Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other morning i was cleaning '12 SEL, i just finished the windshield and then i was going to clean the wiper blades. I cleaned the driver side blade and moved to the passenger side, as soon as i picked up the arm the wiper blade pops off which caused me to release the wiper arm and it slammed into the windshield leaving this nice mark:

So after 5 minutes of kicking myself in the butt for not laying the towel i had sitting on the hood onto the windshield i called my insurance co. and was able to get it replaced for free. My insurance co. used safelite autoglass to do the repair and i opted for the service to be done at my house.

The technician showed up on time and was cool with me taking pics and helping with the project. Now to the how to portion step by step as the technician did it:

First: pop that hood and remove the upper cowl panel ( 2 screws and 4 pushpins)

2ND: Remove the thick rubber seal that sits between the cowl and hood

3RD: Remove the windshield wiper arms, first remove the rubber bolt cover and then remove the nuts with a 15mm socket, you will need to rock them back and forth to get the wiper arms off the wiper motors. Be sure not to lose the washers when you take the nuts off.

4TH: once both windshield wiper arms are off (and you put the bolts and washers in a safe spot) remove the windshield trim. Using an interior clip removal tool, wiggle underneath the locking tabs until they pop off

5TH; after the trim is removed you can now remove the upper cowl you were working on in previous steps, it will just lift off. ( the angle of the first picture gets a good shot of the factory strut tower brace)

6TH: the technician then got the new windshield out of his vehicle and applied an adhesion promoter (didnt get a pic of the product he used but you can see where it was applied.

7TH: He removed a thin rubber seal from the bottom of the windshield that was also attached to the cowl section of the firewall.

8TH: he then got his windshield wire in place and ready to cut the old seal.

NOTE: be sure the wire goes in between the cowl and lower part of the window as shown by the arrow. he warned that if the ire was not placed as so it could cut the welds between the cowl and firewall.

9TH: Next the tensioning device was suctioned to the inside of the window and the windshield was was then looped in it using a socket wrench he then cranked on it which caused the wire to cut the seal.

I didnt get anyshots of the windshield being taken off as i helped with that. Here are a few shots with the windshield out.

This is a picture of the factory windshield removed showing a locating tab (there is on on each side of the inner glass) that is used by ford at the factory to ensure proper alignment. The replacement windshield did not have these tabs.

10TH: scraping out the old sealant, he got out most of it but said to always leave a little of the old seal in place because the type of adhesive used from the factory adheres better to paint.

The next pics show a rubber type prep product used to fill any areas in the left over sealant showing paint

11TH: Applying the new sealant

12TH: putting in the new windshield, i also helped here and was only able to get pics afterwards.

There is some snow on the windshield and the markings in yellow and white are from their parts supplier, not from a junkyard. That was the first thing i asked when i seen the writing.

From here it is re installation of the cowl cover, window trim, wiper arms, and owl to hood gasket. the whole process was about 90 minutes and was a good learning experience for me. i want to thank the technician for letting me take pics and be involved in the project, he was awesome and did a great job!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about the laser/ radar/ sensor parts that are fixed on the windshield? Is it easy to fix those ones to the new windshield?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My focus didn't have any type of wiring or antenna built into the windshield. But I'm sure it would just be a male and female connector

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great photos, thank you! I was actually driving home to my parents house over Christmas and discovered that a rock had hit my windshield and caused an enormous crack spanning from left to right covering the entire bottom third of my windshield. I'm tempted to call my insurance about it, but I'm worried I'm going to be paying a lot out of pocket to get it replaced.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since you brought up the junkyard thing......if it was me, I would of been happier with OEM glass off a junk yard car as opposed to the new but cheap shiat glass safelite uses. All the same to most people I guess as long as you get a decent piece with no waves/funhouse effect/etc especially at the bends, they do a decent enough job installing, and you aren't in an area with sand/small debris that could cause significant pitting in weaker glass nevermind rocks causing cracks/breaks....but all auto glass is not created equal, that's for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you ask if there were any issues or long term effect of installing the glass with it that cold (since you said it was snowing)?

I've never had a windshield replaced but i've always wondered how well they handle expansion/contraction at the sealant if they were installed at the extreme ends of the temp range.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Did you ask if there were any issues or long term effect of installing the glass with it that cold (since you said it was snowing)?

I've never had a windshield replaced but i've always wondered how well they handle expansion/contraction at the sealant if they were installed at the extreme ends of the temp range.
Butyl or Urethane is pretty flexible... you'd be surprised!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had to do mine too. No idea what happened but I came into my car one morning and I had a crack across half my windshield. $350 later it's replaced

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had to replace the windshield on my 2012 after only 7 months. I'd been driving along a paved back road when a SUV going probably 20 over went past in the other direction and it kicked up a rock that put a 4 inch Crack in the glass. By the time I got home the Crack was 15 inches and extended all the way to the edge and right in front of the driver position.

I had Safelite replace it but when I was driving home the wipers were screwed up - seems they had them swapped. Went back and they swapped them back.

I don't get the feeling that the standard glass is very good and that it cracked easily.

Brian

·
Registered
472 Posts
Local safelite scratched the living hell out of my hood on my last vehicle. When I said something to him he just shrugged. Well at least until I refused to pay when he was done. Then he got to caring. Next time it happens I am going to watch the guy the entire time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts