Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I understand your frustrations. I'm looking into your case now with the numbers you've provided me, and I'll also touch base with my Twitter and Facebook coworkers. You've already been escalated to my highest point of contact, and had a supervisor in touch with you.

I'll reply to your message once I take a look.

Meagan
Yup, and here I am again....with no return phone calls as promised.

You guys are unbelieveable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm going in as well :-(

Calgary Alberta Canada, Red 2013 titanium hatch 25000 KM's. Taking it into North Star Ford in Calgary On the 9th. I have had it 13 months.

Began shuddering pretty bad last week, I thought I was a lucky one. I love this car, and up until now I liked the idea and fast shifts of the much more sporty dual clutch. Pretty sad about it actually, It could turn into a major problem, dealing with the dealer. And you have to worry about getting a good tech that does everything just right. Wish me luck, best of luck to all of you.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yup, and here I am again....with no return phone calls as promised.

You guys are unbelieveable.
My supervisors and I are working on getting a hold of your CSM and his supervisor.

UPDATE 5:26: I just spoke with Rose, she has not left for the day and plans to call you before she leaves. She wanted us to let you know she's been extremely busy and hasn't gotten though her emails. As with any job, you have slow days, and hectic days, and it's been one of the latter as of late.

UPDATE 6:01: I spoke with Rose again, and I see she's reached out and left a message. She is now out for the weekend and will follow-up with you Monday.

Meagan

·
Registered
183 Posts
My supervisors and I are working on getting a hold of your CSM and his supervisor.

UPDATE 5:26: I just spoke with Rose, she has not left for the day and plans to call you before she leaves. She wanted us to let you know she's been extremely busy and hasn't gotten though her emails. As with any job, you have slow days, and hectic days, and it's been one of the latter as of late.

UPDATE 6:01: I spoke with Rose again, and I see she's reached out and left a message. She is now out for the weekend and will follow-up with you Monday.

Meagan
Yeah, she's been busy, for two weeks, [twothumbs] <-thats sarcasm.

She did call, unfortunately when I called her back she didn't answer. (before the voicemail even registered on my phone)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone tell me if these fixes eliminate all the shudder. Mine has a shudder with the A/C on. I also get a shutter during acceleration.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can anyone tell me if these fixes eliminate all the shudder. Mine has a shudder with the A/C on. I also get a shutter during acceleration.
Ours was fixed......for about 5,000 miles.

I wouldn't expect your car to ever be right.

I plan to get ours fixed and then sell it or trade it in.

These cars are {stop editing my posts and putting smiley faces in it Sailor, I am not happy, there fore not smiling} pieces of crap, its a giant piece of crap.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Doubt your situation would have anything to do with trans. clutches from the description. This is a smoothness when changing gears problem as compared to feeling/running rough in gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have a issues where it shutters on hills and in low gears trying to speed up. Does this sound like a clutch issue? Overall I average around 34-35 MPG. It does have the issues with rolling backwards at a stop on hills but it does not bother me. I also have to come to a complete stop or it acts weird when I get back on the gas.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
It's hard to test drive it through the computer.

The "shudder" that's most common as a clutch issue is seen on gear engagement, which is why I questioned if your problem is the same when you mentioned a "shudder" (vibration?) when the A/C is on.

"Shudder" when taking off from a stop, or when going from coasting to acceleration as when in a turn, is the most common symptom of the clutch issues in this thread.

Bad enough to be worrisome? Get it checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what i was thinking it is not terrible but if you don't stop completely it jerks when you get on the gas. I am still trying to understand the surging with the a/c on. Some of the shudder seems to intermit. Does anyone know how I can find out if anything has been replaced on my car yet? Also does anyone know what conditions remain after the newest parts and programs are installed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
SO, SO very disappointed in this Focus!

Previously owned (and loved) 2004 Focus Sedan and 2006 Focus Hatch. Both were purchased used. At 55 years old, I finally purchased my very first brand new car, this 2012 Focus Hatch SEL. I absolutely love(d) this car for it's fun, sporty, yet comfortable ride, super gas mileage and great versatility. Until the growling transmission in low gear shifts and shuddering started.

The first dealer that I took it to (3 times) said that they found nothing wrong and couldn't replicate what was a daily occurrence for me. The second dealer immediately performed a software update, and my car rode very well for about 11,000 miles. (The shudder didn't completely disappear, but it was only noticeable during rush hour stop & go traffic, but the growling noise went away.) I fell in love with the car again.

Then the growling noise came back. I took it back to dealer #2 and suggested that maybe it needed another software update. Instead, they kept my car for more than 3 days (never offered me a loaner), performed TSB 14-0131, "rr trans and rr clutch replaced trans seals and cleaned clutch and installed reset and programmed trans." (Does anyone know what "rr trans and rr clutch" means, as I have NO IDEA ... I do not read mechanicese.)

I've driven over 800 miles since picking up my car, and the shudder is SO much worse than it was before! The growling noise started the day after I picked up my car, subsided after about a week, and now the noise is back and seems to be getting more frequent. I drove about 50 miles today on back country roads with stop signs and hills and was absolutely flabbergasted how much worse the shudder is now. I am SO sorry that they did that TSB work on my car!

I don't want this car anymore. I just want to get rid of it. This being my third Focus in a row, and the worst of the bunch by far, I am just SO disappointed! I don't think I can trust Ford again. When I sell it, I will likely look to Subaru, Toyota or Honda.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Focus 607

Your own thread on some of this might help with more answers, such as on the A/C questions.

"Jerk" when you didn't come to a stop could be related to this NOT being a std. fluid drive automatic. While still traveling fast enough for it to be in gear, it's a solid connection through the clutch & drivetrain. Just as with a regular manual, there's a small amount of take up or "slop" in the drivetrain between deceleration & acceleration. Large throttle input when going from slowing down to speeding up would give a bit of a jerk as that play is taken up. It's most noticeable with a manual trans. when traveling very slow in a low gear, though it does happen in all gears. Smaller initial throttle input when changing from slowing down to speeding up should help if this is what you're feeling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Makuloco's" YouTube video of the clutch & seals replacement, with his narration, is excellent. Thanks very much for directing me there.

I've long wondered what particular components are responsible for the rattling/grinding noise between shifts, and now i believe it's the "z-washers". Any other theories?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... (Does anyone know what "rr trans and rr clutch" means, as I have NO IDEA ... I do not read mechanicese.)
"rr" is an abbreviation for "remove and replace".

... the shudder is SO much worse than it was before! ... I ... was absolutely flabbergasted how much worse the shudder is now.

... I don't want this car anymore. I just want to get rid of it. ...
You should not have to get rid of it. It should be possible to repair the car so it won't shudder since other cars like yours have been repaired successfully. The repairs they performed have made the problem worse rather than better and need to be done correctly. Maybe they've done a few more since doing yours and have gotten better at it. Or, they might never be able to do it right so you would need to find another dealer who can.

To understand the problem better before taking it back again, see:
Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat > 2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained

You may not be interested in learning "mechanicese", but the more you know the better position you will be in to not be BSed. The second video in that thread is worth watching to understand what's involved in the repairs.

If you are set on getting rid of the car, it should be easier to do that if the shudder gets repaired (even if only temporarily) than if it does not. On the other hand, some focusfanatics members have tried repeatedly and for a long time to get their cars repaired but never succeeded. They would advise you to just take the loss and get rid of it without wasting any more time and energy on it. That worked for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reply to Arco-Zakus

Thanks for your response. I've been reading an awful lot about this growling/shudder problem for the last two years (including lurking on this board ... finally was pushed to the point of posting). I would like to learn more about cars (and am, a little at a time). I think one of the biggest failures in is that Autos 101 is not required learning for young people, if kids are going to learn to drive, they should be taught at least the basics about how the car works. Most, not all, boys learn about cars from their fathers or with their friends. 40 years ago, I was lucky that my Dad taught me how to check the oil and put air in the tires. I'll definitely watch the videos.

I've been dealing with this issue for 2 years, it's not something that crept up yesterday. I've been without a car a number of times. I've had used cars for years that have not been in the shop as much as this one has. I'm tired of it. I am calling the dealer this morning; my repair was done 2-1/2 weeks ago, I doubt they've learned much more in that time.

Someone else posted (as a response to another post) that Ford should be called an a ticket should be opened. Does anyone have a phone number that I can call?

I agree that I won't be able to sell the car the way it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Previously owned (and loved) 2004 Focus Sedan and 2006 Focus Hatch. Both were purchased used. At 55 years old, I finally purchased my very first brand new car, this 2012 Focus Hatch SEL. I absolutely love(d) this car for it's fun, sporty, yet comfortable ride, super gas mileage and great versatility. Until the growling transmission in low gear shifts and shuddering started.

The first dealer that I took it to (3 times) said that they found nothing wrong and couldn't replicate what was a daily occurrence for me. The second dealer immediately performed a software update, and my car rode very well for about 11,000 miles. (The shudder didn't completely disappear, but it was only noticeable during rush hour stop & go traffic, but the growling noise went away.) I fell in love with the car again.

Then the growling noise came back. I took it back to dealer #2 and suggested that maybe it needed another software update. Instead, they kept my car for more than 3 days (never offered me a loaner), performed TSB 14-0131, "rr trans and rr clutch replaced trans seals and cleaned clutch and installed reset and programmed trans." (Does anyone know what "rr trans and rr clutch" means, as I have NO IDEA ... I do not read mechanicese.)

I've driven over 800 miles since picking up my car, and the shudder is SO much worse than it was before! The growling noise started the day after I picked up my car, subsided after about a week, and now the noise is back and seems to be getting more frequent. I drove about 50 miles today on back country roads with stop signs and hills and was absolutely flabbergasted how much worse the shudder is now. I am SO sorry that they did that TSB work on my car!

I don't want this car anymore. I just want to get rid of it. This being my third Focus in a row, and the worst of the bunch by far, I am just SO disappointed! I don't think I can trust Ford again. When I sell it, I will likely look to Subaru, Toyota or Honda.
Ford is currently repairing mine. As soon as it is out of the shop, it'll be going straight to CarMax. I've owned numerous Subaru's (current family hauler is a 2012 Outback), 2 Mazda's, an Acura, and a VW. I've owned this Focus now and have a 2000 Ford F-250 for heavy work. The only two vehicles to have been in the shop for anything more than routine maintenance are the two Fords, and both on multiple occasions. I swore off Ford after my F-250 5.4 triton blew the spark plugs through the head (read all about that issue elsewhere) and Ford hung me out to dry. Focus was what the wife wanted, so we got it. Now she can't wait to get back into another Subaru - vehicles which have NEVER left us stranded.

The Focus is so enticing - it drives great, awesome interior, great design. Had they just put in a normal torque converter transmission, the car would be lightyears better. My rental 2013 Civic is getting better MPG than my Focus is with a normal torque converter transmission and it shifts just fine. Oh well, off to something that'll provide my family more sanity after this one [driving]

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Now she can't wait to get back into another Subaru - vehicles which have NEVER left us stranded.
A new Subaru might not leave you stranded but it may leave you with an $8,000 repair bill that Subaru will not cover under warranty.

Caveat Emptor:

"Subaru of America could face a class-action lawsuit over its alleged inaction regarding excessive oil consumption in its most popular models. Those involved with the proposed suit claim that Subaru knew about the excessive oil consumption and failed to inform buyers, even going so far as to refuse warranty coverage on oil consumption-based engine repairs."

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_subaru_faces_class_action_suit_for_excessive_oil_consumption.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
Calgary Alberta Canada, Red 2013 titanium hatch 25000 KM's. Taking it into North Star Ford in Calgary On the 9th. I have had it 13 months.

Began shuddering pretty bad last week, I thought I was a lucky one. I love this car, and up until now I liked the idea and fast shifts of the much more sporty dual clutch. Pretty sad about it actually, It could turn into a major problem, dealing with the dealer. And you have to worry about getting a good tech that does everything just right. Wish me luck, best of luck to all of you.
Thanks for reaching out, H2323. I received your private message as well and have filled you in with the next steps there. Looking forward to hearing from you with your information and an update!

Have a great day.

Brittany

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys. Just picked up my 2012 focus sel last week after getting the latest tab (type F clutches, new seals and reprogram). I must say this car had never run better so far in my entire time owning since February. I no longer get any shuddering or hard shifting. If anybody here is having transmission problems I highly recommend you push and push your dealer to get this done.

201 - 220 of 2223 Posts