Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Dynamic High-Beams- complex array of LED lights and sensors can adjust to oncoming traffic by dimming and brightening, all on their own.

2. Dynamic Light Spot- Now this is really cool. It’s a technology that can identify pedestrians through infrared sensors, and then bathe them with a beam of light to make them easier to see

3. Strobe Brake Lights- Bet you didn't know these were illegal.

4. Dual-View Front Video Display- lets the central display screen on the dashboard show navigation, infotainment, or other typical information for the driver while simultaneously showing a movie. (Thank God, can you imagine people driving through intersections watching CSI.)

5. Rear-View Mirror Cameras- show what is behind you at all times.

6. Remote-Mount Magnetic Cameras- cameras that could be stuck to any steel surface, and stream a live video feed to the dashboard.

7. Lightweight Seats- American regulators won’t allow seats under a certain weight to be installed.

8. Aspherical Side Mirrors- the main part of the mirror surface is flat, but it curves away toward the outer edge to show all the space in your blind spot. (This is why the MK3 has two mirrors to cover the blind spot and meet regulations)

9. Remote Start- Legal in US but illegal in many other countries.

10. Satellite Radio-also legal in US but not so in many countries.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/10-car-options-the-law-wont-let-you-have#slide-2

Dynamic High Beam_________________________________________________Dynamic Light Spot

Attachments

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
There's a Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge dealer that installs a strobe module on the center brake light on all its cars and tries add on $299 to every car it sells. I gotta believe they confirmed it's legal, at least in Florida.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There's a Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge dealer that installs a strobe module on the center brake light on all its cars and tries add on $299 to every car it sells. I gotta believe they confirmed it's legal, at least in Florida.
third brake light is not the official brake lights. They cannot put the strobe on the 'real' brake lights.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Flashing light rules vary widely across the U.S., the typical intent is to reserve them for emergency vehicles & other special uses.

Mostly unenforced when use doesn't mimic special vehicle applications.

Permits are often required for colored or flashing lights, even when required to be used (like the flashing amber required for oversize loads).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why the heck is remote start illegal in the UK? Extra carbons n stuff?
Bingo. In an effort to reduce carbon emissions wherever possible, idling has been deemed illegal.

It hasn't been banned per se, the term used is "unnecessary" idling. It basically means that you can leave your car idling if you need to but if you get told by a police officer that you need to shut your engine off, you must or you'll be issued a fine.

The only place it's actually totally illegal to remain stationary with the engine on is on a public highway.

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/business/environmental-health/pollution-control/air-quality/vehicle-air-pollution/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Its also illegal to leave a car unattended with the engine running in the UK, as you are not in full control of the vehicle

People have been done for starting the car then getting out to scrape the ice off the windows (which is something everyone does!)

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Established in 1966 by 49 U.S.C. § 102, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) establishes overall transportation policy for the United States. Its goal is to ensure a "coordinated, effective administration of the transportation programs of the Federal Government."

FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

Motor vehicles - State statutes

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/table_motor_vehicles

Specifically, in regard to the strobe brake lights, the government is evaluating them. This is a long process as they must take into account unintended consequences. In other words, they must ascertain if a flashing brake light distracts drivers as to cause wrecks. (Imagine if every car in a long line of cars in traffic is strobing their brake lights at the same time)

This is a very long document but I have copied the conclusion:

Conclusion:

Data from empirical studies conducted as part of this effort suggest that increasing the luminance
of conventional steady-burn brake lamps does not appear to be an effective means of drawing
attention to the brake signal; no performance gains were osberved at luminance levels of either
420 or 840 cd. In contrast, substantial performance gains may be realized by increasing brake
lamp luminance levels under flashing configurations; detection rates under the 5Hz flashing lamp
configurations increased to approximately 70% when luminance levels were increased to 420 cd
– the current maximum luminance level allowable under FMVSS. However, increases beyond a
certain luminance threshold will not return substantive performance gains, suggesting that the
human eye does not respond in a linear fashion to changes in signal luminance. Signal viewing
distance also appears to moderate detection performance.

Unintended consequences and disbenefits associated with signal approaches. Many of
these signals represent novel cues and may lead to unexpected driver behaviors, including
undesirable and erratic responses to signals. Data is needed to quantify and characterize
any unintended or undesirable behaviors signals are likely to induce. The model currently
does not take into consideration potential system disbenefits.

Driver acceptance and annoyance. Signals which are attention getting may also tend to be
annoying. Wide scale implementation of signals perceived to be annoying may reduce
overall system acceptance and desirability.
Exposure rates quantifying the incidence with which a driver is not looking forward at the
onset of a lead vehicle braking event. The effects of signals modeled here are essentially
restricted to lead vehicle deceleration cases, and thought to act by drawing the driver’s
visual attention to the forward roadway or increase saliency of the lead vehicle. Data
which more precisely defines the rate of these situations (driver looking away at signal
onset) will benefit model estimates.

Performance data associated with other signal approaches including activation of the
hazards.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...7C6BrQ&usg=AFQjCNF0C3klJILkohnlp1j1xSgi2vRvgQ

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I think this is the product that the local Chrysler / Jeep dealer installs on all their cars.

http://www.pulseprotects.com/product-info/

Apparently it's not technically "flashing" and therefore is not breaking federal law. Instead, it pulses the 3rd brake light by varying the intensity between the minimum and maximum allowed by law. Everytime I've seen it on the roads it looks like it's flashing to me. [dunno]

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Driver acceptance and annoyance. Signals which are attention getting may also tend to be
annoying. Wide scale implementation of signals perceived to be annoying may reduce
overall system acceptance and desirability.
Yeah, I find the Dodge racetrack lights to be too bright and annoying. Makes the car stand out too much at night and could have unintended consequences. Looks pretty cool otherwise though.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's at least one dealer I know of here in the DFW metroplex that installs strobe brake lights on every new car as part of the pack on top of Monroney. Preliminary government test data does show that it increases visibility to driver's behind you.

My concern is I don't want any dealer splicing or monkeying around with my factory wiring harness on a brand new car. Imagine if the aftermarket no name strobe module failed suddenly and you were left with no brake lights.

As for legality, remember these are car dealers we are talking about.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
A number of different kits have been out for motorcycles since LONG before I saw any used on cars. The optional "modulating" headlight for the daytime in particular - though federally legal - often runs into trouble with localities. Carrying a copy of statutes is NOT reported to save all users from tickets being issued, so it can be a PITA even if you win in court. Many choose to use them anyways, and deal with any issues as they happen.

One of the favorite Cycle ones for the rear gives a series of pulses (brake & turn both is an option) when first pressing the brakes & then goes steady again, MUCH better IMHO than something that continues pulsing while the brakes are on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And I also have the brake light feature too - if I could locate the paperwork that came with it, I'll post it. For California, I had to snip a wire that prevented rapid flashing of the brake lights to just a flashing of them for a moment until they go to steady on, as CA requires brake lights to be on solid while stopped in traffic lanes or something to that effect.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts