Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good wire to tap into that remains on during cranking? I'm trying to hook up a boost gauge and the MAP sensor needs to have a 12 volt constant but I want it to only turn on when the engine is on. I plan on running a relay.

Thanks,
Zach

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
That is a good question. Maybe the PATS system.... (Which probably is not the best to tap into.)
or wild idea....

run it off the fuel pump electical supply.

(I'm not a master....and these are probably terrible ideas....I'm just thinking of things that run while the car is cranking.)

·
Registered
759 Posts
try the yellow wire going into your stereo.. it has to always be on.. period or the red one which only comes on during cranking... you could always wire a switched wire straight to the battery..

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I want it to come on when the key is turned on and continues to stay on when the engine is being cranked. Most of the accessories are turned off during cranking.

And it can't be a constant on

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys I think I found the answer after extensive searching. (Search results...meh)

At the ignition I'm going to have the green/yellow wire switch the relay. That way I don't have to worry about overloading the factory wiring system. I'm also going to have the headlamp switch turn on a second relay that will power the light bulbs for the gauges. I ordered a dual relay connection to make it look more factory like and plan on installing those around the battery box. It will definitely be an ultra clean install when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
259 Posts
it will be easy! just make sure your fusing your connections. i would go into parking lights rather than headlights for the interior lighting on your gauges. that wire is orange/yellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts