Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '13 SE in July 2013. My first Ford.

Had the first oil change done at 6,600 miles (it was a freebie from the dealer for purchasing the car there).

The sticker they put in the window said the next oil change was due at 16,660 miles. Scratched my head at that but remembered the conversation with my service rep the day before - that Ford said every 10k for oil changes with the new synthetic stuff.

Took it in for the second oil change last month (around 16,500 miles). Immediately noticed it was louder in the cabin than before and figured it was related to the tires being rotated and that it would work itself out over a few hundred miles.

She now has 18,000 miles and the noise is louder and more irritating. Thought perhaps it was a bearing or something so took her in on Monday.

My service rep said that it was tire cupping caused by not being rotated. That they didn't do it on the first oil change ("Sorry, I missed that") and that my second oil change should have been done at 12k-ish miles not at 16,600 ("I don't know how or why they put +10k on the sticker instead of +6k!") He then asked me when/where I got the tires and was surprised when I said that they came with the car that I purchased brand new from his dealer.

He said that by the time I get my next oil change/tire rotation (in 6k to 7.5k miles!) that the sound should be better and work itself out. But didn't offer any other options.

So now I'm left with cupped tires, loud cabin noise and worried about possible future long term damage to the car.

Very not happy with Ford right now and concerned about my safety.

Hoping for some input and advice about how serious this could be and if I have any recourse with the dealer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Farmergal, CHECK you wheel bearings at another dealer!!!. It is a known issue. I had the same thing that sounded like a jet engine roaring progressively louder as I drove. I have 25k on my car and the tread life is only 50 percent left. I was going to spend 800 bucks on tires but It went into the stealership for tranny issues. I just received it back last night and they replaced the wheel bearing and no more noise!!!! Post this in MK3 and ask one of the Ford reps to help. It is the only way to make sure some dealers do their job!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wheel bearings are worth checking, but so is alignment & tire pressure - more likely causes for the cupping (Not TP individually BTW).

LONG service intervals are great for saving on expenses, but keeping an eye on wear/condition now needs to be done by the owner since no-one else sees the car. First sign of trouble & get it checked out, just to avoid problems like these tires that will never be "fine" again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Once the tires are cupped the noise will be there for the remaining life of the tire unfortunately!, once the rears are moved to the front it will become even noisier! ask me how i know....

Get an alignment check or actual alignment done as the rear suspension is most likely the culprit in your case. Then consider having the tires that are cupped replaced to eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Once the tires are cupped the noise will be there for the remaining life of the tire unfortunately!
I posted this in the other thread, but if your tires aren't asymmetric, you could get the tires removed from the rims and swap them inside to outside so that the irregular wear is on the outside edge. That will make them quieter for the time being. But if you're going to spend $100 on tire mounting, you might just want to buy new tires...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I posted this in the other thread, but if your tires aren't asymmetric, you could get the tires removed from the rims and swap them inside to outside so that the irregular wear is on the outside edge. That will make them quieter for the time being. But if you're going to spend $100 on tire mounting, you might just want to buy new tires...
I did that with mine and swapped them to the front, it did almost eliminate the noise for a while but as they wore down the oscillating rumble noise started coming back as more pressure was being applied to the cupping damage. In my case the tires were nearing the end of their service life and it was time to get new tires!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts