Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 SES that my wife drives mostly just turned 100K miles the past few days. I am the original owner. Here are some highlights.

1) New tires at 36K and 98K miles.
2) New plugs at 45K and 97K miles.
3) Extended oil change intervals with Mobil One extended oil.
4) Trans fluid changed at 32K and 88K miles.
5) New front brakes at 78K miles.
6) Valve cover gasket started to leak at 82K miles but bolts were loose and
tightened them up to stop leak. Changed gasket anyway its so easy.
7) No other issues or problems and the Focus has been terrific to 100K.
there are no recalls or tsb's on my vin number.
8) Plan on getting 300K plus from this Focus. I sold my 02 ZX5 in July at 225Kmiles and it was running great. These Focus cars last a long time and are very reliable.

Just bought Focus #6 in July and it was my 2015 ST. These Focus cars have been great to me and that is why I keep buying. Have owned at least one Focus sometimes two for the last 15 years. Next up will be an RS at some point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi

That's awesome. I have a similar experience. I bought my ZX3 in December 1999 and replaced it in 2008 4door SES 5spd. My Mark I had tons of issues but all fixed by Ford. Hassle though. My Mark II is fantastic and I have just 70k on it. I haven't had any issues with it. The only issue is I have a daughter now an it us a bit cramped for 3 passengers. Hanging in there though. I wish you luck with the ST. That would be my choice too.

Totally Focused,

2008 Ford Focus

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2008 Ford Focus. Just had the ST out earlier. Its such a fun Focus to drive. What Philly area are you in. My friend lives in Malvern near West Chester.
Its such a nice area. Will be there in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just got a 2008 SE 127,000 miles.It was my nieces. When it was hers I replaced the sway bar end links.Just replaced them again Duralasts not lasting LOL. I also did the fuel,trans filters and the plugs and boots. This one replaces my 06 I sold in March and bought a F150.I miss that little car brother has it now. It has over 140,000 miles I bought it new. List of what I did was trans,fuel filters every 30,000 plugs,brakes and tires.No issues as all except 2 sets of bad tires in a row.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am looking forward to driving my recently acquired 2009 Focus (79K) for many years to come (and at little expense). My 1999 Ford Ranger recently pasted 200K and has been as reliable as a blacksmith's anvil. The Subaru that the Focus replaced was a money pit, it never let me down but required constant parts replacement. My old 1986 Audi 5000 turbo quattro sedan went to the junkyard at 300K miles, the body was good but everything underneath rusted away thanks to Ohio winter roads.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm planning on running my 2011 until it doesn't go any more. It only has 57K on it though. It has a hard life - lots of city driving start/stop type of stuff when it was new and now I use it to tow a popup camper. Lets see how long it lasts :)

I haven't had to do too much, though it is in the shop right now getting a new thermostat.

How long did you extend the oil change interval to, 04SVTZX5? Now that I am out of warranty, I plan on going to 10,000.

If I can keep it from rusting. And I am also starting to look at stuff I can buy for it ... like a rear subframe and such.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miller88- How long did you extend the oil change interval to, 04SVTZX5? Now that I am out of warranty, I plan on going to 10,000.

10K miles is the shortest interval I have done on my SES. Sometimes 11K or 12K. My 2002 ZX5 that I sold back in July to get the ST always had 12K to 15K interval changes from new and that Focus had 225K miles on her with no engine problems or issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm at about 111k with my 2009, 10k oil intervals, Motorcraft filters and 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. I haven't done an oil sample but I'm comfortable with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you guys are changing the Transmission fluid are you just dropping the pan and only replacing the amount that was in the pan or are you using some other method to get more fluid out?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When you guys are changing the Transmission fluid are you just dropping the pan and only replacing the amount that was in the pan or are you using some other method to get more fluid out?
With a transmission like in these, I'd go for quite frequently. I'm not familiar with the auto trans Focii - but you can probably use a vacuum pump or fluid pump to suck out old fluid through the dipstick.

Miller88- How long did you extend the oil change interval to, 04SVTZX5? Now that I am out of warranty, I plan on going to 10,000.

10K miles is the shortest interval I have done on my SES. Sometimes 11K or 12K. My 2002 ZX5 that I sold back in July to get the ST always had 12K to 15K interval changes from new and that Focus had 225K miles on her with no engine problems or issues.
Plan is for 10,000 give or take. I ended up going around 8000 on the Motorcraft oil ... had to change since it started to get cold (didn't realize there wasn't going to be any winter this year). This run will probably be 10000 since I'll hit it some time during the summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm only at 85,000 on my 2011 SE. I just recently cleaned the throttle body (It was filthy). Oil changes every 7.5K. Been serviced at the dealership since it was new.

There's only three things wrong with my car. The seats seem to get creases at the edges very quickly. Even in the rear seats, which have only been used about ten times. An annoying squeaking sound coming from the front right suspension. And a rotor that I've had to replace twice on the front left, and have to get it replaced again.

Otherwise, she's a good car. Averaging around 33 MPG in the summer, 29 in the winter. Around 70% city driving.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the squeak coming from the front suspension on bumps too. It's a bit strange. And the drivers seat is creased pretty bad. But I have got in and out of the car a million times.

How did you clean the throttle body? I need to clean mine one of these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, it's really strange, I had it inspected and they couldn't determine what it was. It really only seems to do it when it's cold outside.

To clean the throttle body, I picked up some Throttle Body cleaner and shop towels from Auto Zone. You go to your air filter, undo the clips that go to it. Then you go to your throttle body (It's attached to your air filter via a hose) loosen the hose clamp and release the hose. At that point, clean the outer ring of the throttle body with a small amount of cleaner. Wipe it down. Then gently open your throttle body (It's easier to hold it open with a small tool than your finger) and spray a small amount on the butterfly valve and the side walls and wipe with a shop towel.

Once you're done, reverse the process and let it dry.

It WILL hesitate to start when you go to start it. It might not start at all. Wait about 10-15 seconds and start it again. Then you should let it idle for 2 minutes before driving it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts