Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new to the forums so i hope that anything i say here it does not offend anyone. I am sure this question has been asked before but i hope i can get your opinion on it. I have a 2013 ford focus hatchback 5speed i enjoy it but i would like to know what can i do to improve the performance a little, i know people will say get an ST, i cant right now, maybe in the future anyways. I have a $1000 budget, i was looking at CAI too much options and i am not sure if snorkle delete and a drop in fitler will deliver the same performance versus a 300 cai, or if i will even notice the difference. Anyways, any air intake recommendations, and maybe a catback exhaust? I was considering doing a tune down the like but havent heard of any for the 2.0l na engine. Anyways excuse me for the lengthy post, just a fellow focus driver looking to do some improvements on the car. cheers.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the performance section for your engine.

Better place to find info. on mods..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about to pull the trigger on the steeda CAI ill wait few hours before i make the decision unless someone offers a better option! thanks guys!

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
I would do a tune ( not just because I sell them ), a drop in filter , these are going to give you the best bang for the buck till you add other mods , Exh , header etc

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom i have heard your name around the forums! I was on your site, can you tell me with a CAI and your tune would i notice it in my everday driving? thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking to improve the vehicle one mod per month, i would rather start with the performance (engine) then move on to handling, suspension, brakes, then asthetics/bodywork.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
99% of all my customers say they feel an improvement from my tune , I sell a full custom tune to your mods , your driving style and your Focus , you also get free tune updates as you add more NA mods to your Focus for as long as you own it

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
Any mod to your engine can effect your warranty , always remove a tune when going to the dealer , if they do a flash updates you will loose your tune and lock your flash/tuner then have to send it back to SCT for a unlock , its free but a hassle and you pay the shipping

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi i am new to the forums so i hope that anything i say here it does not offend anyone. I am sure this question has been asked before but i hope i can get your opinion on it. I have a 2013 ford focus hatchback 5speed i enjoy it but i would like to know what can i do to improve the performance a little, i know people will say get an ST, i cant right now, maybe in the future anyways. I have a $1000 budget, i was looking at CAI too much options and i am not sure if snorkle delete and a drop in fitler will deliver the same performance versus a 300 cai, or if i will even notice the difference. Anyways, any air intake recommendations, and maybe a catback exhaust? I was considering doing a tune down the like but havent heard of any for the 2.0l na engine. Anyways excuse me for the lengthy post, just a fellow focus driver looking to do some improvements on the car. cheers.
It is all how you really look at it, what gives you the sense of increasing performance? is it hitting the pedal and hearing the car make lots of noise? is it tossing it around the corners?

I had a steeda CAI and quite frankly it wasn't my favorite mod(made more noise than anything else, I would have needed a tune like toms to really get anymore out of it). However I upgraded my rear sway bar and that has given me a more fun car to drive. Perhaps you might want to look at the ford racing handling pack which can be had for $600 apparently. This will help take some of the guess work out of paring up a few different mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Lfrench, you have a link to the ford racing handling pack? I think i will just do snorkel delete and drop a $50 cone filter by k&n or AEM in there and save the other $ on a tune and some other things this upcoming months like a catback and updating the handling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thing is ive read over 80+ posts on the snorkel delete and basic filter set up, i am not sure what to expect in comparison to a $300 CAI/SRI i heard many positive things that just doing the snorkel/delete with a new filter is a noticeable improvement, i would like someone to just steer me in the right direction, its my first car and first time decing to do some modification. thanks !

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
From what I understand, most aftermarket intakes are open to the engine bay, so if the car isn't moving it could be taking in hot air. Whereas the stock airbox with a drop in and snorkel delete is sealed off to the engine bay (assuming you get a closed-end filter). So that's the route I'm choosing.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Honestly I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the RMM. The stock one is crap and should be replaced. Upgrading will help you put power down to the wheels and improve shifter feel. If I could do it over again I'd do a drop in filter with the snorkel delete and newmission mod. Paired with the RMM insert (>$10) and a tune ($400). After that I'd tackle the exhaust and suspension (Springs & RSB). Also since you have the 5MT I'd consider the Steeda short shifter bracket. All of those would drastically increase performance and drivabillity without completely breaking the bank.

·
Registered
952 Posts
thing is ive read over 80+ posts on the snorkel delete and basic filter set up, i am not sure what to expect in comparison to a $300 CAI/SRI i heard many positive things that just doing the snorkel/delete with a new filter is a noticeable improvement, i would like someone to just steer me in the right direction, its my first car and first time decing to do some modification. thanks !
I have the Steeda and aside from the performance when tuned it is my view that air-intake vs. snorkel+filter essentially boils down to bling and a bit of noise. I've also got an engine cover during the winter which brings the noise down, and adding a 2.5 cat-back has resulted in the air flow smoothing out so the Steeda is again much quieter than when it was first put on. Looks fabulous though.

From what I understand, most aftermarket intakes are open to the engine bay, so if the car isn't moving it could be taking in hot air.
...so if the car isn't moving it WILL be taking in hot air. :D I'm actually looking to fabricate additional shield elements to further separate the Steeda box from the hot part of the engine bay. But yes, it's good at heat-soak as it is with all of the others, AEM included (but it's still the closest to "cold air" barring the stock setup.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I understand, most aftermarket intakes are open to the engine bay, so if the car isn't moving it could be taking in hot air. Whereas the stock airbox with a drop in and snorkel delete is sealed off to the engine bay (assuming you get a closed-end filter). So that's the route I'm choosing.

Thanks! You mind sharing with me the type of drop in filter you are using? Do you think there is a difference between using a cone type vs drop in filter? thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the RMM. The stock one is crap and should be replaced. Upgrading will help you put power down to the wheels and improve shifter feel. If I could do it over again I'd do a drop in filter with the snorkel delete and newmission mod. Paired with the RMM insert (>$10) and a tune ($400). After that I'd tackle the exhaust and suspension (Springs & RSB). Also since you have the 5MT I'd consider the Steeda short shifter bracket. All of those would drastically increase performance and drivabillity without completely breaking the bank.

I will be ordering this morning right now

http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...urethane-oe-mount-insert-ford-focus-2012-2014

http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...ystem-ford-focus-duratec-tivct-2-0l-2012-2014

btw you know if there is a benefit of the more expensive RMM by cobb?

http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...-lower-rear-engine-mount-ford-focus-2012-2013

its $159 RMM vs $9.

thanks man! [burnout]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts