Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this since I bought the car 4 months ago. When in reverse with the wheel turned all the way to the left there was is a clunking noise coming from the driver side front area. I checked the CV axle as that is a normal sign of a bad CV axle but it was perfectly fine, no leaks tears or looseness. This is the dct with 58000 miles on it

Yesterday I took it to the dealer for a new clutch swap because it had the normal shudder that these focus' have. So I get the call that its done and to come pick it up. Upon pickup I ask to speak with the mechanic who did the clutch job to see if he noticed any thing odd that would help me figure this clunking noise out. The mechanic had already left so I explained what I was experiencing to the parts division customer service rep and he told me that it is coming from the transmission and usually starts when the clutch shudder problem first happens. He told me thats all he knew and couldn't explain in detail what the actual problem was. He did say that with the new clutch the clunk should either be completely gone or be very faint. So far the new clutch is doing great, shudder is gone and the 2 to 3 shift feels amazing now ( used to have 257 rpm of shudder and now down to 74 rpm). The clunk noise is still there and still just as loud as it was before. [rolleyes]

So I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, I'm 99% sure its not the CV axle as it only does it in reverse and I'm also 100% confused from what the tech told me at the dealer! Lol

Car info:

2012 sel sedan, 57879 miles

-DCT trans
-CV axle is tight with no leaks or tears in the boot
-Sway bar end link rubber seems a little worn
-Ball joint looks fine with no tears
- strut seems fine with no squeek

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have noticed this since I bought the car 4 months ago. When in reverse with the wheel turned all the way to the left there was is a clunking noise coming from the driver side front area...

...He did say that with the new clutch the clunk should either be completely gone or be very faint. So far the new clutch is doing great, shudder is gone and the 2 to 3 shift feels amazing now ( used to have 257 rpm of shudder and now down to 74 rpm). The clunk noise is still there and still just as loud as it was before. [rolleyes] ...

Car info:

2012 sel sedan, 57879 miles

-DCT trans
-CV axle is tight with no leaks or tears in the boot
-Sway bar end link rubber seems a little worn
-Ball joint looks fine with no tears
- strut seems fine with no squeek
I'm glad to hear the repair went well and the shudder's gone. :D As far as your clunking noise, I recommend setting up an appointment with the dealer and doing a ride along with the tech to demonstrate it for diagnosis. Once you have the appointment set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check into some additional assistance.

Meagan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts