Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
So they want to do mine for the shudder issue but they just want to do the seals, no clutch. Any advice
This is what my dealer did, along with cleaning the clutches and reflashing the transmission software. I believe they inspect the clutches for damage to determine if they need to be replaced or not. My car only had mild symptoms so I am not surprised this is all that was done. My car is much better so far. I went on an 800+ mile road trip last week and it's still performing nicely, fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks & Update

I called the service advisor at Ford dealer the other day. At the bottom of my last invoice (from the Trans and clutch RR) he wrote "trans may shift a little funny for a while do (SIC) to updates." I asked him what is "a little funny," and how long could that potentially go on? Because I've put 800+ miles on the car since picking it up, it's been growling a little, shuddering a lot and lagging before engaging from a stop. His response was, "It could take a while." Still doesn't answer my question. Anyway, it's back in the shop today so they can check it out. Not that I have a crystal ball or anything, but I imagine him calling me later to say they couldn't find anything wrong. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is what my dealer did, along with cleaning the clutches and reflashing the transmission software. I believe they inspect the clutches for damage to determine if they need to be replaced or not. My car only had mild symptoms so I am not surprised this is all that was done. My car is much better so far. I went on an 800+ mile road trip last week and it's still performing nicely, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Thank you, I've agreed to let them go ahead and do what they want, if it continues after I will just take it back with documentation I have gathered and insist on clutch pack F. Thank you for your time everyone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
wuuuuuut

Well I just joined the crapped out transmission club... I will see how it plays out...this focus was the first American car I have bought in a very long time.
My last one was a 1985 1/2 Mercury gran marquis. That pos pushed me to Honda......
I just want it fixed without the hassle from the dealer.

Any problems or headaches. I'll be a Honda customer again
hello Ford ? Are you listening ? 64k and a failed transmission ? And I know I'm NOT the only one lol
64k before ur failed transmission?....showoff!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked our Grocery getter up from the dealership yesterday. They installed The new clutch assembly per the latest TSB and both (2) input seals per the TSB. The car shifts really nicely now. Better than when it was brand new. Here is the paperwork with the part numbers.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Picked our Grocery getter up from the dealership yesterday. They installed The new clutch assembly per the latest TSB and both (2) input seals per the TSB. The car shifts really nicely now. Better than when it was brand new. Here is the paperwork with the part numbers.
Fascinating that they improperly used the word "shutter" on the work order then used "shudder" further down in the text.

The DPS6 "shudders" (not shutters)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Fascinating that they improperly used the word "shutter" on the work order then used "shudder" further down in the text.

The DPS6 "shudders" (not shutters)
But the one I rented did "stutter" a time or two.

Before that I thought people were using the word "stutter" in place of "shudder" by mistake, but it really was a more accurate description of what I felt. (It was barely noticeable -- nothing like the violent shaking people with oil-soaked clutches describe.)

Anyone who has learned to drive a car with a manual transmission has experienced the irregular shudder from not coordinating the engagement of the clutch with the application of the throttle, which is what I was expecting to feel when I first drove a DCT. I actually tried to make it happen by playing with the gas pedal, but it would not. What I felt instead was more like the regular pulsing of anti-lock brakes doing their thing.

That made me suspect, at least in that instance, that it had more to do with traction control or torque vectoring than I my earlier suspicion that it was caused by a lack of coordination between the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM), as I had been thinking. That's also consistent with it happening while accelerating "enthusiastically" ([;)]) while in a very gradual turn.

It's possible that different cars are displaying different symptoms, especially after an oil comaminated clutch starts slipping erratically. Even the same car might be doing different versions of "normal" at different times.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got my car back on tues afternoon. So far so good after the repairs.
Very smooth shifting. Keeping fingers crossed

·
Registered
343 Posts
14M01 - TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION

This applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

* Ford is extending the warranty (fully transferable) on the DPS6 transmission input shaft seal, clutch assembly, and firmware updates to 7 years/100,000 miles. This takes effect after expiration of your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

* If you already have more than 100,000 miles on your car, they are still extending your warranty until January 31, 2015.

* There is a whole new clutch coming out: Revision "F" The clutch is still made by Luk.

* There is a new input shaft seal, part number identifier changes from C to D.

* As of July 21, there is an all new software flash.

* Here is the really good news (according to Brian) If you paid out of pocket for repairs on your DPS6 transmission input shaft seal or clutch assembly because your car was already out of warranty, Ford is going to reimburse you.

* There is a new technical service bulletin released for the DPS6 transmission: TSB 14-0131

* Ford will be sending owners a letter with details.

Enter your VIN number here for info: (Click the Vehicle tab)
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=EDFC671CBE183F2F861A2AC232915209.fcvas503
So as someone (me) who owns a 2014 Ford focus that was made 7/9/13 should have no issues and therefore not need new parts and software re flashes that just came out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just an FYI, you didn't get the newest clutch/seals. Looking at the part numbers, you got the old ones like I did (look at the D suffix on the clutch part number versus F for the newest). Not the end of the world, however there have been plenty of people who have gotten the D-rev we did and had issues still [facepalm]

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 2014 with 9,300 miles took a ride with the service head today and is going back on October 2nd to have the noise/violent shudders recorded for Ford to look at to determine what to fix. Noises range from small grinding to extremely loud grinding (to the point that I can hear it with my windows shut and people have looked at my car as it drove by because of it), but are all random and not super consistent. The service head agreed that the shudder itself is enough for them to submit to Ford -- and he did hear the smaller grinding noises.

However, my build date was 8/17/13. He told me that Ford extended the warranty on clutches/etc for 100,000 miles. However, I never received a notice in the mail about this, so I was a bit perplexed to hear this. I just called Ford Service and they confirmed that my car is not covered by the warranty mentioned in this thread due to the build date. That supremely sucks since it was just a month later and I'm already experiencing issues.

Here's hoping my issue is fixed the first time entirely. But, coming from a lemon with Nissan, I'm definitely keeping track of every little thing.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
My 2014 with 9,300 miles took a ride with the service head today and is going back on October 2nd to have the noise/violent shudders recorded for Ford to look at to determine what to fix. Noises range from small grinding to extremely loud grinding (to the point that I can hear it with my windows shut and people have looked at my car as it drove by because of it), but are all random and not super consistent. The service head agreed that the shudder itself is enough for them to submit to Ford -- and he did hear the smaller grinding noises.

However, my build date was 8/17/13. He told me that Ford extended the warranty on clutches/etc for 100,000 miles. However, I never received a notice in the mail about this, so I was a bit perplexed to hear this. I just called Ford Service and they confirmed that my car is not covered by the warranty mentioned in this thread due to the build date. That supremely sucks since it was just a month later and I'm already experiencing issues.

Here's hoping my issue is fixed the first time entirely. But, coming from a lemon with Nissan, I'm definitely keeping track of every little thing.
It does not matter that your car is not covered by the 14M01 warranty extension program because your low mileage 2014 Focus is fully covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile factory powertrain warranty. The 14M01 warranty extension only takes effect after the factory powertrain warranty expires for cars built before June 15, 2013.

Yes, but seeing as my car is having issues already at 9,000 miles, that would be nice to have as a cushion.
There is a good chance, perhaps even a probability that more cars will be included in a future warranty extension if Ford sees fit.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It does not matter that your car is not covered by the 14M01 warranty extension program because your low mileage 2014 Focus is fully covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile factory powertrain warranty. The 14M01 warranty extension only takes effect after the factory powertrain warranty expires for cars built before June 15, 2013.
Yes, but seeing as my car is having issues already at 9,000 miles, that would be nice to have as a cushion.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Combination of hope & reluctance IMHO.

Hoped the latest ones would be OK after the June 15 production date & reluctance to extend a "satisfaction campaign" to cars that might not even be sold yet.

When Hyundai was new to the country, their cars had so many problems that adding an extended warranty was all that made them salable. That extension became permanent, and has affected warranties/expectations across the whole market.

Ford hasn't reached the point with this problem that they figure extending coverage for particular DCT issues on new cars is needed to continue selling them. It's likely that an extension of the current "satisfaction program" will happen for the '14 model year. If they stick with the trans. as long as planned, a more extensive program possibly including new car sales might even happen in the future. Continuing problems, even if the numbers are smaller than in the past, don't bode well for the rep. of this trans. system & a more proactive stance on the issue would be to their advantage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do not understand how the cutoff date was arrived at.

My questions:

Was there some kind of revision on this date?
Are cars made 1 day after less likely to have issues than cars made one day prior?
As a new clutch, new seals, and new programming have been produced in July / August, are the '14s running around without the new improvements going to run into issues eventually?

I have a '14 with the auto six speed that does not have the extension. I am not sure what to do here tbh. As my warranty was not extended and there are revised parts available I kind of feel like I'm playing the waiting game - hopefully should I run into issues they occur within the next 50,000 miles (as it appears that some people didn't need this until after 60,000 miles or dealers forced people to wait). I have cancelled my orders on after market parts as I'm not sure this car will be worth investing time / money into. I considered buying a warranty plan but I'm not keen on it. While I have not had these issues it make me worry which is creating a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do not understand how the cutoff date was arrived at.

My questions:

Was there some kind of revision on this date?
Are cars made 1 day after less likely to have issues than cars made one day prior?
As a new clutch, new seals, and new programming have been produced in July / August, are the '14s running around without the new improvements going to run into issues eventually?

I have a '14 with the auto six speed that does not have the extension. I am not sure what to do here tbh. As my warranty was not extended and there are revised parts available I kind of feel like I'm playing the waiting game - hopefully should I run into issues they occur within the next 50,000 miles (as it appears that some people didn't need this until after 60,000 miles or dealers forced people to wait). I have cancelled my orders on after market parts as I'm not sure this car will be worth investing time / money into. I considered buying a warranty plan but I'm not keen on it. While I have not had these issues it make me worry which is creating a sour taste in my mouth.
The cutoff date for the current TSB was likely determined by the version of the clutch pack and/or seals and/or software that was (most likely) used prior to and after the date. Since these cars all came from the Michigan plant, they probably have a good idea of when they switched to newer parts and which software was flashed when.

241 - 260 of 2223 Posts