Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to adjust the 12 volt outlets so that the power to them shuts off when the engine is shut down ? I do not want to have to remember to always turn off NY appliances.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Why wouldn't they shut off? They don't shut off immediately when you remove the key, but they do shut off, otherwise they would be sapping battery life...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Its not going to drain your battery. Unless you're running a power inverter with your home office running on it without the engine (alternator) running.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Its not going to drain your battery. Unless you're running a power inverter with your home office running on it without the engine (alternator) running.
Posted via FF Mobile
Regardless, the accessory power doesn't stay on. It does only until you open the doors and get out of the car. Why would the 12v outlets be on the constant?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think my aux power stays on also. My GPS stays on and I have not tried to wait until it self powers down to verify that it loses power.

Bill

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
This following is taken from the service manual. The power control for both 12V outlets is the same as the demand lamps.

The BCM provides automatic shut-off of the courtesy and demand lamps after a time-out period when the ignition is OFF. A timer in the BCM starts when:
• the ignition changes to OFF,
• any door or liftgate/luggage compartment lid becomes ajar,
• an UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed,
• a door is unlocked using a key, or
• the door lock switch is pressed.

When 10 minutes (30 minutes for demand lamps) have elapsed, the BCM automatically shuts off voltage to the lamps. The timer restarts (voltage is restored if the BCM is in battery saver mode) if:
• the ignition changes out of OFF,
• any door or liftgate/luggage compartment lid becomes ajar,
• the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed,
• a door is unlocked using a key, or
• the door lock switch is pressed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks everyone. In my Hondas everything shuts down when the car shuts off. I tested the Focus and the 12 volt outlets remain on for at least 5 min. I will do a longer test to see what happens.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I my 2004 I can charge my phone with the car off, Never caused any issues.

·
Registered
781 Posts
common misconception (and frequently posted...) the usb and 12v ports only stay on for about 10 minutes after you exit the vehicle. if you're looking to join the DBC you'll have to find another way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can confirm without any doubt that the power outlet stays hot for some time after the car is locked and then switches itself off. (30 minutes later)
Did the experiment tonight with a garmin navigator.
Once the key fob is pressed to unlock doors power is restored.

·
Registered
1 Posts
in my owners manual

my owners manual says on page 161 about auxiliary power points says below.... is this not the same as the 12V port? according to this, it stays on.. [:(] guessing there's no way to change this?

Note: If used when the engine is not running, the battery will discharge.
There may be insufficient power to restart your engine.
Note: Do not insert objects other than an accessory plug into the power
point. This will damage the outlet and blow the fuse.
Note: Do not hang any type of accessory or accessory bracket from the
plug.
Note: Do not use the power point over the vehicle capacity of 12 volts
DC 180 watts or a fuse may blow.
Note: Do not use the power point for operating a cigarette lighter
element.
Note: Improper use of the power point can cause damage not covered
by your warranty.
Note: Always keep the power point caps closed when not in use.
Run the engine for full capacity use of the power point. To prevent the
battery from being discharged:
• Do not use the power point longer than necessary when the engine is
not running.
• Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when the vehicle is
parked for extended periods.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is there any way to adjust the 12 volt outlets so that the power to them shuts off when the engine is shut down ? I do not want to have to remember to always turn off NY appliances.
You can tap power from fuse 86 (Passenger's side under the glove Box) or fuse 41 (engine room fuse box).

This Fuse have:
Ignition on -> Power on
Ignition off -> Power off.

Fuse 41 (engine room fuse box)

Fuse 86 (Passenger side under the glove Box)

EDIT
Fuse 86 (Passenger side under the glove Box) is correct

1 - 12 of 12 Posts