Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2223 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back to bite me!

Todd
That phrase and "knock on wood" appear a lot in all the threads where the DCT is discussed.
Over the past 5 or 6 years I've crossed my fingers a lot for others like you who have taken a chance on the Focus DCT, but I don't think it has helped. From what I've read, getting the custom tune from Tom is more likely to get you a good result.

Kudos for taking the time to inform yourself in advance and for sharing your thinking. [thumb] I hope it will turn out OK for you and your son and daughter. (Do they appreciate your effort in this area?)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know damn well that Ford made a grave mistake with the DCT. And I personally don’t think that people are going to forget, however I do think that Ford thinks people will forget.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, the second replacement clutch made it one year and around ten thousand miles. Going back in on Tuesday for diagnosis and likely replacement. This will be on the warranty extension that ford gave (14 model). I like the car, but it will get traded once i get some miles on the tires that were put in five thousand miles ago.

Car has 47k and this will be forth clutch in its short life. Very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well, the second replacement clutch made it one year and around ten thousand miles. Going back in on Tuesday for diagnosis and likely replacement. This will be on the warranty extension that ford gave (14 model). I like the car, but it will get traded once i get some miles on the tires that were put in five thousand miles ago.

Car has 47k and this will be forth clutch in its short life. Very disappointing.

just for comparison, I am a focus owner who gave up and traded early watching all the posts here. I ended up with a VW GTI wet dual clutch tranny.

45,000 miles and so smooth that people I let drive it do not even know its anything but an automatic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know if I've just been lucky or what but my last clutch replacement is over a couple of years. Not sure of the miles exactly but a lot and I have had zero issues. Still have a year on the warranty and lots of miles so not too worried at this point. Once warranty is close I'll try for a new clutch and do Tom's tune but that may not happen because this clutch replacement is showing no sign of issues yet. Any one else have luck with there latest clutch replacement, like lots of miles and no issues.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't know if I've just been lucky or what but my last clutch replacement is over a couple of years. Not sure of the miles exactly but a lot and I have had zero issues. Still have a year on the warranty and lots of miles so not too worried at this point. Once warranty is close I'll try for a new clutch and do Tom's tune but that may not happen because this clutch replacement is showing no sign of issues yet. Any one else have luck with there latest clutch replacement, like lots of miles and no issues.
mine was only well-behaved during the cold new england winter

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ya, so far summer and winter has been good.
Excellent, Enjoy ! When the DCT is running right, the Focus is one of the best, sporty and economical cars out there for the price.

·
Registered
56 Posts

It didn’t fail the test. However, have plenty of time on warranty. It has to have 250+rpm of slip between 18-36% throttle. They recorded a max of 180rpm slip. This was after 43 mile drive.

I guarantee it will hit 250 slip very soon. Every time I go up my driveway it jumps into second unless I manually select 1st. No more manual selection for me. It can big and slip all the way up my driveway.

I’m pretty ticked right now. Will have a talk with the service manager and plead my case. The slip and shuddering is simply not acceptable. I’m sure it will do no good.

Will prob be going back in a month or two. No more babying it and manual shifting for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It didn’t fail the test. However, have plenty of time on warranty. It has to have 250+rpm of slip between 18-36% throttle. They recorded a max of 180rpm slip. This was after 43 mile drive.

I guarantee it will hit 250 slip very soon. Every time I go up my driveway it jumps into second unless I manually select 1st. No more manual selection for me. It can big and slip all the way up my driveway.

I’m pretty ticked right now. Will have a talk with the service manager and plead my case. The slip and shuddering is simply not acceptable. I’m sure it will do no good.

Will prob be going back in a month or two. No more babying it and manual shifting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Hmmm...interesting stuff. I need to get ours in before 60K but it sounds like the chances of ours failing the 250 RPM slippage are nil. We get some 1st to 2nd shudder if the vehicle is very hot. Apart from that it's fine. We have 49K miles on the original clutches. It's encouraging they did a 43 mile drive, sounds like someone took it home. [:)]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Has anyone who placed a claim with the settlement gotten anything yet? The lawyer's website hasn't posted any updates on what is going on in quite some time.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

You're right. It will do no good. At least for getting the clutch replaced anyway. You may gain something else from it though. The RPM variance isn't a simple guideline. It's a hardset value. If the variance is below 250, Ford will not cover replacement of the clutch. There's nothing the service manager can do about it. You can either wait until it hits 250 or pay out of pocket to have the clutch replaced. Those are the only options if you intend to keep the car. Personally, I'd dump the car as soon as the clutch is out of warranty.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're right. It will do no good. At least for getting the clutch replaced anyway. You may gain something else from it though. The RPM variance isn't a simple guideline. It's a hardset value. If the variance is below 250, Ford will not cover replacement of the clutch. There's nothing the service manager can do about it. You can either wait until it hits 250 or pay out of pocket to have the clutch replaced. Those are the only options if you intend to keep the car. Personally, I'd dump the car as soon as the clutch is out of warranty.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Yep. They record the telemetry and have to provide to ford before replacing. My opinion is that any slip at 18-36% throttle is ludicrous. It will be gone before clutch warranty is gone.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yep. They record the telemetry and have to provide to ford before replacing. My opinion is that any slip at 18-36% throttle is ludicrous. It will be gone before clutch warranty is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Every clutch slips to some degree when pulling away from a stop. The DPS6 DCT just doesn't engage the clutch fast enough to avoid the driver feeling it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Every clutch slips to some degree when pulling away from a stop. The DPS6 DCT just doesn't engage the clutch fast enough to avoid the driver feeling it.

I know that. But that’s in first couple of seconds (manual trans). It is ridiculous to be at 10-15mph and clutch still slipping no matter how you gas it. There are times it slips all away through second gear with normal accel. And heaven forbid you be turning left right as it goes into second gear. The sucker will slip/chatter until it goes into third gear. And then it realizes third is too low so it jumps back into second.

My favorite is my driveway - maybe a five degree slope. I slow down enough that it goes into first. Turn in and start up my 150’ driveway. Immediately jumps into second and then attempts to lug up the driveway with clutch slipping and chattering.

This car has been Babied all its life. Garage kept and middle age man driven. There is no excuse for the behavior of the programming and mechanical failures. 49k Miles. First clutch replaced at 30k. Second at 39k. And ready for another.

I would love to have a discussion with the drivetrain engineers as to why they felt they should dial in so much slip and why they get it needed to feel like a regular automatic.

I read the other day where Honda is actually putting a torque converter in their DCT trans. Wrap your head around that one.

If I were keeping the car, I’d def get the tune from tom and see what it does for it. But coming on fourth clutch, this car will be gone as soon as I wear the new off the tires that have 5k on them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone who placed a claim with the settlement gotten anything yet? The lawyer's website hasn't posted any updates on what is going on in quite some time.
I wasn't even aware of the settlement until I Googled "ford transmission class action" after having my 3rd clutch put in at 48k a couple of weeks ago. I wonder why the class action was so limited in scope? I mean, I meet the criteria except for the whole "deadline has passed" thing.

If I were keeping the car, I’d def get the tune from tom and see what it does for it. But coming on fourth clutch, this car will be gone as soon as I wear the new off the tires that have 5k on them.
I'll probably get Tom's tune middle of next year when I hit my 5 years or 60k miles. Hopefully Ford will give me a fresh new clutch right before I hit that point, too :p

I'm understand why Ford would prefer to spend hundreds of thousands (or more) on replacing clutch packs if Tom's right and it's as simple as a tune, which is why I'm hesitant to spend almost $500 without any guarantee and mixed reviews (although admittedly more positive than negative). Once my warranty is up, though, I don't suppose I have much to lose and might as well give it a shot.

I saw that, though I'm not sure if that will have any bearing on movement in the US.

I just had my clutch replaced again (48k miles) for a total of three so far, though if I'm being honest, the slipping was never really bad with any of them. I could just tell it wasn't optimal. Last one was replaced only 12k miles ago - and the first one (15k?) miles before that, so I'm wondering if I'll get in another one before I hit my 5 years (August 2019) or 60k miles.

Hopefully a class action or something that I actually qualify for will happen before then.

2101 - 2120 of 2223 Posts