Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1339 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's general opinion from what I've seen but I think they are pretty decent if you service them a lot more than what Ford says to do. Also, where I live it's mostly highway miles which are easy on an ATX. Stop and go will kill it sooner. Mine had a couple glitches, slipped a bit here and there when it's very cold out, range sensor gets weird on gravel roads. All in all though, it's pretty good for 200K on the odometer. Sadly it was in a crash and I'll be looking for something else.

Why would someone say the trans are weak?
My car (also an 07 SES ATX) shifts flawlessly smooth. Though I also siphon out three liters every summer.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,867 Posts
It's general opinion from what I've seen but I think they are pretty decent if you service them a lot more than what Ford says to do. Also, where I live it's mostly highway miles which are easy on an ATX. Stop and go will kill it sooner. Mine had a couple glitches, slipped a bit here and there when it's very cold out, range sensor gets weird on gravel roads. All in all though, it's pretty good for 200K on the odometer. Sadly it was in a crash and I'll be looking for something else.
I had a 2001 ZX3 ATX as a DD that had 178K on the original trans. I drove it for 18 months with the reverse clutchs out in it lol. You had to rev it up gently then it would engage just enough to back up a little. Drove like a raped ape going forward.

My current MK1's all have original ATX's.

150K on the blue ZTS, 170K on the wagon, and 108K on the ZX3. [headbang]

I really enjoy the comfort of the ATX for hiway DD and stop and go too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
149,XXX on my '03 ZX3 (and counting).
Original internals.
MTX trans now has new blocker rings and LSD but other than that all original too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
2003 Focus ZX5 manual
Original Owner

256,000 miles

No matter what, this car refuses to die.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
2003 Focus ZX5 manual
Original Owner

256,000 miles

No matter what, this car refuses to die.
Any major repairs?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
2006 zx4 with 335000 miles.
I change trans fluid/filter every 30-40k miles. It's just now starting to shift odd....it holds too long before shifting to overdrive. I think that's a solenoid issue. Kit w/a and b solenoids with filter is like 60 bucks online.
Change fuel filter every 15-20k miles. Still haven't had to change any ox sensors or cat converter. Factory air filter box is still showing green on the indicator.
About a third of miles is stop and go, idle conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
07 SE ZX4, 2.0, 5speed manual. 167,000 mi. Can't complain too much. Other than eating tires until I installed the $35 adjustable rear caster bolts. A/C compressor puked metal shavings throughout the system. Cost $1200 To fix. Engine sounds like timing belt needs replaced. Is there an easy way to check the belt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a little update. 2005 zx4 Duratec 2.0 I am ridiculously proud of my Focus and my completely uncharacteristic persistence on keeping my oil changes on schedule. I've used many different full synthetics but have never missed one 7500 mile interval. Yes I know synthetics can go double that but I'm sticking with my number, it's served me well so far. My mechanic skill level is about as close to professional as you can get without tech school, I do all my own repairs and the crazy thing is the repairs I've done on this car are very few and very far between. What amazes me the most is the fact that I've never replaced the starter and the only reason I replaced the alternator was because I needed one with a higher output. Everything else with the exception of services and small repairs like pulleys and gaskets is all original. I absolutely love the duratec. The transmission however, that's another story, and the one part of the car I leave to the professionals. And on a side note I'm currently in the market for another 05 to 07 body that I can transfer my motor and transmission into because mine has experienced a lot of potholes and is starting to twist in several places.

Attachments

·
Multi-Focusing
3,867 Posts
Latest mileage update on our gaggle of Foci...

2004 Comp O ZX5 SVT - 140K (original clutch)
2004 French Blue Metallic ZTS ATX - 157K (2.3 dtec)
2004 CD Silver ZTS MTX - 115K (2.3 dtec) (1 trans replacement)
2002 Sangria Red ZX3 MTX - 139K (ztec)
2002 Sangria Red ZX3 ATX - 119K (ztec)
2000 CD Silver Wagon ATX - 175K (ztec)

And just turned 11K on the RS...

[drinking]

·
Registered
1 Posts
01 2.0 spi 5peed 169,800 miles, most all oem parts. Leaks oil at the back of the head to the passenger side of the intake. It looks like a freeze plug but there is no room to work. Does anyone know what this is aside from calling it an expansion plug. I'm think of putting some grey rtv until I pull the motor/trans (timing chain, slave cylinder, clutch, rebuild head with upgraded valves... Ticking off 2 valves). In the picture, the expansion plug is the plug with oil sitting in it.

Attachments

1281 - 1300 of 1339 Posts