Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Of course the typical plugs,fuel filter, look at the belt, you could check the battery for cca's. Check the brakes & flush the brake fluid. Possibly change your air filter, w/ a replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far Felix I have changed the spark plugs and put the e3 plugs in. My dad works at Napa and has for about 24 years so I get my stuff pretty much free. I have changed the tranny fluid and filter. It has new brakes all the way around but for some reason they are still noisy as hell. I even bought new drums and had the rotors turned and still crazy squeeking. Brand new tires. I just did the short ram intake on it thanks to the awesome people i have met on here also has a new filter for that. I just did the exhaust and cut out the lunch box, replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow and removed the second cat and just put in the straight pipe in there. My major question is the timing belt how much of a pain in the ass is it. And when does it need to be I how long of a job is it and what kind of special tools if any am I looking at. I don't want to let this go because God rest her soul my 89 Honda prelude snapped a belt and the motor went ka bam lol that car was so much fun with the four wheel steering and manual transmission with the 2.0 si in it. Anyways any and all information is always greatful from my wonderful new friends here.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You've got a duratec 2.3 = no timing belt. Chain driven cams in these, so the only belt is the serpentine for accessories.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is news to me lol I have never had a chain driven car before. What kind of service needs to be done to the chain if any at all.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not a thing on these, chain tensioner is auto adjusting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Straight from Ford's maintenance guide: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04nmgmg5e.pdf

100,000 miles
Change engine oil and replace oil filter
Rotate tires
Inspect accessory drive belt(s)
Replace spark plugs
Change coolant
Replace PCV valve
Multi-point inspection (recommended)

I would definitely recommend the PCV valve as that'll give you trouble down the road at some point. Might as well do it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help. I have always had cars with timing belts and it sucked doing them lol. I just didn't want it to snap on me if it had one. I drive 100 miles round trip a day for school and want to keep up on everything because this car has to last me. What are the chances of the linkage in the chain breaking and if they do what kind of damage are we talking about. Total engine replacement? Just wondering like I said this car has to last me another two or three years.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. I have always had cars with timing belts and it sucked doing them lol. I just didn't want it to snap on me if it had one. I drive 100 miles round trip a day for school and want to keep up on everything because this car has to last me. What are the chances of the linkage in the chain breaking and if they do what kind of damage are we talking about. Total engine replacement? Just wondering like I said this car has to last me another two or three years.
I've never heard of a Focus timing chain breaking. There's quite a few folks on here that have over 200k on theirs and they're stilling running strong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing I wanted to ask is there is a clunking noise when I go keep bumps or gravel in my lower front end is what it sounds like. I have replaced the struts and had a alignment done on it. I'm wondering if this would possibly be the ball joints or tie rods. It does it on both sides of the car. I have brand new tires on it and don't want them to get chewed up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Another thing I wanted to ask is there is a clunking noise when I go keep bumps or gravel in my lower front end is what it sounds like. I have replaced the struts and had a alignment done on it. I'm wondering if this would possibly be the ball joints or tie rods. It does it on both sides of the car. I have brand new tires on it and don't want them to get chewed up.
Have the sway bar end links ever been replaced? That's a common one with these cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing has been done to this car lol I am the third owner my mom was the second and because my dad does not like ford's he didn't do anything to it. I will check that out. I'm going to mechanics school so I can put it on a lift pretty much when ever I want.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah definitely check the front sway bar end links then. If those are bad I'd recommend getting a good set of aftermarket ones with zerk fittings on them so you can grease them up every other oil change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts