'd be done when a recall was issued and it has been, Steve

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Best wishes to all, I said I'd be done when a recall was issued and it has been, Steve
14M01 is a Customer Satisfaction Program- a warranty extension on the transmission input shaft seal, clutch and software only.

It is not a recall. It does not even take effect or have any significance until your factory powertrain warranty expires at 5 years/60,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For anyone out there who hasn't had the latest software updates or seals and clutches, it doesn't work. The car will be fine for two weeks or so and then everything just comes right back. They haven't fixed the issue. I'm on my 3rd set of clutches and seals and still have many many issues. My advice to anyone with problems, go the lemon law route as soon as you get 30 days out of service because it just gets worse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine was fixed, (Just seals and clutch clean) Forward gears are fine, reverse is chugging now to a stall and the exhaust sounds like it fell off, back in the shop less then 12 hours later. :-(

·
Registered
58 Posts
For anyone out there who hasn't had the latest software updates or seals and clutches, it doesn't work. The car will be fine for two weeks or so and then everything just comes right back. They haven't fixed the issue. I'm on my 3rd set of clutches and seals and still have many many issues. My advice to anyone with problems, go the lemon law route as soon as you get 30 days out of service because it just gets worse.
I think it has been fixed for many. I think in your case it could be a human performance problem. The tech needs to do it pretty spot on. Go to different mechanic/ford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Model much better!

You will all be glad to know that Ford has effectively remedied this problem. While the Transmission isn't like a torque converter transmission, is does function properly on my 2014 Focus SE. I was concerned after viewing the numerous complaints, mine seems to be fine at 6800 miles, getting about 35 MPG. Hope any of you with the problem, get the results you need. Best of Luck[loveff][thankyou][wave]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You deduce this because of 1 vehicle (yours) exhibiting this behavior? So no one's fixed vehicle will stay fixed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You deduce this because of 1 vehicle (yours) exhibiting this behavior? So no one's fixed vehicle will stay fixed?
No, i deduce this because this is my 3rd clutch, I deduce this b/c I'm not the only one who has been through multiple clutches. I deduce this because several people have also been through multiple transmissions with the issue still present. I deduce this because multiple people continue to still have issues even after the latest Ford fixes/revisions. I don't want anyone to have false hope.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, i deduce this because this is my 3rd clutch, I deduce this b/c I'm not the only one who has been through multiple clutches. I deduce this because several people have also been through multiple transmissions with the issue still present. I deduce this because multiple people continue to still have issues even after the latest Ford fixes/revisions. I don't want anyone to have false hope.
Ya that is clear, lemons can be very stressful. In the end get the best trade in you can and move on I would say, enough is enough.

I haven't heard of anyone getting all new transmissions. That would seem to the ultimate fix.

I am pretty sure incorrect procedures regarding the clutch fix is an issue. A new tech and a new mechanic with a verification of the special tool pack used to do the clutch would be in order after not getting the fix right after three times.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You'd think that Ford would want to resolve these issues because it has to be costing them a fortune just in labor and parts costs. The profit margin probably gets eaten pretty fast on a car that needs multiple transmission repairs in such a short span of time(for a lot of them). Plus it almost guarantees that these people will go elsewhere to buy in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ya that is clear, lemons can be very stressful. In the end get the best trade in you can and move on I would say, enough is enough.

I haven't heard of anyone getting all new transmissions. That would seem to the ultimate fix.

I am pretty sure incorrect procedures regarding the clutch fix is an issue. A new tech and a new mechanic with a verification of the special tool pack used to do the clutch would be in order after not getting the fix right after three times.
There is a video on youtube of some1 who has had a transmission replaced and is still having issues. In researching lemon law case's I found 2 others in Cali that had also had transmissions replaced but still had issues. I am on my 3rd clutch, I've also had 3 different dealers work on my car.
(fwiw I'm also on my 3rd radio)

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a video on youtube of some1 who has had a transmission replaced and is still having issues. In researching lemon law case's I found 2 others in Cali that had also had transmissions replaced but still had issues. I am on my 3rd clutch, I've also had 3 different dealers work on my car.
(fwiw I'm also on my 3rd radio)
good god, well get rid of the dam thing and save yourself the stress.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You'd think that Ford would want to resolve these issues because it has to be costing them a fortune just in labor and parts costs. The profit margin probably gets eaten pretty fast on a car that needs multiple transmission repairs in such a short span of time(for a lot of them). Plus it almost guarantees that these people will go elsewhere to buy in the future.
The dealer will offer you out through a trade, then you move up into another Ford because of the finance plan (usually a different model and in the case of a focus likely a higher end model)

The dealer makes the money on the new car and pawns off the used for what they can while trying to hide it's known issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh I'm working on it. Expect a detailed post about the lemon law process [wave]
Well best of luck, works a little differently here in Canada. Be great if a dealer could just give you a decent price, but you likely don't want another Ford.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
At three clutches, complaining is reasonable!

Two or three nationwide with a complaint after a new trans is a pretty small number. There's a good chance they got replacements back in '12, since that was when more were going back to Ford for examination. They wouldn't be revised versions in that case, so another problem is more likely than with a replacement now.

IMHO there's a good chance of a different problem than the clutch/seals in cases where repeated replacement doesn't solve the problem.

What may be happening in some of those cases is that with a std. repair process in place, that's all that gets done repeatedly without looking deeper for a different problem. For one guess alone, there are two clutch actuators that have to work exactly right for smooth clutch engagement. I've only seen reports on changing one of those when it's not working properly at all.

281 - 300 of 2223 Posts