Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my speedometer goes to 140mph I know from owning a focus before that the speed limiter stops at 110mph. So I'm wanting to make it a track car, what upgrades would I need to get it to top out at 140mph. I don't want to turbo it right now, but would the basics air intake, mustang throttle body, ecu, exhaust system and headers, get me enough power to possibly get me close?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Racing Chat

There are a couple places you could go for top speed, like Bonneville or GRM top speed challenge, so I won't just delete this right now (speed info. for the street isn't allowed).

Top speed challenge cars need a LOT of HP because the distance avail. to get up to speed is limited. Even in a more open space like Bonny it takes a LOT to increase the top end, relatively small mods. just won't do it.

The only numbers I've seen are estimates from gearing & RPM while on a track like Daytona where you come out of the infield section & have a long banked track section to work with ( and that was for a duratec car). I'd guess 10 short of your goal after mods. for a rough estimate, maybe up to 15 - prob. fall in that range.

·
Registered
624 Posts
the main things you will need to achieve the 140 on your speedometer are a tune to remove the governor (or raise it beyond the 140) and tires equipped to handle those speeds.

One of my cars has a 150 mph speedometer and has been topped out once or twice (in Mexico) but it came equipped with z-rated eagle F1 tires from the factory so they were up to the task. Anything which is not rated for those speeds has the potential to come apart and that would be bad

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, I was just checking because I am building it as a rally car I just didn't want to get started and not do it the right way. I've seen too many people who do it, but its not for street its gonna be a track car. I'm not running it to 140 rally racing, I was just wondering how possible it really was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks everyone, I was just checking because I am building it as a rally car I just didn't want to get started and not do it the right way. I've seen too many people who do it, but its not for street its gonna be a track car.
Just an FYI - rally cars - even those used in stage rally - have to be street licensed and insured... I think most clubs will let you rallycross without license plates, though.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
hypothetically i got my car up to 140mph in mexico once. had full bolt ons, tuned, governor removed. it took AWHILE. im thinking about a 5 mile run up at least. you would need some pretty serious power to get up to that speed quickly enough to use it on any track. i would say 250whp-300whp would be enough to peg the speedo in half a mile or so. that would be a distance that would be attainable on a race track. you might be able to do it with less power, im just guessing. if you arent ready for forced induction you will need to consider some hardcore head work you get your power up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts