Focus Fanatics Forum banner

181 - 200 of 2223 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Took mine to the dealer this morning. The software re-flash performed last Nov. worked for a while, but this summer the trans behaved particularly poorly. The service rep called this afternoon to say that they were going to install the new clutch pack & seals, and that I should have the car back next week.

I wish there was more posted about the Adaptive Learning technology in these transmissions and what it senses and responds to. What is the risk to the powertrain if there was no Adaptive Learning? Excessive clutch pack wear? Do other commercial DCTs utilize a form of Adaptive Learning as well?
Look at some of makaloco's videos here & in the General Tech stickies for a lot more info. on how it works & what some repairs entail.

The largest portion of the "adaptive learning" IMHO is the adaptation/adjustment to the specific clutches once installed & as they wear in. This would be necessary for proper operation of any automated clutch system. There is also supposed to be some adaptation to driving style, and that is a constantly changing 'adaptation" - eg. light throttle gets a different reaction than flooring it, and it'll tend toward "softer" shifts when throttle application is usually light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I thought I would post about my Recall. Took my SEL in and had it inspected. The dealer said that it exhibited leakage and they are replacing the seals. They said they will just clean the clutch. I asked if they would replace the clutch and the service tech said that it wasn't required. after reading through some of the posts and watching the videos I am now skeptical if the clutch should be replaced also.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
That's your opinion and you have every right to it. But you keep focusing on how (as in past tense) the problem has been handled; namely the original statement given to the service departments of "that's how it's supposed to work." Handled bad? Duh. Has Ford improved the process with re-engineered parts and re-engineered service procedures? I think so. How many attempts do they get to "get it right?" Everyone has their own opinion on that.

I believe kudos are in order as the process may not yet be complete and Ford hasn't washed their hands of it saying "it's good enough; that's all we're going to do."
I believe some heads rolled at Ford corporate before they did even this much. The Wall Street Journal ran an article about this issue. Dan50 eloquently summed up the article for those of you who do not subscribe to WSJ:

"Today's "Wall Street Journal" has an article about Joe Hinrichs, president of Ford's Americas business. The article is about his efforts to ensure a trouble-free launch of new products, like the Lincoln MKC and aluminum-bodied F150. Hinrichs is quoted as saying to the MKC team "If there are problems, let us know how we can help. I know a guy or two."

The WSJ article goes on: "Among the guys Mr. Hinrichs knows is Ford's global product development chief, Raj Nair, who worked closely with him in Asia before becoming product chief and has spent the last year with him trying to overcome quality problems with MyFordTouch and dual-clutch transmissions."

One interpretation is that in the spring of 2013, after two years of DCT production, failed fixes and denials, Ford was still selling what was arguably a defective (or at least troublesome) product. They may have become serious about this issue only then when Mr. Nair became involved.

Not sure his efforts have been completely successful, but it does seem the level of DCT trouble is less than it has been. This would seem be an indictment of Ford's resources and commitment though: new model launch problems are not uncommon, but it's almost unheard of for a company the size of Ford to be floundering with an issue like this for 2-3 years, all the while selling the car to legions of unsuspecting Beta testers.

So, to all of you DCT owners with real issues your dealer says are "normal", be aware that these two senior Ford executives may think otherwise."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304450904579366822245419790?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450904579366822245419790.html

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Took mine to the dealer this morning. The software re-flash performed last Nov. worked for a while, but this summer the trans behaved particularly poorly. The service rep called this afternoon to say that they were going to install the new clutch pack & seals, and that I should have the car back next week.

I wish there was more posted about the Adaptive Learning technology in these transmissions and what it senses and responds to. What is the risk to the powertrain if there was no Adaptive Learning? Excessive clutch pack wear? Do other commercial DCTs utilize a form of Adaptive Learning as well?
If you'd like me to look into this further, please let me know.

Meagan

·
Registered
53 Posts
This

Sooner or later, my time and most certainly (our peace of mind) is worth something to.

What kills me is any reasonable person could look at my vehicles history, speak with my local service mgr. and agree this is a bad egg. You'd think someone would simply say, "Hey, we get it and stand behind our product and nobody should ever have to go through all of this...especially with a new vehicle...let's get you in something without all these problems."

I've found Ford does not operate that way.
^^^ This

You're not alone. Take some solace in that.
http://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/william-f-b-o-reilly/carmaker-needs-to-stand-behind-its-products-william-f-b-o-reilly-1.7656303

Even tho i have had a for the most part trouble free (fingers crossed) experience with my 2012 focus.. i would never discount all the horror stories i've seen posted here. I have witnessed and experienced everything everyone has ever written at one point or another, just in the early stages of my car - almost all of which were fixed with the first cust serv. program 12B37 applied.

Ford is on my feces list for a few other things, primarily for selling me up on SYNC and the service being absolutely useless in Canada. A navigation system that used to accept waypoint and direction data from Google Maps directly. No longer. No vehicle health report. No applink apps. Nothing. Not what i was expecting from a next gen infotainment system.

That aside, i believe every single story i've seen written about this transmission, and while im a lucky one, i know my luck can turn around on a dime. It's also good to know my dealer very well and i don't think he'll slough me off if push comes to shove if i ever need to enact that extended warranty stuff regarding 14M01.

Time will tell.. but i know i don't recommend the Focus anymore and i tell them to do a google search on 'ford focus dsp transmission' and decide for themselves.

No matter what happens, i know the next car i buy will be the one that has Google functionality baked into the infotainment system. Google traffic data is far superior to Sirius TravelLink. Simply the option to send directions to car from my desktop is the killer app that will sell me on a vehicle. If Ford misses the boat on that.. too bad.

Now that im finished going off track.. i will wait a few years/wait until shudder becomes really bad before getting it checked out. Let them use up all their "D" revisions so i get "F" or better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took our 2012 with 81,000 miles in today for some 1-2 shift shuddering we've been experiencing. Expected to be blown off after diagnostics given that it wasn't "that bad", but deffinently noticeable, especially after driving for a while or doing any city driving with the wife and kid in tow. Additionally, I inspected the external seals and found no external leaking as many have reported - it was dry as could be.

Evidently they experienced significant (measurable) shuddering per the diagnostic requirements with Ford Engineering and authorized replacement of clutches, seals, etc. no questions asked. VERY happy Ford extended the warranty on this per 14M01 given that we were well out of powertrain warranty with the highway miles we put on.

I'll report back after we pick the car up on Monday (F series clutches are on back order, imagine that) [wrenchin] then again after I rack up some more miles on the new setup. Side note: dealership has 13, yes 13 Focus (Foci?) and Fiestas in for this repair right now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I gotta quit reading this thread. My 2014 has less than 1000 miles on it and I keep convincing myself I'm on borrowed time. Which serves no purpose, since there's nothing I can do about it and hopefully won't have to worry about it in any case.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So I thought I would post about my Recall. Took my SEL in and had it inspected. The dealer said that it exhibited leakage and they are replacing the seals. They said they will just clean the clutch. I asked if they would replace the clutch and the service tech said that it wasn't required. after reading through some of the posts and watching the videos I am now skeptical if the clutch should be replaced also.
Hi there!

I can loop in your customer service manager to look into this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. My inbox is down for maintenance at the moment, so if it doesn't go through (or there is no option to PM me), please try again tomorrow (Friday).

Meagan

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I gotta quit reading this thread. My 2014 has less than 1000 miles on it and I keep convincing myself I'm on borrowed time. Which serves no purpose, since there's nothing I can do about it and hopefully won't have to worry about it in any case.
Sure, I hear you, but don't worry about it. Most of the 2014s show no signs of trouble at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sure, I hear you, but don't worry about it. Most of the 2014s show no signs of trouble at all.
I appreciate the reassurance! Objectively, I know I'm being silly. This is my first new car and every used car I've owned (2 Fords and a Saturn) has been practically perfect. I hate the idea of a *new* car giving me more trouble than a *used* one.

Is it the entire transmission that's the trouble or just particular components? Are the revision D and F references to the entire tranny or just the clutch?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm with ya.. Mine doesn't shudder but occasionally makes the grinding/ marbles in blender sound.

Time will tell if this is the definitive fix. I hope I can put enough miles on it to test it out before the warranty extension ends.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the written extension notice..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I appreciate the reassurance! Objectively, I know I'm being silly. This is my first new car and every used car I've owned (2 Fords and a Saturn) has been practically perfect. I hate the idea of a *new* car giving me more trouble than a *used* one.

Is it the entire transmission that's the trouble or just particular components? Are the revision D and F references to the entire tranny or just the clutch?
I believe the revisions refer to the seals (2 of 'em), and the clutch assembly. D for the seals perhaps, which means F for the clutch set?

I also believe for the most part the transaxle itself (innards) doesn't have many problems. I think a few have been replaced, but I think that's after seals have leaked enough to let the gearbox fry.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts

Rev. D & F refer to clutch packs. "Entire Transmission" is seldom a problem.

Fixating on the "clutches" can & has resulted in other actual problems being missed or not even mentioned when a vehicle is brought in for service.

There's a list of potential problems for EVERY machine. Some are SURE to happen (time & wear based, like replacing tires/brakes) and others are more random - worth knowing about to recognize & deal with should they occur, but nothing you can plan on.

We've seen brake work done at 18,000 miles, and also folks worried then that went to 80,000 before actually needing it done.

The cars haven't been out long, so there aren't a LOT of high mileage reports. Even so, seeing '12 models ("the worst") go 100,000 without issue means problems aren't universal.

Prev. model SPI's ALWAYS drop valves between 70 & 150,000 - yet there are many reports at 180-200,000 without issue, and that's just ones we know about. That's a much better defined problem, yet there still isn't a definite recommendation to be made. Not repairing there before the problem shows might be pushing luck - but when should you do it?

I wouldn't want a MkIII for Taxi duty in NYC, but even there it might last longer than expected - ALL trannies (and the rest of the car) need replacement/repair in that environment of abuse.

Started to write a short note on not worrying unless you have a problem, and not betting on what problem (if any) you have. Ended up too long again.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Worrying won't do a thing, just be realistic about potential issues, etc. as you run out of any warranty (of which you have PLENTY) and make a call on whether that's a risk you're willing to take. We'll be getting rid of this Focus before the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty is up (which is less than a year if I keep driving the vehicle) and likely won't return to another Ford as I've just experienced too many issues and a huge lack of customer service (this experience with my DCT being repaired is the outlier, dealership and Ford have been great).

If it makes you feel better, I had a $9,700 repair on my previous 2011 VW Golf TDI which was less than 1 year old and only had 24,000 miles on it (as have numerous other's, NHTSA is currently investigating). The high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP) on the TDI's on the 2009 and newer TDI's have a habit of randomly imploding due to bad design or fuel contamination causing damage to numerous expensive parts. At least the DCT is only a fraction of that cost to work on if something goes wrong [driving]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry got a bit busy.

Better to rant here than when trying to get help from Ford.

There's obviously more to the story than what's been mentioned, if that's all the info. you've got when talking to Ford there's no doubt that they can't assist.

Bridges may have been burned at the Dealer you've used to date, seeing another when the problems are presenting themselves is the only option I see to try for some real help.

When you mention driving it for three days after it was at the Dealer before it did something you didn't like, there's an obvious (to me) reason to try & work with a Dealer so they can see & document the problem to be able to do something to help you.

Others have posted on how they were able to do this, I'm not going to try & repeat their advice.

Sympathy & advice to try & help is avail. here, but we can't handle it for you & neither can anyone else. Working with a Dealer to show them your problem is your responsibility. Any other avenues for satisfaction require even MORE investment of time & $ on your part, hard as it may be "chilling out" while dealing with them is the EASIEST route to get satisfaction.

Free advice, might not be worth more than you paid for it - but all I can offer.
If you think I am only ranting here you're drunk.

read my post, I have contacted customer service, I have posted to twitter, facebook, the email us link on fords customer service page, etc. I'm beyond the regional customer service rep, I'm now dealing with the CS Rep who handles the entire great lakes region. She was to return my call 2 weeks ago. No return call. 2 weeks.....24 hours promised......no call. I called CS again today (again, been busy and have not had time to sit on the phone for hours) I am supposed to get a return call.

The dealership experience has sucked.
The ownership experience has sucked.
The Customer Service Experience has sucked.

I think you should reach our to Meagan the ford customer rep here at this board and get your case escalated.
I'll give her a message, but I don't find it likely to change anything. My wife is a personal trainer who trained one of the lead dealership relations people at Ford who has since taken a new position in ford. She's been emailed, and I'm sure escalating through her isn't looking good for the others involved.

Thanks!

Send me a private message with your case number, if you have one, and I'll look into your cases to see if I'm able to assist further.

Thanks again!

Meagan
I can do that, but I'm not optimistic as your entire customer service organization has not been very helpful and I have spoken to jose, jose, wayne, James (forgot his last name but he is my regional customer service representative and he's a douchebag) and Rose Rogers who was supposed to authorize proper repairs and provide a loaner. She did not however call me back with the information needed as promised, so here I am again back to square one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Worrying won't do a thing, just be realistic about potential issues, etc. as you run out of any warranty (of which you have PLENTY) and make a call on whether that's a risk you're willing to take. We'll be getting rid of this Focus before the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty is up (which is less than a year if I keep driving the vehicle) and likely won't return to another Ford as I've just experienced too many issues and a huge lack of customer service (this experience with my DCT being repaired is the outlier, dealership and Ford have been great).
The build date on my Focus is "06.08.2014". I don't know if that's June 8 or August 6 (side rant: if everyone would use the international standard of yyyy-mm-dd, the world would be a better place) [idea]

FSA 14M01 originally came out on June 21st and that's the first mention of a rev.F and software update. If my car was made in June, I assume I wouldn't have either of those, correct? Of course, I'm hoping that date means August and that I have the latest and greatest!

Furthermore, I was told at purchase that my warranty only runs for 3 years or 36k miles (I didn't buy the extended warranty for $70/more per month). My car's manufacturing date (whichever it is) obviously doesn't fall within the extended warranty.

I'd really like to find out what I've currently got, just so I can keep an eye on relevant threads/posts. Do I have to take it in to find out or is there something I can look at on my car?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The build date on my Focus is "06.08.2014". I don't know if that's June 8 or August 6 (side rant: if everyone would use the international standard of yyyy-mm-dd, the world would be a better place) [idea]
The build date on your car is June 8, 2014.
Furthermore, I was told at purchase that my warranty only runs for 3 years or 36k miles (I didn't buy the extended warranty for $70/more per month). My car's manufacturing date (whichever it is) obviously doesn't fall within the extended warranty.
Your engine and transmission are covered by the factory powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
If your transmission exhibits any problem such as shudder, you can have the dealer run diagnostics on it to determine if it meets the criteria for clutch/seal replacement.

(The 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is the bumper to bumper warranty.)

For those of you who have a build date that is included under 14M01 (built before June 15, 2013) please remember,
The 14M01 warranty extension program doesn't even kick in until your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty expires

Thanks for the info! There was definitely no mention of 5/60k when they were trying to sell me on the extended warranty
Why does it not surprise me that yet another dishonest car dealer would lead you to believe you only had a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on your transmission so they could sell you an aftermarket warranty?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The build date on your car is June 8, 2014.
A little after my last post, I stopped by my car and was shuffling through the paperwork in the glovebox when I found a "build sheet" (or something similar, it was 45 minutes ago and I've already forgotten the title) that notes a "Prod date" of 8/5/2014. So I'm thinking the build date is actually August 6th.

Your engine and transmission are covered by the factory powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
If your transmission exhibits any problem such as shudder, you can have the dealer run diagnostics on it to determine if it meets the criteria for clutch/seal replacement.

(The 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is the bumper to bumper warranty.)

For those of you who have a build date that is included under 14M01 (between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013) please remember,
The 14M01 warranty extension program doesn't even kick in until your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty expires
Thanks for the info! There was definitely no mention of 5/60k when they were trying to sell me on the extended warranty, just the 3/36k. Yeah, I probably should have known what the warranty coverage was before I bought...but hey, now it's a pleasant surprise [:)]

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

The transmission is the main problem of this car. The rest is the usual (failure can happen to any parts, you never know, like when you buy something at the store...)... and it refer to the clutch pack (clutches, seals).

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Sorry got a bit busy.

If you think I am only ranting here you're drunk.

read my post, I have contacted customer service, I have posted to twitter, facebook, the email us link on fords customer service page, etc. I'm beyond the regional customer service rep, I'm now dealing with the CS Rep who handles the entire great lakes region. She was to return my call 2 weeks ago. No return call. 2 weeks.....24 hours promised......no call. I called CS again today (again, been busy and have not had time to sit on the phone for hours) I am supposed to get a return call.

The dealership experience has sucked.
The ownership experience has sucked.
The Customer Service Experience has sucked.

I'll give her a message, but I don't find it likely to change anything. My wife is a personal trainer who trained one of the lead dealership relations people at Ford who has since taken a new position in ford. She's been emailed, and I'm sure escalating through her isn't looking good for the others involved.

I can do that, but I'm not optimistic as your entire customer service organization has not been very helpful and I have spoken to jose, jose, wayne, James (forgot his last name but he is my regional customer service representative and he's a douchebag) and Rose who was supposed to authorize proper repairs and provide a loaner. She did not however call me back with the information needed as promised, so here I am again back to square one.
I understand your frustrations. I'm looking into your case now with the numbers you've provided me, and I'll also touch base with my Twitter and Facebook coworkers. You've already been escalated to my highest point of contact, and had a supervisor in touch with you.

I'll reply to your message once I take a look.

Meagan

181 - 200 of 2223 Posts