Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright..I am in the rare position to spend 1000 dollars on my focus. I have I/E/STS/17" konigs/FS strut brace.....

What combination of mods could I get for 1000 that would gain me the most benefit and maximize my dollar?

I want primarily POWER but I would also like some handling adjustments as well...

Some options include Throttle body, header, Intake mani., SCT tune, ANY suspension upgrades...

If I forgot anything lemme know.

SO if any of you were in my shoes what woulD YOU do???

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you had a zetec motor and a exhaust. My turbo kit would of been perfect.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It also depends on the route you wanna take in the end. If you wanna go FI or stay NA.

For example: Don't buy race headers if you want a put a turbo on it. Unless you want to mount the turbo in the piping after the headers or something.

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
I'd get a nice set of cams like crane 1's ($300) Cossie header ($350) and a tune ($350) that should give you like 25 whp .......

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Xcal2 definately helps you out. I don't think a header will pass CA emissions testing since one of the cats is in the exhaust manifold that the header would replace.

Those lower motor mounts, whether the inserts or the VF mount, will stop the motor from slamming back on hard launches. If you have an auto, this might not be as big of a deal. It will also transfer more of the vibrations from the motor to the rest of the car. This is an issue for some people, not for others. I haven't replaced mine yet, but I don't do many hard launches.

Good luck, and have fun [thumb]

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stellar! Thanks a bunch fellas. So far I have decided on the VF motormount...and that is all. I have to do some more research on the other parts.

Cams seem a little extreme to me because I do not have a good garage to take my motor apart in and I don't have more than a day to spare because I drive to work 5 days a week.

The Draxas and/or cossie header does not sound THAT difficult to replace...but I do worry about passing emissions...though I could always just replace it once again before I get smogged.

I have done a little bit of research on the Tune and it does seem like a pretty cool idea....but it seems complicated to me. I mean how do you choose what kind of tune you want on your car? Is this something the dude's at FS could help me with? I only live an hour and a half away from them and I was actually thinking of visiting my girlfriend up in LA this week..I may be able to stop by on the way up or on the way down.

I would like to get my car dyno'd to see where I am at right now...I have the FS intake and a good custom exhaust so...if my numbers are correct...I should be putting out about 160 ft/lbs and maybe 150HP at the crank. If YOUR numbers are correct SoCalD that would mean I would probably be putting out an even 180HP/Torque at the crank with all the afformentioned mods (cams, cossie header and tune)...sound about right?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so how does THIS sound????

A. SVT Suspension Kit: 240
B. Draxas Header: 400
C. VF rear motor mount: 100
D. BS Delete: 40
E. FC Throttle Body: 240

Also..will the combnation of the VF and the BS Delete REALLY make my car unbearable? I do have a girlfriend who gets motion sickness....

·
Registered
298 Posts
xcal 2 would be your best buy along with basic motor upgrades(cams, mounts, headers, TB, etc.) and suspension. Me personally I am going to save up for the FS turbo. :D

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
turbovation said:
Alright so how does THIS sound????

A. SVT Suspension Kit: 240
B. Draxas Header: 400
C. VF rear motor mount: 100
D. BS Delete: 40
E. FC Throttle Body: 240

Also..will the combnation of the VF and the BS Delete REALLY make my car unbearable? I do have a girlfriend who gets motion sickness....
I have the BSD and MAC mount. The vibration is totally tolerable.
BTW, the BSD is on sale right now from Marcy Motorsports. He has plenty in stock.
http://marcymotorsport.com/html/focus/23D/focus_2_3_duratec_engine.htm

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
id go with the Draxas header, ive got one and my car is MEAN! Comes with all sensor mounts unlike a few other headers on the market for the focus. So no check engine light for me. Only prob is it is really loud, since you lose your catty. So theres 400 bucks spent. I wouldnt even bother with the suspension kit because the Focus is built with great suspension already. Maybe a front strut bar. Then i would buy that 67 mm throttle body. Then I would buy some SCT Tuning because you will now have the basic power package.(intake, exhaust, header) You can tell the people at Focus sport or where ever you buy the tuning program from what youve done to your car and they will tune it around those mods. Id save what evers left for some Nology Hotwire spark plug convertors. MORE SPARK, MORE POWER.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool Boosta..I like the idea of the dra..xas and tune and throttle body. I know my car comes with a nice suspension but I am almost certain I want a new set up. Mycar handles nicely but it sits up real high like a truck! mmmmm.power...I already have the strut tower brace.

·
Registered
444 Posts
if you feel like your sitten high go sit in a full size your car will feel low again...lol jk maby consider a lowering kit.

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
only 25 whp for all those mods?
OK maybe 30 .....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.