Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I’ve got a 2013 Hatch (built Nov 2012) with 60K miles on it. Last time I had an oil change from a local shop the tech said that I had a couple of leaks. He thought that the main seal and the transmission had small leaks. At some point I’m going to take the car in to get the latch and fuel tank recalls addressed. My question is whether I should pressure them to fix the transmission seals. The car has driven amazingly well since day 1 - and yes I drive it like I stole it. I would hate to take it in for a repair that in itself messes up a transmission that works perfectly well. Then again I would hate to miss the 14M01 deadline and then have to pay to get the seals fixed.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
494 Posts
If your transmission seals are leaking, that is part of the 14M01 repair. I have had 3 clutch replacements and on one of them once they got into it, they said the rear main seal was also leaking but that was not covered. So, it was $200 out of my pocket to get that done even though it should have been a very easy job to do with the transmission already out. So, I bit the bullet and had them replace it as it would have been a lot more money otherwise.

At the least, I would have them evaluate it for the 14M01 work. I'm assuming your mechanic saw fluid leaking at the bell housing so tell them that and that this is likely from leaking transmission seals. At some point, this will contaminate your clutch and it will start to slip. That part of the transmission is supposed to be totally dry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts