Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car only came with 2 top screws for the rear plate, today I was looking for 2 screws for the bottom except there are 2 rubber coverings with a hole that wouldn't fit your normal screw. Im not even sure a screw is supposed to go in there.

Is there some sort of cap that goes there or am I supposed to remove the 2 rubber coverings on the bottom?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
These cars are kinda new so many people don't know what you're on about. Posting a picture would be helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess that's how you save money on two screws? :) I just used those rubber pieces as pegs as they perfectly fit in the holes on the license plate.. it's not going anywhere and I guess it keeps the plate standing off a little.. I don't see a need for screws.. I don't even notice it any more :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Those rubber plugs are supposed to be there. The bottom holes of your licence plate sit on them perfectly.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
The rubber nub keeps a bit of pressure on it and separates the plate from the car body panel so it doesn't vibrate and rattle

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am having a bit of a problem with the rear plate.
The plate, has warped and will not sit flush with the holes. It also got in the field of vision of the backup camera.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am having a bit of a problem with the rear plate.
The plate, has warped and will not sit flush with the holes. It also got in the field of vision of the backup camera.
What?? It would have to be bent 180 degrees to obstruct the view of the camera. The camera is *ABOVE* the plate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What?? It would have to be bent 180 degrees to obstruct the view of the camera. The camera is *ABOVE* the plate.
Or... It was mounted using the bottom of the plate
where the top should be.

Never underestimate the human ability to do something differently than what was intended.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My car only came with 2 top screws for the rear plate, today I was looking for 2 screws for the bottom except there are 2 rubber coverings with a hole that wouldn't fit your normal screw. Im not even sure a screw is supposed to go in there.

Is there some sort of cap that goes there or am I supposed to remove the 2 rubber coverings on the bottom?
It's not a big deal. However, you can pull the rubber plugs and replace them with the license plate nuts from any auto parts store and use screws to hold the bottom of the plate. I did this with my Fiesta. I've not bothered doing it with the Focus.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Part of the plate is visible. Apparently it has to do with the poor quality of the plate itself. I am going to try reenforcing the plate with gaffers tape.
I live in MD and EVERY plate they stamp is warped. I feel your pain. Mine doesn't stay on the rubber pegs either.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I live in MD and EVERY plate they stamp is warped. I feel your pain. Mine doesn't stay on the rubber pegs either.
My wife's GA plate arrived yesterday. It was warped. I removed the rubber plugs by hand and replaced them with two plastic license plate nuts, screwed them down, and no vibration of the plate when the hatch is closed. This is a $3.00 fix.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put two layers of gaffers tape on the back of the plate, one horizontal and one vertical. This helped reduce the warping and also made the plate more rigid and snug with the bottom pins since the holes I made in the tape were slightly smaller than the holes of the plate.

There are several advantages of using gaffers tape over other sorts of tape, like duct tape. Gaffers tape is removable and does not leave a residue, it is waterproof, it is quite strong, and it typically comes in black.

I am a photographer, so I always have some around. You can typically find it at professional photo shops, theatrical supply houses and some art supply stores.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Is this seriously a topic? They are just two rubber bits the holes on the bottom of the plate fit into to keep it from bouncing around, hitting the trunk/hatch.. I don't need 4 screws to hold it down lol

Posted via iPhone 4S

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is this seriously a topic? They are just two rubber bits the holes on the bottom of the plate fit into to keep it from bouncing around, hitting the trunk/hatch.. I don't need 4 screws to hold it down lol

Posted via iPhone 4S
Some topics have more relevance than others. I usually respond to the one's I find interesting. Merry XMAS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts