Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm somewhat annoyed. Since I drove my '14 SE 5-speed off the lot @ 8 miles on the odo, my transmission will rattle when stopped, in neutral, and I'm not on the clutch.

It's subtle at times, but it's there. When stopped, (road noise blocks it out if driving), if I push the clutch in, the rattling stops. As soon as I let out the clutch again, the rattling continues. I chocked it up to being a new car and figured parts needed some good use to settle. 3000 miles later - nope - rattle got louder.

I took it to Ford on Monday, and just got it back this evening on Wednesday. They said it was a failed throwout bearing, and that it was replaced (under warranty, of course.). However, upon driving 26 miles back home, and opening my door in a quiet parking lot, the effing thing hasn't changed. chickachickachickachicka. rattle.

I've read many a thread saying that the ST's 6-speed has a natural "noisiness" to it, including a rattle at idle, and not to worry, but considering I don't have an ST nor the ST's 6-speed (which I believe is made by a different manufacturer, do correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think those should apply to me and my car.

I've also read many a thread saying it was the throwout bearing and that's also what the Ford Service guy said, and to get it replaced, which is what I have done, yet it still does the same thing.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine, but if I'm spending this much money on a new car, I don't want it to be rattling like my transmission is gonna die soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any TSB's or other similar situations. I would like some second opinions before I take it back to Ford and make someone else listen to me push a pedal a few times. Clearly it isn't the throwout bearing, or is it really just that loud and rattly of a car?

I can try and put a YouTube video of the noise up later, if that'll be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Frustrated

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I took it to Ford on Monday, and just got it back this evening on Wednesday. They said it was a failed throwout bearing, and that it was replaced (under warranty, of course.). However, upon driving 26 miles back home, and opening my door in a quiet parking lot, the effing thing hasn't changed. chickachickachickachicka. rattle.

I've read many a thread saying that the ST's 6-speed has a natural "noisiness" to it, including a rattle at idle, and not to worry, but considering I don't have an ST nor the ST's 6-speed (which I believe is made by a different manufacturer, do correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think those should apply to me and my car.

I've also read many a thread saying it was the throwout bearing and that's also what the Ford Service guy said, and to get it replaced, which is what I have done, yet it still does the same thing.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine
The service advisor you talked to has no experience at all with the MTX-75 if he replaced your throwout bearing on your brand new car.

If it rattles with the car in neutral and the clutch not depressed, it's normal.

The noise you are hearing is perfectly normal for the MTX-75 manual transmission. It is called gear lash rattle. It will be more noticeable when the car is fully warmed up and it is hot outside.

What this tells me is that dealership sells so few MK3s with a 5 speed manual transmission they are not even familiar with the characteristics of the MTX-75. Here is a detailed explanation of what causes gear lash rattle:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

·
Registered
151 Posts
In fact, if it IS a throwout bearing, OP, you should be able to quiet it as you start to release the clutch. That is, the buzz is directly related to pressure of the clutch plate. Less pressure, less noise...more pressure, more noise.
If it has nothing to do with the application or release of pressure, it's not your culprit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise you are hearing is perfectly normal for the MTX-75 manual transmission. It is called gear lash rattle. It will be more noticeable when the car is fully warmed up and it is hot outside.

What this tells me is that dealership sells so few MK3s with a 5 speed manual transmission they are not even familiar with the characteristics of the MTX-75.
Thanks! Makes me feel better.

You're very right about them not selling many 5-spd MK3's... There were only two on the lot, one very used S model and a new SE, the one I bought.

I should have searched more on the forum, as "MTX-75 rattle" brings up many results, including others you've replied on showing the majority saying it's normal. Bad on my end!

Side-note: the rental they gave me while mine was getting a new throwout bearing was a '14 hatch with the PowerShift... and wow, are those things awful. I mean, I know why, and it's just being a DCT, but the fact they would let something so rough-running be sold in thousands of these cars is astounding.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/539762-do-you-all-have-manual-rattle.html

As for the numbers of manuals vs. DCT, as of '12 7% of Focus' were manuals.

Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-focus-se-manual-hatchback-test-review

Ford’s latest estimates say 93 percent of Focus buyers will opt for the PowerShift; we say that’s a lot of people who should learn to drive a stick...
It is a nice article to read, the headline is:

2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Manual
It's been a long time since we've driven a small car this sweet.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Alright, I'm somewhat annoyed. Since I drove my '14 SE 5-speed off the lot @ 8 miles on the odo, my transmission will rattle when stopped, in neutral, and I'm not on the clutch.

It's subtle at times, but it's there. When stopped, (road noise blocks it out if driving), if I push the clutch in, the rattling stops. As soon as I let out the clutch again, the rattling continues. I chocked it up to being a new car and figured parts needed some good use to settle. 3000 miles later - nope - rattle got louder.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine, but if I'm spending this much money on a new car, I don't want it to be rattling like my transmission is gonna die soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any TSB's or other similar situations. I would like some second opinions before I take it back to Ford and make someone else listen to me push a pedal a few times. Clearly it isn't the throwout bearing, or is it really just that loud and rattly of a car?

I can try and put a YouTube video of the noise up later, if that'll be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Frustrated
Gear rollover do a search on this forum...

This is at least 10th thread about MTX neutral noise....

it's been like that since 1992

1 - 7 of 7 Posts