Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

I'm looking to replace my factory radio with an aftermarket setup. My original stereo started making static noises, even when the car was off. So, out it comes.

I'm looking at getting a navigation receiver with SiriusXM and a back up camera from crutchfield.

The only issue that I foresee right now. Is I don't know where I can find a reverse signal wire for the back up camera. Any place I should start looking? My Focus has a 5-Speed manual if that makes a difference.

Any receiver suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Lord Snax

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most of those kits come with a wire on the backup camera harness which is intended to be connected to the positive wire at the rear lamp fixture., so that it gets +12V when the reverse lights are on. It's effective enough. Get the kit, and the instructions will probably give you more than enough information.

Otherwise, there aren't too many electrical connections to a manual transmission. You will have the reverse switch, possibly a neutral switch, and possibly an output speed sensor. I believe that there is no neutral switch on these, and that start interlock uses a clutch pedal switch instead.

Static noises when the radio is off can often be a symptom of a speaker wire shorted to ground. Almost all car stereos use bridge-tied load mode for speaker output, so neither side of the connection should be grounded, and doing so can cause effects in ALL of the speakers, not just the one with the wiring fault. if the problem is intermittent, this can be a lot of trouble to diagnose and track down, but this should be your first step, before you put in another radio and have it repeat the same problem, or worse, damage the new unit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of those kits come with a wire on the backup camera harness which is intended to be connected to the positive wire at the rear lamp fixture., so that it gets +12V when the reverse lights are on. It's effective enough. Get the kit, and the instructions will probably give you more than enough information.

Otherwise, there aren't too many electrical connections to a manual transmission. You will have the reverse switch, possibly a neutral switch, and possibly an output speed sensor. I believe that there is no neutral switch on these, and that start interlock uses a clutch pedal switch instead.

Static noises when the radio is off can often be a symptom of a speaker wire shorted to ground. Almost all car stereos use bridge-tied load mode for speaker output, so neither side of the connection should be grounded, and doing so can cause effects in ALL of the speakers, not just the one with the wiring fault. if the problem is intermittent, this can be a lot of trouble to diagnose and track down, but this should be your first step, before you put in another radio and have it repeat the same problem, or worse, damage the new unit.
Thanks for the info.

I already diagnosed the static noise to be the old stereo. I purchased a used factory radio off of eBay and the static noise went away, but I had no volume control or hands free calling. However, the issue with the radio cutting out and not coming back until a key cycle is still present. Which is what I’m getting tired of.

And to my knowledge. The manual transmissions on Focuses that have keyless start are the only ones that have a neutral sensor as they have an auto restart option if you stall out the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@SupraGuy,

Just thinking. I have a bunch of speaker wire laying around. I’ll just re-wire all the speakers. The tweeters on the doors are just wired in overlay, correct? (If I named it right) Meaning they just tap off of the speaker at the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know for sure, since I have little experience with the Focus specifically. Mine is also the 10 speaker version, and I haven't even popped a speaker grille yet, though that might be in the cards, the sound isn't nearly as clear as I'd like. (I've seen a few references to it getting better with the centre speaker disconnected, I might try that....)

With the 10 speaker system, I understand that there's a DSP and amplifier in the back of the car, and it was my impression from the aftermarket DSP kit from Crutchfield that the tweeters are wired separately right from the amplifier. I haven't looked at all at the 6 speaker setup, and assume that the 4 speaker setup doesn't have separate tweeters.

I have seen that there are some nice install kits now available.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know for sure, since I have little experience with the Focus specifically. Mine is also the 10 speaker version, and I haven't even popped a speaker grille yet, though that might be in the cards, the sound isn't nearly as clear as I'd like. (I've seen a few references to it getting better with the centre speaker disconnected, I might try that....)

With the 10 speaker system, I understand that there's a DSP and amplifier in the back of the car, and it was my impression from the aftermarket DSP kit from Crutchfield that the tweeters are wired separately right from the amplifier. I haven't looked at all at the 6 speaker setup, and assume that the 4 speaker setup doesn't have separate tweeters.

I have seen that there are some nice install kits now available.
I have the 6 speaker setup. 2 tweeters upfront and 4 speakers, one on each door.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something was tickling at the back of my head... Have you seen this thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/358625-crackling-radio-problem-my-2012-sel.html

Sounds like this may be a problem that others have had. I haven't read far enough to see what the problem actually is, though.
I have read that thread once already. Its the same issue I am having with my factory radio. So I'm installing an aftermarket radio to avoid running into similar problems with replacement factory radios.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts