Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would share my detailing session from last weekend on here for you guys.

About a year or so ago now, started getting REALLY into detailing, joined a great forum, and learned(and am still learning) a LOT of great info.

Since then, i have steered away from just about any OTC products, and started using higher quality polishes, cleaners, and sealants(who uses wax anymore?)

Anyway, here are some brief descriptions, and a TON of pictures. Enjoy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got around to doing a detail on my car. After it was returned to me from the body shop earlier this year, it came back riddled with swirls from whoever(improperly) washed it..

Went with HD UNO and POXY, claymagic blue clay, and did everything by HAND. For next years detailing, im buying a DA.. Haven't had the extra cash to throw into a DA as of late, but next year, im not going at it by hand again.. WAY to much work.

My Poxy, UNO, and HD's hand applicators:

(iphone pic fail..) Getting a good bath:

Removed wheels and cleaned and dressed fenderwells suspension, calipers, re-sealed my rims with meguiars #20

Drivers front before:

Drivers front after:

Passenger after(no before pic, sorry..)

Passenger rear before:

passenger rear after:

Driver rear before:

and after:

Some before shots:

Claybar...

Breaking into pieces..

Not to bad, i keep my car VERY clean:

Lets see what we've got here.. A few before shots:

Polished with UNO and their hand applicator:

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
OMG. By hand! I did my S40 by hand and that was a PITA! Definitely buy a PC... Looks good though.

12 hours isn't really all that long TBH. I assume you mean 12 hours in one day which is horrific, BUT if you divide it up 6 hours a day for 2 days it ain't bad. Tomorrow I must pull an 8-10 hour detail on my Fusion because I won't have another chance until next weekend. [?|]

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
wow thats a lot of work and some dedication right there.

Looks great extremely clean, and a job well done [thumb]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG. By hand! I did my S40 by hand and that was a PITA! Definitely buy a PC... Looks good though.

12 hours isn't really all that long TBH. I assume you mean 12 hours in one day which is horrific, BUT if you divide it up 6 hours a day for 2 days it ain't bad. Tomorrow I must pull an 8-10 hour detail on my Fusion because I won't have another chance until next weekend. [?|]
Did the wheel wells and wheels one day, the paint and rest of the exterior the next. All in all, about a 10 hour day, all in one shot.

Next year ill be getting a DA, and the pads to go with it. Not going to do it by hand anymore.. Just too time consuming.

wow thats a lot of work and some dedication right there.

Looks great extremely clean, and a job well done [thumb]
Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got the same stupid problem with my Focus.. Those swirl marks.. Can you PLEASE tell me how you got rid of them? I also use elbow grease and Clay > Sealant > Glaze > Wax all by hand. But the swirl marks are still there I assume I need a good polish but can you refer me to some?

Thanks!!!!

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I got the same stupid problem with my Focus.. Those swirl marks.. Can you PLEASE tell me how you got rid of them? I also use elbow grease and Clay > Sealant > Glaze > Wax all by hand. But the swirl marks are still there I assume I need a good polish but can you refer me to some?

Thanks!!!!
Depending on how bad it is...

If it's pretty bad:
OTC products you can get at Target:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound/dp/B001O7PNNM

Then use this after the compound:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G192..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315101002&sr=1-1

If it's not bad you can use just the Ultimate Polish.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks!!!!
Depending on how bad it is...

If it's pretty bad:
OTC products you can get at Target:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound/dp/B001O7PNNM

Then use this after the compound:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G192..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315101002&sr=1-1

If it's not bad you can use just the Ultimate Polish.
Ive used the UC before, and still have about a 1/2 bottle left. It is a great product, pretty much the "in-between" from m105 to m205. Ultimate compound is actually great in removing swirls, and not leaving any marring behind from the abrasives.

I used the UC last year to remove some swirls, and while it works great, it took a LOT more effort than using the HD UNO.

On my car, i went with HD Uno for the polish, and i bought two of their DUO exterior applicators. One side is specifically designed to work with UNO, the other side for Poxy.

The orange side of the pad is nice and stiff, and has a mild cutting capability, similar to an orange foam pad that you would use with a DA or rotary.

http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Uno-9-Oz..html

Thats the polish i used this time around. If used by machine, depending on what pad you use, it can either polish 1200 grit wet sanding marks out, or use a non-cutting pad, like a red applicator, and you can jewel the paint for a finishing step before applying an LSP(last step protectant), such as the Poxy or any wax/sealer.

I honestly would highly recommend investing into a dual action polisher(machine) and some good pads. Griots has a 6 inch DA for about 125 bucks that has been rated higher than some of the $2-300 dual actions out there, like the porter cable and flex machines.

Removing swirls by hand is VERY time consuming, but you can get about 80-90% of swirls out. There will be some swirls and rids(random, isolated, deep scratches) that you just wont be able to remove by hand.

·
Registered
397 Posts
amazing job for no DA being used! I hope I can get my svtf and cobra looking that polished with my pc 7424 xp.

I've got hooked on high end detail too. I dont even want to think about how much I've spent on products in the last 2-3 months.

pc 7424 xp
hydro tech pads
more micro fiber towels than I could use in a week of detailing my 3 cars
full lineup of wolfgang products
collonite 845 for the svtf
wolfgang fuzion estate wax on top of wolfgang sealant for the cobra

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amazing job for no DA being used! I hope I can get my svtf and cobra looking that polished with my pc 7424 xp.

I've got hooked on high end detail too. I dont even want to think about how much I've spent on products in the last 2-3 months.

pc 7424 xp
hydro tech pads
more micro fiber towels than I could use in a week of detailing my 3 cars
full lineup of wolfgang products
collonite 845 for the svtf
wolfgang fuzion estate wax on top of wolfgang sealant for the cobra
Yea, its not exactly a cheap "hobby"

I really dont see it as a hobby though, just another part of car care..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yea, its not exactly a cheap "hobby"

I really dont see it as a hobby though, just another part of car care..
no doubt! gotta make them look as well as they perform! I recently did a rehab on my svtf headlights. several friends thought I was crazy for spending half a day and $50 on products to restore them. They understood more once I was done and they saw how gret they looked and will understand even more once I spend a weekend with the DA on the paint.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no doubt! gotta make them look as well as they perform! I recently did a rehab on my svtf headlights. several friends thought I was crazy for spending half a day and $50 on products to restore them. They understood more once I was done and they saw how gret they looked and will understand even more once I spend a weekend with the DA on the paint.
Yep, definitely time consuming and expensive, but, when its all said and done, driving a car with a flawless paint job is worth all of the work.

The color combo of my car, plus how clean i keep it definitely gets a lot of looks going down the road. Not fast by any means, but it'll turn a head or two.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey,

Thanks Lyons and Matt. I'm scared to use a compound on my car, I think it'll be a little too harsh for the type of job I have. I'll go buy that Ultimate Polish and take it from there and if it doesn't remove everything then I'll go with the ultimate compound. I've never really used a compound and I'm scared it'll start stripping clear coat.

haha yeah, when you go out with a clean car I don't even use my mirrors I can just my doors cause they're just as reflective as my mirrors.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I used the ultimate compound on my '06 Fusion yesterday. Clear is just fine. Took 80% of defects out in one pass with the buffer. I'd go with e Ultimate Compound. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used the ultimate compound on my '06 Fusion yesterday. Clear is just fine. Took 80% of defects out in one pass with the buffer. I'd go with e Ultimate Compound. You'll be fine.
Alright perfect man, thanks.

Tell me something, I've already clayed>sealed & glazed>Waxed will the Compound strip all of those away? (except the clay lol)

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey,

Thanks Lyons and Matt. I'm scared to use a compound on my car, I think it'll be a little too harsh for the type of job I have. I'll go buy that Ultimate Polish and take it from there and if it doesn't remove everything then I'll go with the ultimate compound. I've never really used a compound and I'm scared it'll start stripping clear coat.

haha yeah, when you go out with a clean car I don't even use my mirrors I can just my doors cause they're just as reflective as my mirrors.
Ultimate compound wont mar the paint, as long as you use it correctly. It will finish to a perfect finish without leaving behind any marks from abrasives.

Starting with the ultimate polish is a good idea though, as you technically want to start with the least abrasive product first.

Also, keep in mind, that the ultimate polish and compound both have fillers in them, meaning that while it will remove some defects, it will fill other deeper ones in, making it look like you removed the swirls and or scratches, when all you really did is fill it in.

Id recommend that after you use either the compound or polish, you wipe the surface with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and a clean, plush microfiber. That will remove any of the fillers and let you see what you still need to polish and work with.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I did not know that those products contained fillers. Interesting.

Yeah, so it's sorta like a Sealer & Glaze. It's basically make up for the paint but the make up I put doesn't solve my swirl marks so even though I buy the ultimate polish and it goes away after a bit I don't mind reapplying it .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts