Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i found a gas station by my home w/ 100-110 oct race gas. SInce my car is tuned for 93 could i stick some in it or will that be a bad idea?>

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
it should be fine but contact your tuner, theyll know for sure if you put 93 in on your stock tune is that bad? not really normally runs better so it should be the same with 100-110.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
when i was gettinng my car tuned,i askes tom the same question, and he said that it will actually run better. thank again i have a turbo and am tuned for 93 oct. i stil lthink it should be all right

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
just to be on the safe side, see if you can get a tune for that race gas. you might be all right using it, but it still might cause some problems. even if it doesn't, a high octane tune will be able to make better use of the gas, anyways.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Are you running high compression (>14:1) or a lot of boost? If you're not there's no need for anything higher than 93, and if you're running on a stock CR (9.6:1) there's no need for 93.

·
Registered
295 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Are you running high compression (>14:1) or a lot of boost? If you're not there's no need for anything higher than 93, and if you're running on a stock CR (9.6:1) there's no need for 93.
exactly, its just like using airplane fuel, it should be used in a certain engine, and certain circumstances, and will most likely hurt your performance, not increase it.

·
Registered
25,618 Posts
Well, it really depends on the fuel... All race fuel is not the same. The big problem with airplane avgas is that it is designed to burn best at a high altitude, and we don't drive up there... Quite often fuel will allow your car to run better, a bit crisper perhaps, but without a specific tune for it you are only going to achieve minimal results for the amount of money you are spending, with a dedicated tune you can get more, but you really only need it if the engine is built up for it ( turbo High CR etc. )
If it is unleaded it will not hurt your car and if it is leaded one or two tanks aren't going to kill your cat, but I believe it will over time, not sure that is a fact though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
octane rating simply is the resistance to detonation. if you are tuned for 93 octane and you put in some street blaze 101 or something, your just wasting your money. it does not make more power, it lets your engine make more power because it can be tuned more agressively. some may say that they "felt a difference" but thats bullshit all it might do is smooth out your idle on a hot day. so unless you are having detonation problems or are tuned for 110, dont waste your money.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
There's more than just tuning...you can't "tune" a low compression N/A engine like the Zetec to run 93 octane. Now if you raise compression or add FI running 91 or 93 becomes necessary, but its not the gas that adds the power, the gas is letting you change your configuration to make more power without destroying your internals in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts